Underrated and/or challenging (but still fun) Mega Drive/Genesis/MCD/SCD/32X Games

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
Fantastic Dizzy for Megadrive. You can't save, at all, at any point, and the game is a solid 5+ hours. The person in this vid gets it done in under 2 hours:

EXCELLENT game. Some of the most memorable and enjoyable 68k music I've ever heard. I never did beat this.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
If I'm not mistaken, Dizzy was available for the A500 as well, or at least I recall a similar kind of game with a Humpty Dumpty -like main character.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Alisia Dragoon - quite underrated in the West, excellent action-platformer.

Granada - great maze shmup, gives me that oldschool vibe.

Thunder Force II - some say it's the weakest of the TF games but I love it a lot, it's a free-roaming top-down view shmup with hori parts and overall high difficulty, maybe it's this what drives people away.

Metal Head (32X) - visually, it's one of those super-blocky early 3D titles but still quite playable.

Wiz'n'Liz - high-speed platformer with excellent graphics and cool gameplay made by Psygnosis.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
If I'm not mistaken, Dizzy was available for the A500 as well, or at least I recall a similar kind of game with a Humpty Dumpty -like main character.

Dizzy was on there. The C64 got a few Dizzy games as well.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

I remember Treasure Island Dizzy which was not that bad.

There's about a dozen dizzy games out there.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
bought gaiares yesterday which is pretty awesome and I haven't heard a whole lot about it compared to thunderforce or something like that (also got thunderforce 3 yesterday! :) )

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I agree there highly over looked in it's day even now it sells for dirt cheap prices.Just afther getting a genesis again,i went ahead and got alisia dragoon right away.Even today i still find alisia dragoon playable to bad gamearts couldn't have made a follow up to it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
bought gaiares yesterday which is pretty awesome and I haven't heard a whole lot about it compared to thunderforce or something like that (also got thunderforce 3 yesterday! :) )

you will never be able to beat that game

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Alexkiddenchantedcastle1.jpg

THREAD OVER

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
(Knuckles) Chaotix. Poor level design but the tether system was a great way to make a team-based Sonic game. I adore the music as well.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member

Granada - great maze shmup, gives me that oldschool vibe.

Thunder Force II - some say it's the weakest of the TF games but I love it a lot, it's a free-roaming top-down view shmup with hori parts and overall high difficulty, maybe it's this what drives people away.

Metal Head (32X) - visually, it's one of those super-blocky early 3D titles but still quite playable.

Wiz'n'Liz - high-speed platformer with excellent graphics and cool gameplay made by Psygnosis.

Agree, I think most of telenet/renovation games are underrated.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Cool Spot- Wayyyy better than any game based on the red dot from the 7UP logo has any right to be. It's also pretty damn challenging.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Ranger X/ EX Ranza for the Genesis/Megadrive. One of the best Genesis/Megadrive games in every aspect.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have to concur with these two.
Wiz'n'Liz
Ranger X

I would also add:
Arcus Odyssey. Co-op or solo. Isometric-Gauntlet-RPG

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Predator 2. Isometric (smash tv-esque, but not quite) shooter with gore.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
ghostbusters, pretty decent platformer, and lets not forget herzog zwei, alot of people havent played due to it being overtly expensive :/

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Long as ya play it with a multitap and four friends then it's fun.

Also has some of the best music i've ever heard on a genesis.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Haunting starring polterguy. Point. game. Set. Match.

Last edited: