Watches

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
What I'd be nervous about at this moment is if Rolex is going to stop providing watchmakers / repair shops with replacement parts, now that they're trying to get a piece of the greymarket action. :eyeroll:
I have a local Ad repair guy who went out on his own , he got plenty of oem parts must have order a bunch and have salvaged a bunch before he went out on his own ?, price very reasonable 400-600 cdn for maintenance and overhaul probably + price of parts. But I never had to replaced any parts yet, so mostly in the $400 range.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
IMG_20221209_202020763.jpg
Today's selection, fresh from the Kremlin.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I still don't understand buying expensive watches but I would rock a nice watch if I had one.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I still don't understand buying expensive watches but I would rock a nice watch if I had one.
Mine have gone up £10k in four years
What's not to understand

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

It’s jewelry. It’s luxury. It’s not for everyone.

I don’t care if the watch appreciates or depreciates.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
View attachment 61672
More from glorious Soviet Union!
Do you know how the Vostok watches are? I’ve thought about getting one for fun.

Came home with this at my door, was a little worried I was going to get scammed from the jewelry store I ordered it from that was too far to drive to but not far enough to drive to if there was an issue when I didn’t hear back after I paid them. The dial is fogged because it was out in the cold and the plastic is still on it.

745FBC29-B980-4B4E-BBD2-FFEBBF9BBDE7.jpeg
BC3589D6-1731-4231-BA55-328185B44144.jpeg

HellioN

20 Year Member
They are ok for the money. Don't expect anything spectacular.
Current prices are garbage right now because half the universe is trying to cancel Russia.
I paid less than $100 each for mine new.
The variety of whats available is staggering. Several different case styles and sizes are available.
The two most common ones are the Amphibia and the Komandirskie.
Amphibia is the automatic winder Diver and the Komandirskie is the manual field style.
Factory straps are shit & the bracelets are not much better.
Expect +\- up to a min a day.
Don't confuse Vostok & Vostok Europe, They are related but separate companies.
I've always got mine from eBay but be careful if you order one.
I recommend NOT buying anything marked custom. Those are almost always Frankenstein parts watches.
Amphibia "scuba dude" is the most common.
Seiko 5 series is probably a better intro to mechanical watches but are kinda boring when you compare them.
IMG_20230131_193350427.jpg
Amphibia on the left Komandirskie on the right.
I can try to answer any other questions but i'm no expert.
@Ralfakick

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
They are ok for the money. Don't expect anything spectacular.
Current prices are garbage right now because half the universe is trying to cancel Russia.
I paid less than $100 each for mine new.
The variety of whats available is staggering. Several different case styles and sizes are available.
The two most common ones are the Amphibia and the Komandirskie.
Amphibia is the automatic winder Diver and the Komandirskie is the manual field style.
Factory straps are shit & the bracelets are not much better.
Expect +\- up to a min a day.
Don't confuse Vostok & Vostok Europe, They are related but separate companies.
I've always got mine from eBay but be careful if you order one.
I recommend NOT buying anything marked custom. Those are almost always Frankenstein parts watches.
Amphibia "scuba dude" is the most common.
Seiko 5 series is probably a better intro to mechanical watches but are kinda boring when you compare them.
View attachment 62481
Amphibia on the left Komandirskie on the right.
I can try to answer any other questions but i'm no expert.
@Ralfakick
Yeah I’ve seen all the different Vostoks that’s what peaked my interest. I was curious about your personal experience with them, thank you for that, they do have character that’s for sure. I know the prices are screwy atm. I’d probably get an automatic.

I have another Seiko 5, this was a special edition collab that was hard to get, but then I came across it at a localish jewelry store and decided to purchase.

Last edited:

HellioN

20 Year Member
Yeah I’ve seen all the custom Vostoks that’s what peaked my interest. I was curious about your personal experience with them, thank you for that, they do have character that’s for sure. I know the prices are screwy atm. I’d probably get an automatic.

I have another Seiko 5, this was a special edition collab that was hard to get, but then I came across it at a localish jewelry store and decided to purchase.
I would recommend the auto (Amphibia) myself.
I have one Seiko 5.
It's an SNK807 ( Seiko 5 )
If I could do it again I would have got an SNZG.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have about 3 running Vostoks.
2 from the CCCP era, and one that pretends it is from that era. There's a lot of fake ones now.
One is in heavy rotation, and it keeps good enough time for that. It's the mechanical version. I planned on getting a Scuba Automatic, but never got around to it. That, and I also went down other paths looking at old Soviet era watches.

