Vinyl record thread/ What you have/ What you like?

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I just bought a new turntable, and i've been listening to a bunch of my dad's old records. I'm starting to purchase some new records by artists that I enjoy and would like to know what records you guys own, if any? :cool:

AlecRob

Banned
i have a bunch if vinyl records, my favorite is Bill Evan's "Explorations" I bought it brand new.

Unfortunately i dont have a turntable set up at the moment to listen to any of my vinyl. :(

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I have roughly 1,000 records and a pair of technics 1200 mk2's. My vinyl collection is mostly hip-hop and various electronic (house, jungle, dubstep, juke, ghettotech, UK funky). I have some alternative albums like 311 and No Doubt in there too.

I buy about 25% of my records locally, the rest come from all over the world via discogs.com

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Unfortunately I'm between record players right now, but I enjoy Pink Floyd, The Who, Yes, Jethro Tull etc. They're just more fun to play on vinyl.

My most recent purchase (though it's getting to be a little while ago) was an anniversary reissue of Paul Simon's Graceland. Truly excellent, and came with a great poster.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Have a couple hundred records. Just got a decent haul for Record Store Day.

Most prized are my copy of Deloused In The Comatorium by The Mars Volta and Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh by Magma

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I have exactly 5 records, all Soilwork. I want to expand my collection to old Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth, but I'm afraid it'll get expensive.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I've got a few Beatles records, like abbey road but what i'm really trying to get my hands on is Notorious B.I.G Ready to Die.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I have very few, but am saving up for a nice turn table and mixer to sample/scratch, once I have such things I will certainly go nuts.

Right now I only buy the odd record because I don't really play my CD's nowdays, might as well get the cool gigantic album art over the tiny cd one, since I am mostly buying this stuff to support the artists and have cool artwork anyway.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Start saving your pennies.

Cheapest one on discogs is $175 lol. I could sell some rare electronic stuff for it if I really wanted it. It's a great album, but I don't want it THAT bad. CD quality will have to do for now.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I have a bunch of electro/techno vinyl from the late 90's/early 00's(used to DJ with actual vinyl back then). I'll occasionally toss one on here & there for a quick listen. Would rather just sell/trade them though as my DJ setup has since changed & just have some cheapo numark deck now that was given to me.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Now is a great time to get in to vinyl because they're re-releasing a lot of great albums on the format. Just go to your local record store and look through the albums for stuff that you like. I never have good luck at thrifts because I generally find nothing but beat-up Herb Alpert albums.

Chris

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The B52's, The Police, Jefferson Airplane. How the hell would I get by without these vinyl gems!

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I used to have a ton of records but I have some serious OCD about keeping a lot of "stuff" and records take up a lot of room and are heavy as fuck when moving.

So I sold/gave away almost everything and now only hold on to some of my favorites. My prize is Death From Above's You're a Woman I'm a Machine. The others are things like Purple Rain (MN boy here), my friend's band Protomartyr, and a bunch of Children of Bodom picture discs

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've only bought 2 vinyls when I was a kid. First was Abraxas and the second was In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Balls

Banned
I own a technics SL-1200 turntable. Paid about 1,200 dollars for it in 2009. It sure is a thing of beauty. I have a pretty sizeable collection of records 400+. It is mostly comprised of Classic Rock, 70's punk, heavy metal, thrash metal, and a whole lot of late 80's/early 90's hip hop.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
1200's, while techincally not the best turntable for true audiophiles, are probably the most durable turntables ever made. As a DJ I've broken damn near every other brand of turntable. I bought my 1200's from a pawn shop in pretty rough shape, and after a standard calibration, cleaning, and RCA replacement, they've had no problems at all for years (and they get transported at least once a week).

Balls

Banned
1200's, while techincally not the best turntable for true audiophiles, are probably the most durable turntables ever made. As a DJ I've broken damn near every other brand of turntable. I bought my 1200's from a pawn shop in pretty rough shape, and after a standard calibration, cleaning, and RCA replacement, they've had no problems at all for years (and they get transported at least once a week).

That's why I bought mine. My father has had the same 1200 since 77' and it still works just fine. Can't say that for allot of tables from the late 70's that's for sure.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I have a small crate of vinyl and '45s. I dig Alternative/Metal records and the ladyfiend is all about HipHop/Soul stuffs.

If Boris finally released Flood on vinyl then it would instantly complete the collection. I'm fixin' for a crate filled with Zappa releases as well. :)

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I got a queers lp last night at their show.
It had a different cover from the cd so I forgot I had it already.
Kinda nice though, it's kind of a green marble vinyl.
I buy vinyl if they have download codes nowadays.
It's nice to have it on mp3 while fulfilling my need for material possessions.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I have a few dozen LPs I salvaged from when we moved to FL in 1996. Mostly Beatles, Doors, Pink Floyd, etc.

I've added some Queen to the mix as well as an old James Bond soundtrack.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've got a couple hundred, been collecting for a maybe 6 years. All over the place genre wise DnB, Hip Hop, Jungle, Dubstep, Punk, New Wave, Ska, Metal etc. all kinds of stuff.

I play them on a Music Hall MMF 5.1 with a Project Tube Box S phono amp.

Recently been picking up stuff released by Death Waltz who specialize in cult movie soundtracks. Today I received all but one of their RSD releases that I had to order from the UK. They're kinda like the Criterion of horror movie sound tracks.

http://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Started buying records when I was 9 in '79 and stopped when CDs had finally taken over in the late 90s.

I have some 1000+ records (never counted them so far, it's just an estimate) spread over lots of genres, dominated by electronica/techno, plus a shelf with promos and a crate or two of my own productions.

Some labels/companies keep on releasing vinyl so I still buy a record or two a year. That's nothing compared to the late 80s and early 90s when a friend and I ran a small club here in Nuremberg, sometimes we bought 10+ records a week. Oli still has most of them in his vast collection of nearly 10k records.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The only vinyl records I have are my grandma's. The labels have all disintegrated so I have no idea what the titles are.