US Dynamite Slugger NGPC cartridge found

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Dynamite Slugger, Faselei, and The Last Blade were allegedy ready to ship when Aruze abruptly pulled the plug on everything SNK was doing outside of Japan. The three games had been advertised at E3 2000 and SNK USA had promotional material and advertisements showcasing their US box art. In 2003, US cartridges of Faselei and Last Blade showed up in large quantities. Original boxes for each of the three games turned up several years ago on Ebay.

Even after the box for it turned up, I never thought carts for Dynamite Slugger were produced since they likely would have been seen with up with the flood of other recalled games in 2003. But when this cart showed up on Ebay, I started to think I might be wrong. The picture was blurry, but the templating from the era was spot-on. Because this is a low profile game on a niche system (even here the NGPC gets little attention), I thought it was unlikely someone was attempting to fake it. Add the fact the cart was coming from LA, and I figured making an offer was a small gamble worth taking.

dynamiteslugger_us_cartonly_2.jpg

I have no doubt that this is authentic. The label manufacture style matches the other late-US-release NGPC games. They have a unique texture where the ink has a gel-like sheen and physically rests above the surface of the paper label. The only question I have is, how is this the first one to turn up? Factories are in the business of producing thousands and this matches the other mass-produced games.

It is reasonable to assume SNK wasn't in the practice of trashing games for a write-off since it seems like the other recalled/unsold games eventually surfaced a few years later. Was this one of a few test/proofs sent to SNK Entertainment prior to mass production? Are the rest of the Dynamite Slugger carts still lost in a warehouse? To my knowledge, this is the first one of these to turn up. It's safe to assume more of these were made, but only time will tell how many others survived.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Clues may rest, with the seller...or where the seller, got it.

Perhaps it was a Gamer’s Republic review copy?

Great score buddy!! I’m glad you finally made this thread, so I don’t have to keep a secret any more. ^_^

Are the roms out there? Would be cool to flash em to my pocket, and see if we could link play head to head!

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Pretty sweet find. Be sure to post up a review when you get the chance.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If this one exists, there must be more....
Exciting news indeed!

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Very interesting find!

Do you have photos of the boxes for the US releases that you mention showed up on eBay years ago? I don't believe I've seen them.

I'll post this in the Neo Geo Pocket Facebook group and see if anyone else has seen one or has one on there...

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Worthy of a cross post to News & Rumors for sure.

I'm curious, was this in with a bundle of other stuff? Worth asking the seller what they know about it for sure.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Clues may rest, with the seller...or where the seller, got it.

Perhaps it was a Gamer’s Republic review copy?

Great score buddy!! I’m glad you finally made this thread, so I don’t have to keep a secret any more. ^_^

Are the roms out there? Would be cool to flash em to my pocket, and see if we could link play head to head!

I checked it against my European release and the ROM dumped seemed to be the same. It's not an exact match, but I'm 99% sure it's only save data that doesn't match between the two dumps. Unfortunately, all NGPC dumping hardware/software leaves a bit to be desired for 100% proper archival. I lack the knowledge to easily make my own, but it has been something I have wanted to do for a while. It came from a game reseller who didn't have any other special NGPC items.

Very interesting find!

Do you have photos of the boxes for the US releases that you mention showed up on eBay years ago? I don't believe I've seen them.

I'll post this in the Neo Geo Pocket Facebook group and see if anyone else has seen one or has one on there...

I have them and will post a picture.

Worthy of a cross post to News & Rumors for sure.

That's a good idea. I just got logged out and noticed that this sub forum isn't even publicly viewable anymore.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Here's a pic of the boxes TrueTrials asked for.

dslbfas_boxes.jpg

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Really ? I like my UK snaplock cases of the two games more ;)

Yes, really. I like the US boxes just fine. I came to SNK/Neo Geo late and don't have any particular attachment to the plastic snap-lock cases. Couple that with the fact that I have the loose US versions of those games, it'd be sweet to have them closer to complete.

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Did review copies have retail labels? I've seen prototype and sample NGPC carts with generic ones, but I don't know what magazines received.

https://twitter.com/MegaManWorld/status/1311349019399065601?s=19

I'm not sure what the real story is with the printed label Japanese carts. Since they are fairly common, I assume they were for kiosks (some have different ROM's) and possibly review samples.

The only cart I have that came from a reviewer didn't have a retail label. In the US, we got these handwritten "samples" that always have the same handwriting in red pen:

us_samplecarts.jpg

That Puzzle Link 2 came from a Tips & Tricks employee and the others I bought from an SNK USA employee. (the game ROM's seem the same as retail)

One thing I noticed about these games with handwritten labels is they all are for the last releases on the system - the games that had the US box art style with shiny silver stripe on the front. It makes me wonder if the samples for the earlier games were the retail "World" style cartridges.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
vectorman0 and I play games every time we see eachother. This isn’t about cred. This is a great find!