Warm Vacation

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
:lolz: I actually had never been on flight until I was like 27. I just can't stand long flights. I've had to do Boston to Vegas and Boston to SF for work and they were absolute torture. I'm planning on going to Japan next year and will happily spend more money on first class comfort.

Hope you've got all the points ever cuz 1st class to Tokyo is $5k easy.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
And you better buy the tickets wayyyyy in advance.
I know. I'm just trying to get one thing squared away, but once I'm done with that I can start on this whole project. I think I have to go through a travel agent as a way to get into the country because of covid. Which is fine. There's a lot I want to do so hopefully they can help me line everything up without having to stick to a strict itinerary.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
When i was maybe 6 or 7 i had a friend over and my older brother had his friend over, my friend's older brother. They were chasing us around the house and being generally shitbag older brothers so we barricaded ourselves in my room. After about half an hour my friend needed to piss, the toilet (bathroom) door had a slide lock barrel on it but no barrel (presumably my parents had taken it off so we didn't lock ourselves in there). My bright idea was he takes a biro pen in with him and uses that as the lock barrel so our brothers don't barge their way in and terrorise him. It worked great, until he tried to get out and he couldn't get the pen out of the barrel. My next great idea was to squeeze a screwdriver under the door for him to use to smash up the biro. Me and the brothers had all united outside the door by now to help him, knowing if all of this was discovered by my parents we'd all be in the shit somehow. We hear him start chipping at the pen, through tears (he's trapped, claustrophobic and almost at full panic by now), when I hear the sounds of the screwdriver head on the plastic, but, the occasional sound of the screwdriver head on wood. I'm thinking he's going to end up marking the door here and then we'll be in the shit, cue great idea number 3. I yelled through the door for him to put his other hand around the lock bracket to protect the wood, he does so, and ten seconds later he's impaled his hand with the screwdriver.

Long story short my dad had to break the door down, we all got in the shit and to this day my friend never locks doors with biros.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I dunno if you've done it before but a pair of good active noise cancelling headphones like the sony xm2/3/4 series makes flying a whole lot easier, especially to sleep or just relax even in economy.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
There's a lot I want to do so hopefully they can help me line everything up without having to stick to a strict itinerary.
I know you didn't ask, but Japan Rail Pass. Unlimited bullet train rides. Makes things so easy and worry free.

lmbo, I went to Himeji to see the castle but turned out it was under renovation. Went back to the train station and was at Nara touching some deer not long after.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
I dunno if you've done it before but a pair of good active noise cancelling headphones like the sony xm2/3/4 series makes flying a whole lot easier, especially to sleep or just relax even in economy.
I think it's the chair and the proximity to other people that drives me nuts. That and the idea that I can't just get up and leave if I want to. I could sit on a couch all day, but I can't handle it in a plane for some reason.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I think it's the chair and the proximity to other people that drives me nuts. That and the idea that I can't just get up and leave if I want to. I could sit on a couch all day, but I can't handle it in a plane for some reason.
I hate people too but for some reason my tight ass accepts the however many hours of Titanic Irish lower decks bullshit that you have to endure because of the destination.

Still business class is the way to fly.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I know. I'm just trying to get one thing squared away, but once I'm done with that I can start on this whole project. I think I have to go through a travel agent as a way to get into the country because of covid. Which is fine. There's a lot I want to do so hopefully they can help me line everything up without having to stick to a strict itinerary.

Literally last night I’ve booked my flights to Tokyo for May 2023. I’ve never been to Japan but been trying to go for about 3 years but, you know, pandemic blah blah.

I’m just going to get a 2 week rail pass and check out places I’m interested in. Probably do the usual expected tourist stuff as it’s a first trip: Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and probably Nara as well. Looks like you won’t need a tour next year FYI (unless you really want one): https://thediplomat.com/2022/09/japan-set-to-welcome-unrestricted-tourism-by-october/

Mental flights to get to Tokyo and return via Osaka for me though. Scotland to Berlin, Berlin to Singapore, Singapore to Tokyo. Costing me £1000 economy class return to do that.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Say hi to Hemingway’s cats, get sloppy at Joe’s and get you some key lime from Kermit’s!

Have fun, man.

fake

15 Year Member
Def gonna go see the cats! I’m too scared to see Robert the Doll though. Tomorrow is a tour of the Turtle Hospital.