VIDEO ADDED! - I'm Making a JAMMA Compatible Arcade Shooter - Come Play It for Free!

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
I thought you guys might get a kick out of the most recent photos we snapped of the prototype cabinet. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Cab Specs
Monitor: 27" Nanao MS8
Joysticks and Buttons: Sanwa (JLF Joysticks)
Cab make: Dynamo HS-25

We want to do themed cabs for each of the game's bosses or "Ghouls" so each cab would be matched to that bosses color and the marquee would feature that boss as well. Just an idea we are tossing back and forth.

But enough of that...here's the pics!!!

Full Cab.jpg

Marquee.jpg

Joystick.jpg

Last edited:

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
So sick! Would each of these "Ghoul" cabs be the same style dynamo cabinet so they could all sit together perfectly aligned? Or would they all be different dynamo models so that they they are each more asymmetrical and unique?

Great question! In a dream world, we would have them all be this exact dynamo style. I've always thought of these as the most pure example of modern American cabinets. However, that might be hard to pull off unless we start manufacturing cabinets...which way out of scope for something we would be able to self fund. I'm glad you like the design!!!

As for providing the art files, at some point we really hope to have an option to sell the board as a full conversion kit, with marquee graphics, CP overlay and side art. We will also provide a candy style kit with the move strip.

However, if you have a cab that you would like to convert into a early SKYCURSER prototype, get at me and I'm sure we could work something out.

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
odd question but where are you sourcing the nanao monitors? it looks amazing as far as the cab goes though.

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
odd question but where are you sourcing the nanao monitors? it looks amazing as far as the cab goes though.

I'm overpaying and shipping whenever I can. I've been on a lucky string in the last few weeks on finding some nice monitors (none of them are Nanao) but it's something you basically have to search non-stop for. If I was on the west or east coast, it would probably be a hell of a lot easier.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I posted earlier about how this is so inspiring. My friends and I finally got together and started the Beat em up we've been talking about for 2 years.

Btw The cabinet is fucking amazing dude.

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
I posted earlier about how this is so inspiring. My friends and I finally got together and started the Beat em up we've been talking about for 2 years.

Btw The cabinet is fucking amazing dude.

That's amazing dude! Let me know how things progress. What style are you going for, more double dragon old school or something more complex like alien versus predator?

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
This is fantastic! Can't wsit for this to goto kickstarter! You need to update your instagram so I can show all my buddies on there what you're doing! Keep up the good work!

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
That's amazing dude! Let me know how things progress. What style are you going for, more double dragon old school or something more complex like alien versus predator?

The art style is straight from my notebooks. The game play will probably stay more simple like Double Dragon as we have never made a game before. My friend teaches Game Maker to kids during the summer and the two other guys are programmers for a living so I'm hoping for something mediocre at best to start. When we get gameplay I'll start a thread.
We're all pretty busy with our families and jobs and that's been the excuse for a while. However it's time we make the time and your awesome project inspired us to stop pussy footing around the topic. So thanks dude.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member

Great write up, although I don't agree with this part:

"And despite the industry's stagnation, there are still a handful of new arcade titles appearing in the US market. Pratt points out that popular mobile games like Fruit Ninja, Flight Control, and Infinity Blade have all been adapted quite successfully into super-sized, touch-screen-equipped arcade editions. Most of today's arcade releases are stuck in the relatively narrow light-gun and racing genres, though, a situation Pratt would like to see change."

I don't see those as arcade games at all...just pieces of junk. If they want to revitalize the arcades in the US..they need to talk to Sega, Namco and all the major players in Japan to get them to bring their current games over.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I just want to add that this is such an exciting project... the games looks awesome and the concept of a cheap Jamma board for programming new games is really cool and will hopefully open up loads of new games to be developed.

For anyone that is interested, I recently got a friend of mine who runs a UK podacst to get in contact with Chris and this meant that the guys did a first interview about the game. Check it out here at the end of Podcast #31... http://tenpencearcade.co.uk/

Really great lookin game and I can't wait for future updates. :D

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I can't believe I missed this thread. This game is badass guys, you captured the slug look very well. Would be freakin sweet if you might be able to do a MVS release in the future. Fingers crossed.

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hey guys,

Just a quick reminder that we will be at the Louisville arcade expo next weekend March 6th an 7th with the SKYCURSER machine. It would be awesome to hang out with some Neo dudes! http://www.arcaderx.com/

Gameplay-2.gif
sgp-3.gif

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Looks so freakin amazing! Love the Katana animations, melee weapons in shmups are a favorite thing of mine. I'd say the smoke ring on the shotgun animation needs to be a bit faster, it seems to stall at the beginning a bit before it picks up speed. Also, if you did some shotgun specific death animations, like the blown back disintegration animation that enemies have in metal slug, it would really sell that powerful explosive feeling!

Last edited:

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in here again and express a very genuine thanks from the three of us on the SKYCURSER team. This forum was the first place that I posted any info on the game and the video I shared is still 100% exclusive to this forum. I think more "industry" guys pay attention to the conversations here than you might even think. Since posting here, we have had some pretty humbling experiences with small, big and absolutely massive publishers proactively reaching out to us.

I just wanted to say that the feedback I'm receiving here is being taken to heart and will be considered very heavily during development. To stress again the game is still VERY early, so you may find some of your suggestions reflected in later versions of the game.

Thanks again guys! Hopefully I'll see you at some of our upcoming events!

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in here again and express a very genuine thanks from the three of us on the SKYCURSER team. This forum was the first place that I posted any info on the game and the video I shared is still 100% exclusive to this forum. I think more "industry" guys pay attention to the conversations here than you might even think. Since posting here, we have had some pretty humbling experiences with small, big and absolutely massive publishers proactively reaching out to us.

I just wanted to say that the feedback I'm receiving here is being taken to heart and will be considered very heavily during development. To stress again the game is still VERY early, so you may find some of your suggestions reflected in later versions of the game.

Thanks again guys! Hopefully I'll see you at some of our upcoming events!

:)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I think more "industry" guys pay attention to the conversations here than you might even think.

Well, I better stop posting.

I knew it was only a matter of time until someone corporatizes me into a product.

Anyways, good luck, and remember, cryptic non-english speaker voice over.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It wasn't standing out in the vid, but the facial expressions of the pilot in the gif is pretty funny.