Uber tipping - yay or fuck nay?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The tipping thing also is a question of style. Some have it, some don't, that's about it.

"Get a better job then" is easier said than done in some cases.

Met a guy, an American, who traveled to Germany. Went to a bar, tried to give a tip for the bartender. Bartender said 'I make enough' and pushed the money back. The American pushed the money towards the barkeep and said 'I insist' and the bartender, pushing the money back, said, 'Do it again and you're out.'

Is his story for real or what? What's tipping like in Germany? Does it exist aside from exceptional service?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I tipped for some things while visiting germany, but not at most bars. A lot of the tourist stuff had information on whether or not to tip.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm half polish jew and the southern half was way too poor to be slave owners. They grew cantaloupe in south georgia.

In ancient Egypt you would have chided your brothers for joining an exodus away from the slavers.

because the master should not have to pay the slave, when the slave can beg for money from strangers.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The tipping thing also is a question of style. Some have it, some don't, that's about it.

"Get a better job then" is easier said than done in some cases.

Tipping is style?

No. Paying employees is style.

But this isn't about the american restaurant scene, which is corrupt regardless. It's about introducing serfish notions to an area that didn't have it - ride sharing, in order to justify cutting the money paid to drivers.

Because the lion's share doesn't fill the stomach of a lion who has eaten well for too many a day.

Hippo

SEARCH, FUNCTION, GOD!,
15 Year Member
Bunch of cheap fucks we got here, lol.

LMAO Real shit some of these bastards spend big cash on games and wont give the waiter a few dollars. 8man better tip like a king metal slug themed pool my ass fuck 8man lol

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
LMAO Real shit some of these bastards spend big cash on games and wont give the waiter a few dollars. 8man better tip like a king metal slug themed pool my ass fuck 8man lol

This forum is filled w/a buncha manchildren who spend most of their money on games and skimp on living like a normal goddam adult. Fuckers living at home so they can buy more games instead of growing the fuck up. Brokeasses affording cabs and expensive PCBs, but use an old kitchen countertop as a desk. Laughable.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I work hard and no one gives me tips!!! :(

I don't even get overtime :(

But seriously like minimum 60 hour weeks and no overtime. Salary employees get totally screwed. I'm sure I make less than minimum wage :(

You guys should tip me for the joy I bring you on a daily basis.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Tipping is style?

No. Paying employees is style.

But this isn't about the american restaurant scene, which is corrupt regardless. It's about introducing serfish notions to an area that didn't have it - ride sharing, in order to justify cutting the money paid to drivers.

Because the lion's share doesn't fill the stomach of a lion who has eaten well for too many a day.

Yup, paying employees is style but that's not going to happen in some jobs so most of the time I give my two cents to balance things out a bit and be done with it. That doesn't mean I'd throw money away for a scheme that abuses tips as a filler for low pay, I know when to tip and when to keep my heard-earned Euros. Still, sometimes I just want to give my appreciation for a well-done job, and if it's appropriate, I have no prob with rounding up the total or giving an extra buck or two. Doesn't hurt me and makes some guy or gal happy, where's the harm in that.

Sage,

tipping over here is common for waiters, taxi drivers, garbage men (once a year, usually around Christmas), craftsmen, publicans (NOT bartenders, except for rounding up) and a few other trades, that's about it. We make a distinction between pubs and bars, the latter usually are way more fancy and the owners or bartenders see themselves above a normal publican who serves beer and schnapps to ppl. Not all of them would react like the guy you described but well... artists, eh...

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
that's a whole lotta words to justify being a cheapskate

I'm not convinced yet
I never said I wasn't cheap. I just believe in paying people a decent wage, and providing them with the opportunities to get themselves out of the bottom rung jobs. Most people working in restaurants here are young 17-22 ish. They work, and go to school oftentimes. College here is heavily subsidized. So these youngsters get a chance to climb out of the shit and into something better. Yeah there's always the drug dealers who use jobs like that as a front. The people with a genuine desire to be chefs. The immigrants who need any job and have four. And the people with social and or mental issues who genuinely want to work but can't do much more than sweep floors.

