VF's Akira cameo in DOA 5

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I see this as a good thing.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
VF X DOA Please!
Sad, but 'ya gotta know that SEGA is feeling the pressure with Capcom X Tekken coming out. Sure, SF and Tekken fans aren't (necessarily) the same kind of fighting game person, but Virtua Fighter and Dead or Alive?--I can't see a cross-over like that really attracting both sides, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't try it, anyway.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
If it somehow got more people interested in VF, that would be a great side effect...I just don't see that happening.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
If it somehow got more people interested in VF, that would be a great side effect...I just don't see that happening.

This, I love VF but hate DOA so even Akira popping up will not get me to pick up DOA so just imagine a DOA player saying "f that" as well

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I can say right now it's not going to happen with me. VF4 Evo was me giving the franchise one last chance to try and interest me. I'll never buy another one.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I've been interested in seeing how DoA would shape up after Itagaki's departure. They previously said they will get rid off of all the boobs jiggling shit altogether, and their interest in VF tells me they are probably taking a step towards the right direction for the gameplay. The Kasumi vs Ayane fight in the video seemed positive to me too.

Looking forward to give this release a shot.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Well that was fucking awesome and unexpected. VF and DOA hold a very similar pace but it still surprises me how smooth of a transition that appears to be. It seems like an actual full blown crossover would be a very smooth transition. I'd be very interested in seeing an AM2 developed Virtua Fighter/Fighters Megamix vs Dead or Alive.

On second thought...

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I'd be very interested in seeing an AM2 developed Virtua Fighter/Fighters Megamix vs Dead or Alive.

On second thought...

No second thoughts. Fighters Megamix 2 with Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, and Dead or Alive would be one of the most awesome games ever made.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I've been interested in seeing how DoA would shape up after Itagaki's departure. They previously said they will get rid off of all the boobs jiggling shit altogether,
That's like making a Friday the 13th movie without any killing in it. I guess they are dedicated to trying to make their 3D fighting games more boring than Sega's. Good luck to them.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I'm actually quite excited to hear this. The easiest game to transfer VF characters to would be the Dead Or Alive series because DOA get's it's basic gameplay feel from Virtua Fighter as Itagaki was a VF fanboy.

Sure this game uses much more lax execution and for Akira players that's like part of our bragging rights but using him in this game looks like it's going to be 100% pure fun!

I know everybody thought I'd be the main one to hate this but no, I think this is gonna be great because It harkens back to the Fighters Megamix days when Sega used to be a fun company and not a bunch of assholes like they are now(or now I guess "were")

I can say right now it's not going to happen with me. VF4 Evo was me giving the franchise one last chance to try and interest me. I'll never buy another one.

You really should look at the latest incarnation. It's quite exciting. It doesn't feel or play like VF4 Evo for many reasons. VF4 Evo fans don't care to much for it but I'm a huge fan of VF3 and the movement is enough to keep me happy.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
I don’t see the appeal, personally. It just seems as if it’s going to end up being a matter of “do you like your juggles long and drawn out and/or quick and easy as pie?”.

3D fighters in general have turned into a painful experience in recent years, and putting a VF character into a DOA game isn’t going to address the problem of the whole launch vs. launch bullshit that 3D fighters have become.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
You really should look at the latest incarnation. It's quite exciting. It doesn't feel or play like VF4 Evo for many reasons. VF4 Evo fans don't care to much for it but I'm a huge fan of VF3 and the movement is enough to keep me happy.
I just can't get excited about it. And now that I hear there aren't going to be any more boobs in DOA, all that's left is for Namco to say they're not going to have any more tiger masks and I am fucking done with 3D fighters.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I don’t see the appeal, personally. It just seems as if it’s going to end up being a matter of “do you like your juggles long and drawn out and/or quick and easy as pie?”.

3D fighters in general have turned into a painful experience in recent years, and putting a VF character into a DOA game isn’t going to address the problem of the whole launch vs. launch bullshit that 3D fighters have become.

I don't take DOA that seriously so for me I'm not so bothered by it HOWEVER if you bring up Tekken then I can complain until everyone gets sick of hearing me. I understand what you're saying completely though.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'm going to buy this game when it comes out, destroy the entire DOA roster with Akira and then sell it off. Should be fun.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
(Now that I'm not on a phone I can really post)

Glad to see Akira will be making a guest spot in the game. Seeing him in DOA reminded me of the special rule arena contest in VF5 where you play the game sped up and with tons of air juggles you can't do in the normal game. I would have liked to have seen Lion, but since Akira is the more well known I see why they picked him. I would like to see a VF X DOA game. I think VF would go better with DOA then Tekken, but I'd still like to see them have a crossover with them as well. I doubt putting Akira in the game will get DOA fans excited about Final Showdown, but I'm still counting down the days till it comes out.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
This was a classy move. It's sort of like "Oh hey Capcom, your guest characters are little cartoon cats and fat fucking Megaman...our guest character is fucking AKIRA from fucking VIRTUA FIGHTER."

Guest characters should be fighters from other fighting games, not mascots piloting fucking wood mechs, or whatever.

Also, DOA has always been fun. Quintessential casual fighting game.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I'm open to this! I might actually like DOA again. I used to play the HELL out of 2 in the Dreamcast days and I miss the fun I had with the game. Even before AKIRA's announcement, I was still pretty pumped for this.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
DoA and VF got something in common:
Both should've been sacked years ago.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
nah dude it's not the kid who started world war iii, it's the other guy.

Guh, I don't know why I capitalized his name. :P Either way, i'm excited for this bad boy. Last year I had a chance to meet the three main guys behind Team Ninja (one of the guys is a fellow Texan!) and they told me to expect something awesome with DOA 5 and i'm very impressed.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
They both have the same button scheme and basic fighting style. Sure, DOA is a hell of a lot more flashy, but it would be a much easier transition than Tekken vs VF. I would love to see this game, personally.

Honestly, if you could find a perfect middle ground for the two (not so tight of execution as VF and not so loose as DOA), I think the fighting system would actually be pretty bad ass!

Last edited: