Vacation in a Pandemic, the thread.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have like almost two months of vacation time.

Guess I should develop a budget.

Any suggestions for pandemic friendly time off?

Honestly considered planning a trip, and then not going anywhere and spending the amount of money I would have spent on lodging on LEGO sets, building an amount of LEGOs each day equivalent to the cost of my hotel each night.

Early Fall last year I went to a hot springs resort and then went to the Ocean that was pretty nice.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I would love to take my truck through the national parks you have out there on the west side. Especially from Colorado up through Montana, over to ND, SD, and then back home.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Yellowstone.

Devil’s Table.

Badlands.

RV w/ a moped on the back. Do it up!

*if it’s too far to drive directly; and you feel comfy doing so-flying to a point amongst these National Parks, and renting the RV in that town is nice way to go about it.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ve never looked at renting an RV but I do like the idea.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The issue is with how many things are closed. We were to go to San Fran last July...but that didn’t happen. We have to use the plane tickets by next Dec. We’re thinking Boston (family there) with a possible few days in NYC if the city isn’t still on lockdown next July.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Go somewhere warm, camp out, build fires, drink beer, roast meat. Rope a friend in. Deliverance sans buttstuff.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I think the best thing right now is to stay home, BUT the CDC says the new strain could be the dominant one by March. People think that because vaccinations are in progress that we'll be home free by the summer. I don't know how true that is. If you can get away to somewhere where interactions with others are minimal - like renting an RV or going camping - I'd say do it nowish, because things could get a lot worse in the coming months.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I currently have 42 hours of paid vacation stockpiled at the nursing home job, but, I don't even know if I'm going to use them. Really no point these days and I'd rather work anyway.

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I think the best thing right now is to stay home, BUT the CDC says the new strain could be the dominant one by March. People think that because vaccinations are in progress that we'll be home free by the summer. I don't know how true that is. If you can get away to somewhere where interactions with others are minimal - like renting an RV or going camping - I'd say do it nowish, because things could get a lot worse in the coming months.

I second everything fakeXsound has said.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I wish could cash the hours in and use the money to buy something.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm thinking about driving out to Vegas in a month or so since I already had the ronas anyway.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I'm thinking about driving out to Vegas in a month or so since I already had the ronas anyway.

I know three people that have had it more than once, and it’s worse than the first time.

Vegas is a filthy Petri dish.

And, go USA-Arizona currently leads *the entire WORLD* in cases.

Meanwhile, Japan has suffered 18 deaths per million people, and shows how it is possible for a country to handle the covid crisis correctly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ec...horities-understood-covid-19-better-than-most

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I wish could cash the hours in and use the money to buy something.

My employer buys back sick day hours in excess of 80, but not vacation day hours. I'd probably cash mine in too.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That’s nice, our sick policy changed a couple years back. It’s not as good as it used to be.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
And, go USA-Arizona currently leads *the entire WORLD* in cases.
We're NUMBER ONE!!! :buttrock:

Our governor is doing everything he can NOT to shut things down so he's told all the cities and counties to 'do what they think is right'.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Camping if you're looking to avoid possible COVID infection. Florida if you don't care and want to vacation with less COVID restrictions.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
You can fly to Hawaii and great time on the cheap atm.
You need to test negative before you fly out there.
You can rent a car and drive around the island find secluded Beach and chill. Just avoid the big cities and you'll most likely avoid people.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If I was in America, I'd like to visit the Mesa Verde cliff dwellings, over 700 years old.

ruins-Cliff-Palace-Ancestral-Puebloans-Mesa-Verde.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ve been there Sage when I was a child and they are truly a sight to behold.

I’m a creature of habit, maybe I should go back. I’ll have to see if the parks are open, not all are.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Fingers crossed, going back to Jamaica in November.

If you have to use your time before the vaccines are widespread, just take a staycation. Get some projects done around the house. No reason to put your loved ones in danger just because you've got cabin fever.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It’s me and my cat. I’ll be getting the vaccine through work next month.

I think I’ll go camping.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
My girlfriend went to Chicago for Christmas.
We both didn’t want her to go but her mom was pretty adamant.

Her mom and sister both got the vaccine already. So I gave her a stack of N95s to wear everywhere - even on Christmas dinner she ate separately from everyone and kept masks on.

Everything was closed pretty much, even in Illinois where they are pretty much one of the states that act like it’s not existent (except their case counts are high as fuck)

I wouldn’t bother going anywhere lol

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
One of the things I always do when I travel is to check that country's UNESCO list, you can never go wrong with the sites there as they are the best places the country has to offer.

Here's America's World Heritage Sites: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Heritage_Sites_in_the_United_States

On a more local level, the list of National Historic Landmarks is also something to consider if you're into historically important buildings/houses/places: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._National_Historic_Landmarks_by_state

If none of those interest you, how about going to a gun range and shooting an elephant gun or something?

Maodammit a year ago today I was scuba diving in Malaysia. Ever since I came back I've been stuck in this maoforsaken city. I have the traveling itch so bad right now. School's on winter break until March 1 and I can't go nowhere, ugh.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Solid advice, I will check out both lists. It seems like solo outdoor travel is my best option at the moment.