Unique Arcade Only Titles / or can't be emulated at an enjoyable level

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Greetings,

Nothing is better than discovering a game that for one reason or another just needs to be played on a cab.

I am looking to compile a list of quality titles that meet the following criteria:

1. Unported, ported terribly, or port doesn't match the same type of play experience
2. Unique gameplay
3. Play is significantly better on a cab
4. Emulation just doesn't work, or playing in MAME significantly changes the experience
5. PCB can play on most JAMMA cabinets w/o special controls or harnesses

Games that meet all criteria:
Kono E Tako
Newman Athletics
Powered Gear
Star Trigon
Raigo Strato Fighter
Gamshara
Crystal of Kings
Ninja Baseball Batman
Thunderhoop 2
Edward Randy
Mr. Driller 2
Mr. Drillr Great
Chocovader Contactee
Ninja Clowns

Please nominate some games for a master list and please explain WHY.

Last edited:

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
just about any games that requires special controls.

monkey ball
forgotten worlds
ikari warriors
arkanoid
puzzloop
baseball stars

racing games ,etc

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
I should have clarified....

5. And can drop straight into a standard JAMMA cab

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Now this...

This can and will prove to be an invaluable source of information as it develops over time. I have nothing to contribute at this point as far as games to add to the list (my knowledge of jamma stuff isn't that great as of yet), but I'll be watching this nonetheless!

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Well, I was going to add a few to the list, but rule #5 knocked most of them out. I am unsure which games are emulated poorly as I haven't really messed with emulation in quite some time. For me, the main reason to get an original arcade setup in many cases is the unique controls (Bass Fishing, Monkey Ball) or something added to the cabinet that adds to the gameplay (Irritating Maze, or racers).

Going to keep an eye on this thread :)

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
I know one of the Toaplan vertical run n' guns does not emulate well. Can't recall if it's Fixeight or Outzone - someone may know.

I've heard Edward Randy and Osman Cannon Dancer are no good in MAME either.

These are the type of games i'm hoping to compile - games where the PCB is the best experience...by far. Certainly I think most would agree the Dimahoo PCB experience is better than MAME, so I guess what i'm hoping to compile is where the difference is either EXTREME or there truly is no other viable way to play.

What about Cosmic Smash? - the controls seem smoother on NAOMI, the experience is definitely more intense when the speakers are right on top of you - but it's been a long while since i've played the port - not sure if I'd say it makes the cut or not...

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Ah, I get you now. The titles I mentioned are not extreme differences, in other words, they are fully playable with minor quibbles.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Outzone emulates just fine, but it's a must have ( essential ) tate game.

Meeting your criteria - Raiga Strato Fighter. Tecmo, 1991
Not well emulated and a hell of a shooter ( at least for it's time ).

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Space Zap is a pretty unique classic Midway game. Control scheme very hard to replicate properly.

spacezap.png

Spinner games in general but especially stuff like Mad Planets.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
No, I know about a lot of those games - but I think that needs to be another category entirely. I'd love to play Star Wars Pod Racer or Planet Harriers with the legit controls...but I don't think that's going to be feasible for a lot of us. Absolutely something that should be catalogued in an easy to navigate fashion (unlike stuff on KLOV) but I want this specific thread to essentially be: "Which JAMMA boards should I seek out because that experience can't be had via other reasonable means."

1up

Galford's Armourer
I am thinking the Raiden series. I'm almost sure that they don't work on mame.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Raiden II and DX were (rather recently) fixed in mame.

I'm sure there's got to be a few ST-V titles that are not on Saturn and fit criteria, as many ST-V games don't seem to emulate well yet.

Cyvern still has emulation errors with the background artwork, causing tanks to appear before you can shoot them (this messes up gameplay since using special attacks on ground units is a key scoring mechanic) or cause them to float in the air.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
No mention of the Hyper 64?

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Throwing in my vote for Segasonic The Hedgehog....

Has never been emulated properly due to issues with the trackball.

Nope. Rule #5.

5. PCB can play on most JAMMA cabinets w/o special controls or harnesses

Good thread MJ. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Gamshara is another Mitchell game that didn't receive a port IIRC. Crystal of Kings never got a port either and is a a pretty good beat em up, neat graphics style. Ninja Baseball Batman and Ninja Clowns, don't think either of those got ports either.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Cosmic smash seems pretty close from Dreamcast to Naomi to me. I almost think it works better with the pad, but that's likely because I played that and Virtua Tennis with a pad before playing the arcade versions. I don't crank the sound on either though so I can't comment there.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Sonic Arcade is emulated about as well as any other System32 game... That is to say with minor grafix glitches and screen studders. I used a Suzo/Happ USB trackball to play it, tripple buffering must be disabled and the analog control/mouse options must be enabled for it to work properly.

56-0300-16.jpg

Last edited:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Thunderhoop 2 has not been fully emulated afaik. Thought about picking it up a few times but it has a brutal suicide battery I do NOT want to mess with. Which is too bad as the game looks fucking awesome.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I know one of the Toaplan vertical run n' guns does not emulate well. Can't recall if it's Fixeight or Outzone - someone may know.

I've heard Edward Randy and Osman Cannon Dancer are no good in MAME either.

These are the type of games i'm hoping to compile - games where the PCB is the best experience...by far. Certainly I think most would agree the Dimahoo PCB experience is better than MAME, so I guess what i'm hoping to compile is where the difference is either EXTREME or there truly is no other viable way to play.

What about Cosmic Smash? - the controls seem smoother on NAOMI, the experience is definitely more intense when the speakers are right on top of you - but it's been a long while since i've played the port - not sure if I'd say it makes the cut or not...

Outzone, Fixeight, and Osman are perfectly fine in MAME. They weren't until somewhat recently. I check mametesters.org for information relating to emulation state.

I like the idea of this list. I usually run MAME, but if there is something that doesn't emulate well enough I'm willing to buy the PCB.

I can only think of one title off the top of my head and that'd be a prototype - Primal Rage 2.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
My mame rig is an OG xbox (and these don't work on it) so if they run fine on a mamed out computer, chime in-and I'll edit my post.

I offer up 3 kaneko gems:

Bonk's Adventure Arcade

Kung Fu Master: Jackie Chan

Jackie Chan in: Fists of Fire

***EDIT*** are you after proto suggestions too? If so...dat ADK Rhythm Mix!

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Are the protos available? I mean...again, mostly looking to compile a list of "must have PCB's" if you will. So many of us have cabs and so many choices out there - trying to ultimately create a guide for reference of what folks might want to seek out AND can immediately drop in and play on their cab.