Using video projectors for gaming

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Does anyone have any experience using a video projector for gaming? If so, can you share any tips you might have for getting low latency and a decent picture?

I’ll be playing a combination of HD stuff like Nintendo Switch and older systems like Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn via the
Framemeister.

Any pointers or recommendations for brands or models are welcome too! :buttrock:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I have an older Acer projector, but Optoma has a GT line of gaming specific projectors. I believe they are short throw with a short response time if that makes a difference for you.

They range in price from $499 for a Darbee renewed sold by Optoma to $1200 for a gaming laser projector on Amazon.

https://www.optoma.com/us/product-category/gaming/

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Sorry nothing current to add.

I game on a Panasonic LCD projector I bought over 15 years ago, it's only 720p.
I was impressed with it because it did a good job with SD video. Almost none of my standard complaints for LCD apply to it. S-video is nearly perfect. It's compatible with dozens of different resolutions as well, no frammeister needed.

My take away at the time (and several years forward) was almost anything at a retail store is junk and geared more towards business use (or possible high end stuff that's mostly overkill). You'll probably need to order online from a higher end electronics shop or one that specializes in nicer photo or business equipment. The bulbs on home theater projectors last much longer and typically have a brighter lumins. $1,500 should be a sweat spot for value to cost and usually they get blown out somewhere around August/September for new models. Besides Panasonic another good value projector was Sanyo.

I wish they were more popular. Other than having to buy expensive bulbs every few years and needing to black out a room I don't see much of a drawback. I think some models say they have LED or laser systems that they claim last 10,000 hours+ and there's no bulb to replace. I think they don't get as bright though typically. I love playing games and watching movies on a 120" screen.

I also have some pico type projectors. One off brand and one that was my cellphone.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Projector prices are anywhere from $100 for Chinese junk to the skys the limit. Certainly depends on your budget and what you think you’ll get out of it for the cost you’ll pay.

My projector is LED, not having to change out bulbs was a factor in my purchase at the time. It’s not high end but it certainly does the job and I’m happy enough gaming on it. I have a portable Epson screen I’ve set up at my parents for Super Bowl parties and everyone has enjoyed the experience.

I also think it’s a shame they’re not more popular as well, people probably aren’t educated enough on them

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I think these short throw laser projectors look promising, other than the price.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I have a $250 Vankyo 1080p model. This was my first crack at a home theater and I didn't wanna go full retard on my first go round. I have been very pleasantly surprised with it. I run all of my consoles on it via OSSC and I haven't been able to see any lag on it. Have had several get togethers where it was used and nobody attending complained either. Waiting on 4K projectors to come down a bit more before I upgrade.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I used an Optoma for years, and I never noticed input lag. It probably depends on your sensitivity to it. Rhythm games and fighters would likely be more noticeable, but not much. Played on the projector during the rock band era of gaming and it was fine.

I would still consider a giant TV before going the route of projector. The projector really only gets great when you are over 70". You can find used TV's quite cheap that are 65" and larger.
Do you have a room with adequate seating distance? Can you eliminate all light from the room? Are you fine only playing games in the dark? I installed opaque curtains and they did the job, but normal curtains dont work. You can play with some light, but it really sucks. Keep in mind that "black" is the color of the wall at present time. projectors can't make things darker.

I would probably go with the biggest TV i could find unless I had a basement for the projector.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I used an Optoma for years, and I never noticed input lag. It probably depends on your sensitivity to it. Rhythm games and fighters would likely be more noticeable, but not much. Played on the projector during the rock band era of gaming and it was fine.

I would still consider a giant TV before going the route of projector. The projector really only gets great when you are over 70". You can find used TV's quite cheap that are 65" and larger.
Do you have a room with adequate seating distance? Can you eliminate all light from the room? Are you fine only playing games in the dark? I installed opaque curtains and they did the job, but normal curtains dont work. You can play with some light, but it really sucks. Keep in mind that "black" is the color of the wall at present time. projectors can't make things darker.

I would probably go with the biggest TV i could find unless I had a basement for the projector.

^ This is the truth. If you don't have a room to dedicate to it, I'd stick with a TV.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
I would just suggest to try a DLP projector before buying it instead of a LCD.
With fast scenes somebody could find annoying the rainbow effect.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Currently in the process of restoring my Megalo 410. Gonna be using a projector, but restoring it to Jamma. I sac'd a 2007 TV for a new screen for the damn thing. Got a Harness, wiring and a PSU on the way!

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My first projector was Infocus x1, this was back maybe 20 years and was my primary projector for my home theater. I ended up upgrading to an epson 2020e i think 5 years ago. i still use x1 for gaming/movie nights since last year. I have a tripod projector screen that we use and we mostly play party games like nba jams, guardian heroes, sega bomberman, etc...No one ever complain about the input lag on it.

2014-09-26232546_zps8b57a1fb.jpg

As for my Epson 2020e i also didn't seem to notice it either. I tried out my nes mini on there and was able to beat Tyson on a couple of tries. I never played Street fighter as that would be the game i would know if there was noticeable input lag.

I did a little research and this seems like a good list of low input projectors. You want one that is 19ms or lower.

https://improb.com/best-gaming-projectors/

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Projectors on sale through Buydig on slickdeals, includes the GT projectors I’ve mentioned

https://slickdeals.net/f/14027333-r...uhl55-4k-619-cinemax-p1-4k-2799?src=frontpage

Available:
Optoma UHD51A Amazon Alexa 4K Ultra High Definition Home Theater Projector $929
Optoma GT1080 Darbee Enhanced Short Throw Gaming Projector $439
Optoma GT1080HDR Short Throw 4K HDR Blur-Busting Gaming Projector $619
Optoma UHL55 Portable LED UHD 4K Smart Projector $619
Optoma CinemaX P1 4K UHD Home Theater Projector with Integrated Soundbar $2,799

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Within the last few years, I got into projectors for gaming and movies in the house. I've tested quite a few Projectors from low to high end. Working in Broadcast, I've also been able to test some of the nicest (larger) projectors that are currently available to both vendors and consumers.

One of the units I do like is the Optoma GT1080 Darbee Enhanced Short Throw projector. The unit has a Darbee enhancement module inside that really does wonders on the output. It's short throw, so it'll work 4 feet away from the wall/screen.

You can go large with a Barco type projector, but it'll cost you as well. Someone here mentioned the Chinese junk, but not all of it is junk. I've had no issues with the Elephas projector that takes in 1080p signal, but the projected output is 480p. Still had great picture quality and I use it for movie nights with the family (indoors and outdoors).

The best deal that I've recently come across is the 1080p Top Vision Projector. It'll run you around $150 -$200 bucks, has a LOUD stereo speaker on it and looks great. I'm looking to buy this one and utilize a DVDO Iscan Micro to upscale this as well.

https://www.amazon.com/TOPVISION-Co...projector&qid=1588633339&s=electronics&sr=1-2

The key question you need to ask yourself is what your expectations are for a projector. I have a Barco boxed up that I won't use due to the sheer size and the setup needed to calibrate it. Epson models are low-mid grade as well, and their 1080p/3 LCD lineups are great as well. Me, I tend to go cheap and grade on how versatile the unit is in case I need to move it.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Within the last few years, I got into projectors for gaming and movies in the house. I've tested quite a few Projectors from low to high end. Working in Broadcast, I've also been able to test some of the nicest (larger) projectors that are currently available to both vendors and consumers.

One of the units I do like is the Optoma GT1080 Darbee Enhanced Short Throw projector. The unit has a Darbee enhancement module inside that really does wonders on the output. It's short throw, so it'll work 4 feet away from the wall/screen.

You can go large with a Barco type projector, but it'll cost you as well. Someone here mentioned the Chinese junk, but not all of it is junk. I've had no issues with the Elephas projector that takes in 1080p signal, but the projected output is 480p. Still had great picture quality and I use it for movie nights with the family (indoors and outdoors).

The best deal that I've recently come across is the 1080p Top Vision Projector. It'll run you around $150 -$200 bucks, has a LOUD stereo speaker on it and looks great. I'm looking to buy this one and utilize a DVDO Iscan Micro to upscale this as well.

https://www.amazon.com/TOPVISION-Co...projector&qid=1588633339&s=electronics&sr=1-2

The key question you need to ask yourself is what your expectations are for a projector. I have a Barco boxed up that I won't use due to the sheer size and the setup needed to calibrate it. Epson models are low-mid grade as well, and their 1080p/3 LCD lineups are great as well. Me, I tend to go cheap and grade on how versatile the unit is in case I need to move it.

Have you had experience with the Optoma 5050ube or LG Cinebeam 4k UHD? Just waiting for those to drop in price.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Have you had experience with the Optoma 5050ube or LG Cinebeam 4k UHD? Just waiting for those to drop in price.

I have seen the Epson 5050ube , but not the Cinebeam 4K. The 5050UB and 5050 UBe are good projectors for the money. If you can find one for around 2200, that's probably the lowest they'll get until the November time frame.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I've got a Eiki LC-XG400L, got it used from VT here. Right now it's down stairs putting up a 120" picture which looks great for movies and SD games. Kids love playing Wii on it. It has all the inputs I could need, I don't have anything which goes over HDMI.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/EIKI-LC-XG400L.htm

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I would recommend spending at least $2000 if you go for a projector, the bulbs cost about the same as a $700 model. If you can afford it i would go with an SXRD projector from Sony or JVC. Also Epson 4000 is a good model to get or any of the newer versions.

Projectors are great but they have alot of drawbacks. Setup can be a true pain in the ass and of course light is a factor. True 4k is still enormously expensive with projectors as well.