Let's be real: the actual societal dregs here just sign onto the dole, get their free money every week, and sip cans while playing a stolen PlayStation all day. It is for lack of a better way of putting it: a working system. No one is forced to rely on the crutch of tips, no one is in a situation where tips are required to pay their rent. Because tipping isn't expected, and workers collect a real wage, waitresses aren't seen crying in the toilet because a table of teenagers left without tipping. Teenagers stiff you? Big whoop their parents only gave me just enough cash to get their food. And they weren't raised with this idea that you have to provide a magic 15-20% extra because of some unwritten social contract.

It makes you all the more happy when you do get a tip. And it makes you self reliant as opposed to relying on someone being kind to you. Some places here tried to run that automated gratuity for large parties. So people would just pay the price without the gratuity and leave. Everyone's got a calculator in their pocket these days. Don't be slimy and force people into unwritten rules.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I never said I wasn't cheap. I just believe in paying people a decent wage, and providing them with the opportunities to get themselves out of the bottom rung jobs. Most people working in restaurants here are young 17-22 ish. They work, and go to school oftentimes. College here is heavily subsidized. So these youngsters get a chance to climb out of the shit and into something better. Yeah there's always the drug dealers who use jobs like that as a front. The people with a genuine desire to be chefs. The immigrants who need any job and have four. And the people with social and or mental issues who genuinely want to work but can't do much more than sweep floors.

Let's be real: the actual societal dregs here just sign onto the dole, get their free money every week, and sip cans while playing a stolen PlayStation all day. It is for lack of a better way of putting it: a working system. No one is forced to rely on the crutch of tips, no one is in a situation where tips are required to pay their rent. Because tipping isn't expected, and workers collect a real wage, waitresses aren't seen crying in the toilet because a table of teenagers left without tipping. Teenagers stiff you? Big whoop their parents only gave me just enough cash to get their food. And they weren't raised with this idea that you have to provide a magic 15-20% extra because of some unwritten social contract.

It makes you all the more happy when you do get a tip. And it makes you self reliant as opposed to relying on someone being kind to you. Some places here tried to run that automated gratuity for large parties. So people would just pay the price without the gratuity and leave. Everyone's got a calculator in their pocket these days. Don't be slimy and force people into unwritten rules.

I think that's a case of slight over-analysation. Not tipping in order to dry out a problem like forcing workers to top-up their income with tips is not going to cut it where customers (including you and me) expect halfway payable prices for certain things, e.g. a cup of coffee in the morning or something like that at a small café or stall. Maybe you don't have so many of them over in the US but we do so I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If people are still living at their parents home, which was their original home, and never got their own place they are still living at home.

I know what you wanted to say, but needed to read you say it, because words have meaning.

Don't short change us, big typper.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Waiters cry about having a low salary w/ no hours but if you give them minimum wage w/ full-time hours they wouldn't do the job...I used to think Teachers dont get paid then i looked up my daughter's elementary teacher salary & she makes $75k a year w/ summer vacation off.

Marek

Banned
Waiters cry about having a low salary w/ no hours but if you give them minimum wage w/ full-time hours they wouldn't do the job...I used to think Teachers dont get paid then i looked up my daughter's elementary teacher salary & she makes $75k a year w/ summer vacation off.

Uhh teachers get paid differently state by state.

That number sure as shit wasn't in tennessee or Mississippi

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
75k a year, teaching elementary...how long she's been there, 20 years?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don't disagree with tipping but when people rely upon it to live it says quite a bit about the minimum wage situation. Each system to their own.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
75k a year, teaching elementary...how long she's been there, 20 years?

I teach second grade, been teaching for 13 years, and starting in August, I'll be bringing home a tiny bit over 5 grand per month @ slightly over 80 grand per year. That salary is for 188 days of work and spread across the year. It would be great if 1400 sq ft 40+ year old homes weren't going for $550,000 around here.

Oh, and i tip the waitress, the pizza delivery guy, and the lady who cuts my hair.

Last edited: