Watches

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Daytona and subs are hot commodity, they always hold and exceed their retail value. But I rather have the sub instead cause you can get a few for the price of a Daytona . A lot of price craze was driven by the crypto boom in the last few years as new buyer starting to buy up luxury item in exchange for crypto currency’s as some can spend it but not cash out into a bank account so they exchanged it for goods .nice move as the price crash harder on the crypto then the watches , so is the secondary market of these watches starting to see a downtrend of close to 30% for the pass year .

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
...give me an understated vintage 6263 or better yet a 6238 or 6234 Predaytona any day over a modern one.
Just coming back to this sentiment. My fave 2 sleepers of my Daytona collection (or technically "Pre-Daytonas" as they pre-dated the first Cosmograph Daytona released in 1963... ref. 6239) are these two beauties. The ref. 6234 and the black dial 6238. Both extremely short production runs, especially the 6238 with the black dial variant. And "sleepers" as to most folks not into watches and vintage Rolex specifically, they look like just a couple of old watches.

Attachments

• IMG_7885.jpg
    IMG_7885.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I just lost out on a full kit, never used Zodiac Astrographic. It went for $660. I figure whoever bought it is going to have to put in just as much for rebuilding it.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I really like Oris watches but their prices put them in a weird mid range that is in striking distance of Tudor and Omega. Anyway this is pretty cool but nothing I’d buy:

32A01DB5-623D-4ADE-8C42-7BBD5FDFBD41.jpeg

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Just coming back to this sentiment. My fave 2 sleepers of my Daytona collection (or technically "Pre-Daytonas" as they pre-dated the first Cosmograph Daytona released in 1963... ref. 6239) are these two beauties. The ref. 6234 and the black dial 6238. Both extremely short production runs, especially the 6238 with the black dial variant. And "sleepers" as to most folks not into watches and vintage Rolex specifically, they look like just a couple of old watches.
💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I really like Oris watches but their prices put them in a weird mid range that is in striking distance of Tudor and Omega. Anyway this is pretty cool but nothing I’d buy:
That's a limited edition of 1,000 and has last year's in-house movement (the 400 IIRC). You can get a Pro Pilot for just over $2K if you go with a non-LE and the Sellita (Oris 751) movement.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
That's a limited edition of 1,000 and has last year's in-house movement (the 400 IIRC). You can get a Pro Pilot for just over $2K if you go with a non-LE and the Sellita (Oris 751) movement.

yeah, that's the one thing that pisses me off about Oris, you have to pay $3-4k for the better movement. Most of the $2k range is just average.

But overall I like their designs. I don't think I would buy one because the models I like are $3k+ which puts it in direct competition with other heavyweights.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Yeah just save and buy a Tudor or omega
Don't waste that money on these brands

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Yeah just save and buy a Tudor or omega
Don't waste that money on these brands

f'in wedding, man

it's all good though, I'm going all out that day

could have bought a few rolexes with the money we've spent

I have my "watch fund" on the side, will fire off once we're back in black

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
f'in wedding, man

it's all good though, I'm going all out that day

could have bought a few rolexes with the money we've spent

I have my "watch fund" on the side, will fire off once we're back in black
I hope you have a great day and all but that is dumb

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I agree with Kernow. There is less of a place for these middle price watches because as soon as you buy one their value turns to $0. You can have a nice Citizen/Seiko on the low end or a Rolex on the high end. But those mid priced watches ($1000) are like buying gold plated HiFi cables.

Enjoy your wedding. At our age, you should be spending your money on building a life, not having a party. But it's your life, you party how you want. Thankfully I got married during the tail end of Covid, so we were able to keep it small. I didn't feel bad leaving out extended family and friends, but it would have been contentious outside of the pandemic.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I could never spend, say $20k on a single day when it could be used for so much better things. But hey - have a blow out

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’m surprised to see the lack of love for middies. There are some fine TAGs (including the Sennas and F1s) in the $2k-$6k range.

*I’m in agreement in the ~$500 range. A MotoGP Tissot, seems like a gussied up Invicta tbh.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'd never buy a tag personally, not for that money. There's a watch shop here and when they shut for the night, they don't even bother putting the tags away.

I like the tissot PRX, seems a lot of watch for the money

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'd never buy a tag personally, not for that money. There's a watch shop here and when they shut for the night, they don't even bother putting the tags away.

I like the tissot PRX, seems a lot of watch for the money
There’s a new ice blue auto variation that looks sharp too

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I could never spend, say $20k on a single day when it could be used for so much better things. But hey - have a blow out

Like any relationship, it takes two to tango. The "single day" often is more important to the better half but on the flip side & being 19 yrs into this thing called marital bliss myself, the whole wedding day and lead-up is kind of a sham as I look back on it all. Aside from never buying a modern Rolex for more than retail, she's the best decision I ever lucked into.

PS - Congrats and good luck @roker

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
say $20k on a single day

I wish I got off that easy.

I get where everyone is coming from.

But it's a once in a lifetime party and why not go all out?

Plus it's like a comic book crossover but a crossover of your life. All the friends you have made along the way in your journey in life and your family and her friends and family all in one room together for one night. I'll never forget it.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
where did you pull shitloads of money out of your bootie?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
the whole wedding day and lead-up is kind of a sham

Dealing with vendors and people trying to charge an arm and leg for the most simple things is a huge headache. I get it, really I do. But, I also went along with this. Bought her a ring and everything. She's the love of my life. I gave her the option of going small on this and keeping it more intimate but she wanted a big party and I was (and still am) all for it.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
where did you pull shitloads of money out of your bootie?

work? saving?

I mean, I don't sit around shooting cooking vids all day and listening to vinyl. I'm stuck behind a bullshit ass computer busting my ass and during the pandemic I was busting my ass and saving. Usually I would have spent that money traveling, but yeah, airports were closed. Cities were shutdown. etc.

I'm not going to be in the hole that much after the wedding. If some people are unaware, ethnics give envelopes filled with cash on the wedding day. It's a tradition for Jews, Arabs, Asians, Greeks, etc.

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Dealing with vendors and people trying to charge an arm and leg for the most simple things is a huge headache. I get it, really I do. But, I also went along with this. Bought her a ring and everything. She's the love of my life. I gave her the option of going small on this and keeping it more intimate but she wanted a big party and I was (and still am) all for it.

Elaborating a little more, I have no regrets at all. Everyone had a great time (at least from what I can remember... being so long ago, lol) and in the end, that's whats most important. Celebrate!

But yeah, is it totally necessary... not at all.