Vewlix Speaker Replacement?

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Anyone replace a Vewlix speaker before?

Snagged a Vewlix Diamond, and everything is looking good... except one speaker is busted, and since Vewlix speakers are wired in series it means I have no audio on the whole right side now. (I’ve diagnosed down to the speaker, it’s not any of the wiring or the audio amp. Somewhere inside the speaker the two wires aren’t linking up anymore)

So, I need some replacements.

Looks like it’s 4 ohm car speaker, but none of the 3.5” car speakers I’ve tested fit under the Vewlix grill even though the mounting holes fit.

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT:

Found a winner! Dayton Audio PC83-4 3" Full-Range Poly Cone Driver

The dimensions are almost exactly that of the original Taito speaker. Importantly, the mounting frame is exactly the same.

Parts Express Link here:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pc83-4-3-full-range-poly-cone-driver--295-154​

Specs here:

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-154--dayton-audio-pc83-4-specifications.pdf​

Last edited:

Carless Walker

Kabuki Klasher
I can't speak to fitment in your cab, but I do have a bit of familiarity with car audio. Working with a 3.5" in speaker is tricky, but have you checked to see if the conductor connection between the spider (wavy fabric beneath woofer) has broken free from the terminal on the speaker frame? It's an area with potential for failure, and can be fixed with a bit of solder (sometimes).

Also, I assume it's the tweeter assembly on the speakers you've tested, that is preventing the grill from mounting back correctly. If so, you can try some cheap "OEM" shit speakers from Autozone. They usually have a paper cone woofers and not much positive protrusion, other than the limited travel from the baffle excursion. They will sound like shit though.

Last thought; can you find something to use as a "stand-off" to allow the speaker grills to sit a bit further away from the speaker?

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Thanks for the advice!

It’s not the tweeter assembly, it’s the woofer cone edge. All these newer 3.5” car speakers fit in the box, and the mounting holes line up, but the grill doesn’t fit on top. (It hits the rubber driver surround)

I found some smaller 3” speakers that should work! I might just order one from Taito, they are about $25 plus some absurd shipping cost. Ugh.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Update:

I ordered a few 3” speakers to test... and none of them fit the mounting holes. They are too small.. 1/2” too small. :)

So, it’s indeed a 3.5” speaker as I originally suspected. Because it seems car speakers are too thick to fit under the grill, I’m just going to give up on this one and buy a replacement from Taito. Solved. :)