Watches

I'm looking for a date just but also see some vintage oysterquartz. Probably won't pull the trigger for another year though...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Well, the good thing about taking your time with an expensive watch purchase is that you can try things on and think of what you really want. I don’t want to make a spontaneous decision on something like this and I truly want to make sure it's something I want for a while and not flavor of the month type shit.

I thought the Seamaster by Omega looked beautiful in person, but it’s a bit too blingy for my taste. Here is another watch that’s on my radar, the Black Bay 58 by Tudor (not my pic):

C5BCA042-4011-4346-A6C3-B5BF24F4E148.jpeg

I think the only thing that bothers me about this brand is that they were a Rolex copycat type watchmaker for a long time until they diverged, but even with that being said, this is an obvious homage to the Rolex Sean Connery wore in 007. I like that there isn't a date/day display for me to fuck around with. I also like simpler setups. The dome sapphire is pretty unique too.

Last edited:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Well, the good thing about taking your time with an expensive watch purchase is that you can try things on and think of what you really want. I don’t want to make a spontaneous decision on something like this and I truly want to make sure it's something I want for a while and not flavor of the month type shit.

I thought the Seamaster by Omega looked beautiful in person, but it’s a bit too blingy for my taste. Here is another watch that’s on my radar, the Black Bay 58 by Tudor (not my pic):

View attachment 60372

I think the only thing that bothers me about this brand is that they were a Rolex copycat type watchmaker for a long time until they diverged, but even with that being said, this is an obvious homage to the Rolex Sean Connery wore in 007. I like that there isn't a date/day display for me to fuck around with. I also like simpler setups. The dome sapphire is pretty unique too.
They are basically the same company.
Both are owned by the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation.
Look at the Black Bay Bronze, someday, I'll have one. 🤤

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
They are basically the same company.
Both are owned by the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation.
Look at the Black Bay Bronze, someday, I'll have one. 🤤

yeah, I always found that shit confusing. This Tudor is nice, I'm not a huge fan of the hour hand, but otherwise, I like most everything about this watch.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Tudor has a very good reputation and is considered Rolex’s “affordable” sub brand. So yeah, the Black Bay is definitely the rich poor man’s Submariner if that’s the 007 watch you’re talking about. Personally, I have a hard time getting past the snowflake hands. I briefly considered the 58 Bronze before getting my Oris but it just wasn’t worth the price difference when considering the aspects of the 58 that I dislike.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Tudor has a very good reputation and is considered Rolex’s “affordable” sub brand. So yeah, the Black Bay is definitely the rich poor man’s Submariner if that’s the 007 watch you’re talking about. Personally, I have a hard time getting past the snowflake hands. I briefly considered the 58 Bronze before getting my Oris but it just wasn’t worth the price difference when considering the aspects of the 58 that I dislike.

No watch is truly "perfect", it seems there's always something to nitpick. The Omega Seamaster I was after for a while bothered me that it had an extra crown on the left for the helium valve or whatever. I think I can get past that snowflake hand for the Tudor considering I find the rest of the watch stunning (as well as the 58 bronze). I like Oris a lot. I was on the fence with that one too, but the integrated bracelet turned me off ... not that I would be motivated to swap the bracelet but I like having the option. We'll see. That's why I'm waiting. I feel like every month I latch onto one watch only to change my mind the next.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Personally I would not paid that much for a tag. They are not that nice looking. I would save up and buy a grand seiko instead.

They make nice looking dress watches. I’ll say that about GS.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
That Mario Kart watch costing more than a Senna watch is lol. Fuckin’ cringe.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
That Mario Kart watch costing more than a Senna watch is lol. Fuckin’ cringe.

I'm not a fan of Tag, but I've seen some nice watches by people that like them. I mean they're not garbage watches.

Omega puts Snoopy on a watch and charges $10k = brilliant

Tag does a collab with Nintendo = cringe

But in all fairness, Omega did it better.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Is an apple watch considered "fancy?" Or does it have to have lots of BLING BLING on it to be considered that?

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Is an apple watch considered "fancy?" Or does it have to have lots of BLING BLING on it to be considered that?
No, except maybe the limited edition rose gold/Hermes/whatever the fuck editions. The normal ones are basically just step counters for moms who want to see how far they walked at the grocery store and also check their shopping list on the same device

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Bling? It's not 2005 Greg despite you wanting it to be

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'd buy a wristwatch but I'm waiting until they're seen as sundials or maybe we're already there!

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
IMO they are disposable, soulless trash.
I'm gonna go to bat for the Apple Watch, actually. It's really well designed, pays a lot of homage to horology, keeps me away from my phone, and helps with fitness goals. I think it's also brought a lot of people back to wearing watches, whether they're Apple Watches or regular ones. Since the proliferation of cellphones, watches have kind of died off, but I've seen a lot more people wearing regular watches since the Apple Watch became a thing.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Smart watches as a whole are an abomination and a affront to God himself.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Smart watches as a whole are an abomination and a affront to God himself.
EebgAKbWAAAh7Pu.jpg