Watches

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm not a watch guy at all. I feel once cellphones became prevalent in modern society I gave them up all together. My ex bought me one as a gift, as soon as we broke up I got rid of it.

BUT, a buddy of mine is trying to get me to get an Apple Watch. I kind of want it for the health monitoring stuff, but I'm not sure where it would work in my life. I work at a desk at home, rarely take phone calls, and mostly use my phone for things. I guess it could be useful to have something on my wrist to tell my heart rate/oxygen levels and maybe have the ability to change songs while biking ... but I think I'll wait. Anyone here a non-watch guy won over by Apple watch?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Is there a better alternative to the health tracking stuff? I'm leaving android and going back to apple here soon, so I don't want to venture into the android sphere.
Polar is typically the best for monitoring your workouts, but for bio stuff, Apple Watch is the best. Just make sure to compare the different models; some can monitor stuff like blood oxygen, EKG, etc. and others just do heart rate and whatnot. Apparently a blood sugar feature will be available in 3-4 years.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Is there a better alternative to the health tracking stuff? I'm leaving android and going back to apple here soon, so I don't want to venture into the android sphere.
What are you really getting in health tracking? And in the current model of YATP, is the trade off worth it?

How much of the tech will be sticky bullshit to string users along and lock them in?

if you had glucose monitoring, it would be attractive, but even then, how secure would you feel, especially knowing about data scraping from third party apps and games? For example, Onavo, or any of the games developed by King or Zynga. Not saying you worry about those particular apps, but just that apple and Google are not great at spotting issues in their systems, merely tell people they are safe.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
The digital Casio is probably my favorite because I had one like it when I was a kid. It's similar to the one John Candy wore in 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles.'
I've got one like that, but in gold. As seen in the greatest promotional image ever:
Spoiler:

Harry_Garland_and_Roger_Melen%2C_co-founders_of_Cromemco_%281981%29.jpg

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I would actually wear a gold Casio Illuminator, they are cool looking and they seem to be very inexpensive

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
IMG_20210914_152052829_HDR~3.jpg
New one I got from Amazon last week. The old one was still good, but, the band was falling apart (I had it held together with electrical tape the last few days before this arrived in the mail), and I figured a replacement band would cost almost as much as a new watch anyway, so, I just, said fook it and got another.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
What are you really getting in health tracking? And in the current model of YATP, is the trade off worth it?

How much of the tech will be sticky bullshit to string users along and lock them in?

if you had glucose monitoring, it would be attractive, but even then, how secure would you feel, especially knowing about data scraping from third party apps and games? For example, Onavo, or any of the games developed by King or Zynga. Not saying you worry about those particular apps, but just that apple and Google are not great at spotting issues in their systems, merely tell people they are safe.

I've pretty much given up on all that shit. They know everything about us. They know everything we buy. They know everything we like and don't like. You can't win with either company.

The best thing to do is to get a beeper/pager and use payphones

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
$20 on M actually owning multiple
I’ve had my eye on those 1963 Chinese Air Force Seagull replicas for awhile now, and picked one up during the Aliexpress 11.11 sale this year. It finally came in a couple days ago. Pretty sharp looking watch IMO.

8bd36bc3a4e7f66bd75bb240fa425dd9.jpg
I'm kinda warming up to watches nowadays but I don't care about high-end dick waving. I was actually trying to find a decent Vostok or a Sturmanskie but since I'm a total and complete n00b I'm probably going to be shafted, so might as well buy something that is not "original" from the get-go, and I really, really like how that chronograph looks. I could see myself wearing one daily and I'm about to buy one from aliexpress.
edit: yep bought it! can't wait for it to arrive.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
"How can we make a G-Shock as ugly as possible?"

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My submariner is legit. It's actually a rare
Swiss only model. The other two I got for $10 in Boracay.

20210924_153617~2.jpg

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm not a watch guy at all. I feel once cellphones became prevalent in modern society I gave them up all together. My ex bought me one as a gift, as soon as we broke up I got rid of it.

BUT, a buddy of mine is trying to get me to get an Apple Watch. I kind of want it for the health monitoring stuff, but I'm not sure where it would work in my life. I work at a desk at home, rarely take phone calls, and mostly use my phone for things. I guess it could be useful to have something on my wrist to tell my heart rate/oxygen levels and maybe have the ability to change songs while biking ... but I think I'll wait. Anyone here a non-watch guy won over by Apple watch?

Apple Watch is only useful to check phone notifications without pulling out the phone, particularly in a work setting.

Some Apps on the phone have nice functionality on the watch. Apple Maps when doing a GPS route for example, or the OneWheel App shows how fast I’m traveling on my OneWheel so I don’t have to check my phone for that.

Can be nice for music controls, etc. I’d probably only recommend if you’re invested in the Apple ecosystem. I have the cheapest model but it’s more of a novelty for me.

I don’t use the health stuff lol.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Apple Watch is only useful to check phone notifications without pulling out the phone, particularly in a work setting.

Some Apps on the phone have nice functionality on the watch. Apple Maps when doing a GPS route for example, or the OneWheel App shows how fast I’m traveling on my OneWheel so I don’t have to check my phone for that.

Can be nice for music controls, etc. I’d probably only recommend if you’re invested in the Apple ecosystem. I have the cheapest model but it’s more of a novelty for me.

I don’t use the health stuff lol.

I'm switching from Android to iPhone. Verizone gave me 700 toward a new phone for my s9. I don't think I would see a trade-in value like that if I rode it out for another year considering my phone is approaching the 4 year mark in the spring. I don't want/own macbooks nor do I plan on subscribing to their music system. I dunno, this whole thing is dumb. I just want a phone with good camera taking abilities that doesn't way a ton being in my pocket. I meet a lot of Apple fanatics though, they've really bought in.

Fuck the Apple Watch. staying clear from it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ve been using the IPhone SE models since they’ve released. Seems like a fair price for a phone. I do like the form factor of the new “Mini” models.

I’m not really a phone guy though.

What fascinates me is the generation who has grown up accessing technology (internet and computing in general) through phones.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I had an Android watch I liked as well. I used it for about the same things. Discerning which work messages I needed to reply to and using the occasional app which meshed well with the watch.

I’m just not a power user on wearables or phones.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I actually really like my Apple Watch. I've had the Series 3 for 2 years now, and it's pretty great not to be looking at my phone all the time. I filter the notifications so I only get alerts from high priority people and whatnot, so it's not always buzzing. And the health stuff has helped me lose weight – I use it along with a calorie tracker and a digital scale, all of which talk to one another. Easily skipping 10 seconds on a podcast while driving is amazing. I also have it set to go off if my hear rate gets to a certain point for a few minutes – I get sleep paralysis somewhat often, though less than in the past, and having it to wake me up is useful.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Watch is more of a jewellery piece now , cell phone is more accurate for time . I buy them as investment rather then as timepiece , this get worn occasionally and I got small wrist so it looks awkward . 03295EFD-11CA-4C62-9E70-17EAF7D9422E.jpeg