We really do live in the future

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member

Now all they have to do is refine it further and find a way to bypass the damaged spinal cord, tapping directly into the brain so the person can actually control the device as if they were their legs.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Now all they have to do is refine it further and find a way to bypass the damaged spinal cord, tapping directly into the brain so the person can actually control the device as if they were their legs.

I wonder if they could do that simply with electrodes. I've seen people that can control mouse cursors and monkeys that can control robotic arms with nothing more than one of those electrode caps.

Whoever finds a way to prevent or cure spinal damage will be one of the most important people to ever exist.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I dunno, maybe. Walking is a pretty complex action, automated robots can still barely do it the way we do naturally.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
reminds me of the prototype suit Mickey Rourke makes in Ironman 2.

Great technology.

As for spinal cord injury, won't stem cell research help us correct those injuries?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member

There's also the Raytheon version built for industrial and military usage based on the same technology.

aria

Former Moderator
I did get a kick out of the original military tech being called "HULC" (obviously intended) --though the CEO's accent totally mangled the pronunciation.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
WHERE IS CLARANCE BODDIGER

robocop.jpg

(Oh, wait. You guys have already beat that joke into the ground for me... grrr...)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Coincidentally I was reading an article today in National Geographic while I was at work about all the new bionic limbs.

Truly inspiring.

Think what the next 50 years will bring.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I was going to make a smart ass comment about how we live in the present, but that is amazing. The oppurtunities people can have due to science are incredible. The difference made in 100 years is like looking into the stone age. You watch a movie from the 70s or 80s and we already have better technology than they thought the people of 2050 would have. If you would've told Gerald Ford that in 30 years he could check his mail, make phone calls, and look at naked women on a tiny little portable screen on the go he would have thought you mental

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Awesome and inspiring. Doing work like that and then seeing the joy you bring to people like the lady in that video must be some of the most rewarding work in the world.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
As for spinal cord injury, won't stem cell research help us correct those injuries?

One day, but regrowing nervous and spinal cord tissue from stem cells is still along way away.

I'm sure we'll perfect robotic legs that work as good as natural ones first.

I wonder if a player with a robotic limb would be allowed in a pro sport.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
One day, but regrowing nervous and spinal cord tissue from stem cells is still along way away.

I'm sure we'll perfect robotic legs that work as good as natural ones first.

I wonder if a player with a robotic limb would be allowed in a pro sport.

would be more ethical than outrunning a bunch of down syndrome kids in the 100m dash on legs made of pure science

SSS

neo retired
Anyone who's against stem cell research should be barred from utilizing this technology as well.

BattraxZ

Banned
The new wheelchair!

so to move the legs you move the opposite crutch forward? Whats the guy in the ad do with his crutches when he's supposedly reaching for stuff in the cupboard? Good thing the people who want these will have kept their arms in shape cuz unless you were loaded into some sort of basket for your torso or a serious corset setup these wouldn't give you much support.
I won't be impressed-scared- until the electrical control interface with nerves advance is made. Anyone ever see the definition of cybernetics that said something about the control of muscles or electronics>mostly through pain?:conf:

http://www.mcpeepants.com/sounds/047edork/edork10.mp3

Maybe good for some people though:)