We need more commercials like these in the US.

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
A friend of mine shared this with me. I think it worth sharing with all of you.

I Dare You To Watch It All The Way To The End

Maybe you haven't see it.

Perhaps you should.

~~~~~~~~~~

I should warn you about how graphic this video gets.

It was put together by the Australian Transportation Department for it's 20th anniversary of Don't Drink & Drive commercials (many of which you can view under the tab for other videos by this user on youtube). Although some of them are pretty graphic, they probably need to be to get the point across. It's too bad we don't have commercials like this in the US.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
WOW.

Goddamn right the US needs more commercials like this. South Carolina has a "Highways or Dieways" ad campaign that's vaguely like this, but nowhere near as graphic. It's like sixty-minutes-in-30-seconds to show what can happen if you're impaired/distracted/whatever.

But fuck that. Show some serious consequences. Show the cockiness. Show impact. Show grief. Let there be a public outcry against it. I guarantee you that you'll see a bigger outpouring of support from people who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers.

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
The video really picked up about half way through. I am surprised the aussies show that on tv given that they don't tolerate even digitized violence very much. Pretty informative video.

Dio Brando

Mickey's Coach
Isn't funny how the United States has some of the most graphic movies and t.v. shows, depicting brutality, dismemberment, blood and gore, torture, rape, and murder, yet having thirty-second-or-so commercials showing the horrible and real consequences of driving under the influence is offensive?:oh_no:

What really grabbed me was the people's faces in the end, those who had lost a friend, a child, a sibling, a parent. I cannot even begin to grasp the unbearable pain people like that endure.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Do you guys remember the anti-drug meth commercials from some years back? Showed what appeared to be a girl dancing at a club, but the camera turned and it was her having a seizure/OD'ing on the bathroom floor.

I always thought that was good shit.

Australia has some terrible firearm laws. But this commercial rules, a little too long and not as graphic as I expected, but it gets the job done.

Last edited:

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
the commercial was made very well, but i don't agree with it running on television, or even being promoted anywhere but possibly bars.

the graphic violence in that commercial is on another level, and i cant imagine seeing it as a child.

Deuce

the graphic violence in that commercial is on another level, and i cant imagine seeing it as a child.

Blood runs red on the highway. I think that kind of thing should be shown to everyone. Real consequences for real actions.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Blood runs red on the highway. I think that kind of thing should be shown to everyone. Real consequences for real actions.

'blood runs red on the highway'? please, man.

this is why nihilists shouldn't parent, let alone run make these sorts of decisions.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Totally sober non-distracted drivers kill more people every year than any group of drunks could ever dream of.

lol fear campaigns.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I looked up "The Gift of Fear" because when it came out I assumed it was about how parents could do their kids a favor by terrorizing them. Turns out that's not what it's about.
So my comment won't really work.
Anyway PSAs are great for terrifying children, and maybe people who think like children. They also help busybodies feel smug and paternal toward their fellow human beings.
Not sure what else they're good for.

noobyer

War Room Troll
I really hate that song.. but one of our anti dding ads on the radio made me laugh it had valley girl voices and one of them got their arm broke how sad cuz i loled when she said it really hurts because she didnt sound like she was in any pain at all just bad acting is funny no drunk driving,,and to the poster saying more sober drivers kill people.. well there aree thankfully alot more sober drivers and remember if your drunk you may become suicidal???!!:mad::mad::mad:

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
But this commercial rules, a little too long and not as graphic as I expected, but it gets the job done.

This isn't so much a single commercial as it is a montage of 20 years of commercials aired in Australia.

Totally sober non-distracted drivers kill more people every year than any group of drunks could ever dream of.

lol fear campaigns.

If you look at some of the commercials they have made, they are not limited to just DUI. They address speeding, reckless driving, failing to wear a seat belt, and other actions that contribute to fatalities:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TACVictoria#p/u

Deuce

'blood runs red on the highway'? please, man.

I was making a reference to Moving Violations. Little known 80s comedy starring Bill Murray's little-known brother. Good stuff.

But seriously, this shit is lightweight compared to what gets marketed to kids on a daily basis. Remember, this is America! Sex bad, violence good.

Dio Brando

Mickey's Coach

You make a good point, but I doubt that you would see this airing between Saturday morning cartoons, not to mention, as Deuce said, you can find much more horrible depictions of violence in the media nowadays, unfortunately.

I'm sure most of you have seen the workplace safety ones from canada? they are pretty disturbing themselves

Man, you know the one with the chef and the pot of fry oil? Her face is burned into my mind...*shudder*

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Along with those Canadian workplace safety commercials, these highway commercials should be aired here in the states.

Who remembers that one commercial with the cook slipping in the kitchen and getting hot oil all over her face?