Watches

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Any of you guys into nice watches? I’ve never considered myself much of a watch person, but I think it would be nice to have a decent entry level watch that’s a bit nicer than a Casio and could be worn at formal/semi-formal occasions. Last watch I had was a Fossil in middle school...so that’s the knowledge base I’m working with right now, lol. I figure some of you big tymers might have some insight for me.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
There’s a thread that started in 2017 and continued into 2019 if you want to bump that

Personally I have a nice Seiko, two cheaper Seiko automatics, Timex weekender with NATO strap, GShock, Citizen Eco Drives among others, but honestly I prefer a cheaper Casio for everyday wear.

I’d love to get a Hamilton automatic next, that’s on my want but don’t need list, it originally was a fairly local company to my area

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Watches, in 2019, are a luxury item that show other people you have money.

Any pleb can check a phone to see time, but now? It's a status thing.

I've often thought about it - because a nice watch does show power and wealth - but fuck it. I don't like the pale skin underneath the watch.

edit: excuse me, it's 2020 now. and here's a great thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?270486-You-guys-wear-watches

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Entry level for me means ideally no more than $500. I think I’d like one of the auto, self winding ones just because I think the technology is cool.

I’ll check the other threads.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Entry level for me means ideally no more than $500. I think I’d like one of the auto, self winding ones just because I think the technology is cool.

The technology is cool I honestly love looking at the insides of an automatic when you flip it over, it really looks like some sort of Steampunk tech or something

Keep in mind with automatics

More moving parts potentially more issues
They aren’t as precise as quartz watches and may lose some seconds each day
You have to get a winder or you will be winding your watch if you don’t wear it for a bit where a battery or solar watch you can just put on and go

All that being said good luck hope you get something you personally enjoy

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Watches, in 2019, are a luxury item that show other people you have money.

Any pleb can check a phone to see time, but now? It's a status thing.

I've often thought about it - because a nice watch does show power and wealth

Some real choice cringe self esteem issue shit right here.

On topic, no I don't, never been interested in watches. I remember as a child when I got my first watch I always forgot to wear it. A friend of mine has a few Rolexes, a Submariner and some other model. My late grandfather had a few PP's which went to my shit tier cousin who immediately sold them.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I've often thought about it - because a nice watch does show power and wealth...

But that one hand is already hidden in your pocket to show leisure, coolness and your uncommitted nature. It would be a shame to pull it out, just to see how relentless time deals with those attributes.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I got a pretty cool one: I can make calls with it, take pictures and video and browse the internet.

It's called a phone.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Watches are like jewelry and I don't wear jewelry.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I have like 12 watches i've kept throughout my life...I dont think i ever replaced a battery on any one of them. Is it weird that i wear it on special occasions even though they dont work.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I have like 12 watches i've kept throughout my life...I dont think i ever replaced a battery on any one of them. Is it weird that i wear it on special occasions even though they dont work.

Yes it is, non working watch is a poor mans accessory 😎

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
I wear Gshocks and Rolexes. I love the cool limited Gshocks, but have slowed down with wearing them lately. Putting a Rolex on in the morning give you that "momma we made it" feeling Everytime.

I would suggest buying a used stainless datejust or entry level sub. They will hold valve so you can wear it for a few years and if you want to upgrade you can prob get your money back.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

Rolex makes quartz watches? I always thought they were mechanical movements.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Watches are like jewelry and I don't wear jewelry.

Ding ding ding. Watches are gaudy bracelets now that we have a digital clock in our pockets at all times.

I have a buddy who makes custom $10k watches for a living. Went to a special watchmaking school sponsored by Rolex or some shit. He only wears a watch to work cuz he has to. Often says watch people are the fucking worst.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
"Sup HDR, long time no see! Can you tell me what time it is, bro? I forgot my phone in the car."

No but it's a Rolex, u mad.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Rolex makes quartz watches? I always thought they were mechanical movements.

The OysterQuartz is quartz. But I think that's one of the only ones, if not the only. So those are bootleg Chinatown watches.

I have a buddy who makes custom $10k watches for a living. Went to a special watchmaking school sponsored by Rolex or some shit. He only wears a watch to work cuz he has to. Often says watch people are the fucking worst.

I'm sure people that buy $10,000 watches are...Not sure about the rest though.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Ive got a Bulova watch I got on a cruise once. I havent used it in about 4 years, and the battery is dead.

Does that make me rad

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Typically looking at $1000 + for an automatic. Tissot is a good brand without spending too much but i dont think they have automatic watches. For an entry level automatic i would say Tag Hauer is a good choice. Of course you could spend 3x more for a Rolex. Rolexes tend to hold their value if thats important to you.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
China and japan have brought the prices of mechanical automatics down substantially. They keep time better than 99% of the swiss movements.
You can get a watch with an OK SeaGull automatic movement for < $100.

The majority of luxury watches are just for show. You can even get a tourbillon for $600 now. That's a real tourbillon and not just a fancy flywheel.

I've actually been doing a little repair on some Soviet era movements. Those are my edc watches currently