It's a common misconception that they were military issue. 99.9% of them were not. They were sold on military bases, but not part of standard equipment. The exception would be Chistopol with Vostok stamp, but they have very plain watch dials.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I would recommend the auto (Amphibia) myself.
I have one Seiko 5.
It's an SNK807 ( Seiko 5 )
If I could do it again I would have got an SNZG.
If I go down the route of another Seiko 5 which I won’t for a while, the SSK line of 5s are GMT and they have a nice look about them, they’re in that $400 range.

62AAB32A-67CF-437C-A6BA-A625EBAEB42F.png

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
If I go down the route of another Seiko 5 which I won’t for a while, the SSK line of 5s are GMT and they have a nice look about them, they’re in that $400 range.

View attachment 62491

I'd get the orange one only if you don't have anything colorful in your collection. Otherwise black is the safest bet here.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'd get the orange one only if you don't have anything colorful in your collection. Otherwise black is the safest bet here.
Agree 100%. Yeah I originally looked at the blue Rowing Blazers and by chance came across the black one, that’s what started me down that path. I’m not opposed to colors especially at this point of what I have watch wise, my next one will be a little more fun that’s why I’ve looked at the Vostok and there is a few Orients I’ve liked as far as a dress and diver. I may get the aquamarine Tissot PRX in the spring for a fun spring/summer watch.

CEF1F900-7360-4FAB-9927-43F07CF74328.png

FB1F1FFF-A6B7-4E56-BC55-3AC521ACD0AA.png

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I’ve gone watch band changing crazy. I started out with a NATO strap for my Seiko, and then the fiancé bought me a really nice leather band for my Hamy from Shinola (probably overpriced) and then I finally got a NATO strap for my Casio, which is a welcome change from the crappy metal pinching bracelet that comes with it.

97250384-AEAC-46CE-B14D-93ADACBE8C19.jpeg1EC49EBB-6200-4135-8CFB-DE8065E1EFBB.jpeg54523F92-6F31-444F-A926-8A6365DC0630.jpeg

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I’ve gone watch band changing crazy. I started out with a NATO strap for my Seiko, and then the fiancé bought me a really nice leather band for my Hamy from Shinola (probably overpriced) and then I finally got a NATO strap for my Casio, which is a welcome change from the crappy metal pinching bracelet that comes with it.

View attachment 62496View attachment 62497View attachment 62498
I love those retro Casios. I definitely put NATO Straps on some of my watches, I have the black square G Shock for one.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I prefer the quartz which I think is the one he posted. The automatic kinda looks a little bit too bulky, and I feel like the quartz is just the right thickness. It’s a nice watch just not for me.
The originally 70s sports watch was quartz, so it does have that history.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The originally 70s sports watch was quartz, so it does have that history.

It's a nice watch and that mint (Tiffany?) color is pretty cool. I wouldn't mess with the automatic versions. If I see this baby drop in price to where I can't say no, I'll probably scoop it up just to have it.

I like this green-blue color to help complete that 70s look:

Screenshot 2023-02-01 170757.jpg

The faux gold is even more vintage looking:

Screenshot 2023-02-01 171201.jpg

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
It's a nice watch and that mint (Tiffany?) color is pretty cool. I wouldn't mess with the automatic versions. If I see this baby drop in price to where I can't say no, I'll probably scoop it up just to have it.

I like this green-blue color to help complete that 70s look:

View attachment 62499

The faux gold is even more vintage looking:
I like that green as a Fall/Winter as much as I like the tiffany for Spring/Summer. I’ve looked at the “bronze” Orient Triton diver for the Fall/ Winter as far as dark green/ brown. I do like the waffle auto green PRX as well, I do like the texture on the dial, but that Tiffany aquamarine appeals to me too.

I don’t know if I could pull faux gold off lol.

99449098-F43E-4029-8AE1-6415F4442BC5.png

0E4D3D2A-4187-4F20-AE7D-8E5D8EA2CD6C.png