Ultimate MK3 pcb - bad PIC chip

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
What's up guys. Anyone here ever have an issue with the U64 rom going bad on a MK3 board? I'm assuming it was battery backed, because it worked just fine before I took the battery out...wish I knew earlier. Anyway I can't seem to find this chip anywhere. Anyone?

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
About the CMOS, I don't think so. I've had that issue with MK2 boards before, but they always worked fine. What happened was I removes the little coin battery to prevent leakage since I was gonna be storing the board for an extended period. I think that U64 rom is battery backed, because the board wouldn't even start without it. Once I placed a new battery in, the rom check came up, but I can't get past that screen. I don't know if its a security chip or what.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ah, U64 is the security chip. If it's bad you need to replace one from another UMK3. You can use one from a MK3 but then you would need to reburn the eproms for MK3 since you can't run a MK3 U64 on a UMK3 iirc.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
MK3 / UMK3 Security Chips are known to come loose off the socket. Completely reseat it if you haven't already.

If you are getting the common ROM Check and it can't get past the screen or it constantly resets without any errors posting. It's usually a ROM or other chip (Always check your Alteras, U41/U43) not seated properly or your PSU Voltages.

With the Wolf board being so large and flex of the PCB very easy, reseating is common.

Last edited:

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like the U64 is definitely bad. I've tried everything to no avail. I took a look at that any-U64 video, but I'd still need a security chip from another Wolf board. Hopefully I can fix this without paying for another board.