Weekly Roundup 2-26-17

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Haven't been in much of a mood for gaming lately.

GBA
Double Dragon Advance

Vita
Zen Pinball 2
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Wii VC
Mario Party 2

Last edited:

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Dreamcast
Guilty Gear X
Capcom vs SNK pro

Psone
KOF 99
Metal slug X

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98
PS4:
Nitronplus Blasterz - Heroines Infinite
TomClancy's - The Division

Genesis:
Ghouls and Ghosts

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Lufia II still

god damn Ancient Cave

it's a randomly generated 99 floor dungeon. when you enter you lose all your items and equipment and all your characters reset to level one. You have to get through the whole dungeon in one shot and you can only use stuff you find in the dungeon.

and it keeps kicking my ass

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Lufia II still

god damn Ancient Cave

it's a randomly generated 99 floor dungeon. when you enter you lose all your items and equipment and all your characters reset to level one. You have to get through the whole dungeon in one shot and you can only use stuff you find in the dungeon.

and it keeps kicking my ass

Sounds like Shiren the Wanderer on Vita

famicommander

15 Year Member
Lufia II is like the very best parts of Zelda (dungeon design, use of tools, environmental puzzles) had a baby with the very best parts of Final Fantasy (classic JRPG battle system, epic soundtrack, massive overworld map, lots of sidequests).

And the Ancient Cave is just one sidequest. Maybe the best one anybody every put in a video game.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Lufia II is like the very best parts of Zelda (dungeon design, use of tools, environmental puzzles) had a baby with the very best parts of Final Fantasy (classic JRPG battle system, epic soundtrack, massive overworld map, lots of sidequests).

And the Ancient Cave is just one sidequest. Maybe the best one anybody every put in a video game.

I never played the Lufia series, but I think I'd like it. Isn't it expensive on SNES? I like playing originals, no emus.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yes, the Lufia games on SNES can be expensive.

Lufia II is by far the best game in the series. In my mind it's the best game of all time.

The whole Lufia series
Lufia and the Fortess of Doom (SNES) -- good game, but it can be frustrating. Has that early JRPG issue where if you target an enemy that gets killed before your character attacks it, they still attack the space where the enemy was and miss. Moderately expensive; $30-50

Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals (SNES) -- actually a prequel to Fortress of Doom. In fact, the very beginning of Fortress of Doom spoils the Lufia II endgame. Aside from one dungeon being glitchy (only an issue in the US version) I consider it a perfect video game. It's the most expensive game in the series, unfortunately. Expect to pay $50-60 minimum, sometimes $80-100 just for a loose cart.

Lufia: The Legend Returns (GBC) -- the last true game in the series. Tries to advance some of the systems in Rise of the Sinistrals, to sometimes mixed results. Better than Fortress of Doom, not as good as Rise of the Sinistrals. Not super expensive. Worth playing. $20-30

Lufia: The Ruins of Lore (GBA) -- Actually a "gaiden" game. Not developed by Neverland, the guys who made the other games in the series. It's a fairly generic JRPG. Not bad by any stretch, but not essential. On the plus side, it's super cheap. $15-35

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals (DS) -- a remake of Rise of the Sinistrals. Unfortunately they changed the aesthetic of the game to "androgynous anime teenagers", changed the battle system to real time, and fucked up what I consider the best soundtrack, puzzle design, and dungeon design ever put into an RPG. Avoid.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Alright now I want to try out a Lufia game. Hope you're happy.

Been messing around with my PS2 mostly this week. Wachenroder sold me a Free Mcboot memory card, so I've been experimenting with playing games off of the HDD.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Alright now I want to try out a Lufia game. Hope you're happy.

family-guy-good-good-evil-cockroach.gif

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
SNES:
SUPER PUNCHOUT! - Fighting those bullshit ass Bruiser brothers in the special circuit. I can smell victory but can only achieve it if i learn to dodge his punk ass cheating ass elbow >:I

PC:
SFV
RE7 MADHOUSE

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
XB1
COD Ghosts - Extinction local co-op, relic run, stuck on nightfall...again. Trying to earn more teeth, Shit is addicting.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
PS4
Pacman 256
Bit trip runner
Neo Turfmasters

Arcade (Hit up Round 1 twice this week)
NesicaxLive:
Ultra Street Fighter 4
Kof xiii

DoDonPachi
Cho Chabudai Gaeshi
Crusin Blast

Last edited:

CrystalCore

Crazed MVS Addict
PC:

Duke Nukem 3D: Alien Extermination (custom levels, not the original levels)

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Had some good KOF 98 and Garou matches with some friends this week. Switched out to a different shooter as well and have been playing Dangun Feveron trying to learn control of the damn Uo Poko cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Nintendo DS

Jewel Master: Egypt
A simple match-3 puzzle game, but the blocks are also resources (food, money, and building materials) that you can then use to upgrade and expand your Egyptian empire in a Civilzation-lite like fashion. Super addictive, I was playing this one night, and glanced at my watch, expecting to see that it was eleven or twelve o'clock, and it was two in the morning. Great as it is, I wish that it also had endless and/or Vs battle modes, but all you get is the main game and the ability to replay any stage that you've already completed.

WordJong
Scrabble meets solitaire Mahjong. If you enjoy both, like me, this game will devour your time. You get a standard campaign, daily challenges, and Vs mode.

Super Collapse 3
Another great puzzle game with lots of different modes to mess around with. You don't actually manipulate the blocks in this one, you just tap on any cluster of 3-or-more like-colored bricks to make them disappear, which sounds simple, but it quickly becomes anything but when the speed picks up. The "Relapse" game, where blocks come in from both the floor and ceiling simultaneously is particularly crazy.

Nicktoons MLB
I don't purchase a lot of sports games, but the ability to play baseball with Ren, Stimpy, Powdered Toastman, etc. on my team roster was all it took to convince me. It's much more arcade style than sim too which is what I prefer in sports titles. They should have set some crackers in the outfield though . . .

Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits
As they're all early-to-mid 2000s songs, the track list isn't as rich or memorable as the other two Guitar Hero On Tour games, but it's still a solid entry in the series. While I initially disliked them, I quickly grew to enjoy the fan challenges where you have to succeed at miscellaneous criteria in addition to completing the song without failing (hit so many notes in a row, play without strumming the touchscreen, whammy bar an "x" number of sustained notes, attack your opponent so many times during a guitar duel, etc.)

Purr Pals
A pet kitten simulator. I didn't play this for several days to check on my kitten, and, when I did finally pop it back into my DS Lite, I was dismayed to find that the cat box had 60+ shits in it (and I'm not exaggerating, the game actually keeps count of the turds in there). No cat shits that much unless there's something seriously wrong with it, so, I don't know what the developers were smoking. So, what did the game do about my prison-worthy feline neglect? Docked me $2 from my $5 allowance. We've got two real cats and they're honestly much less work to take care of than the virtual ones in this game are (and, ha-ha, no, I don't let mountains of cat shit accumulate in their cat box, it gets scooped multiple times a day). Sadly, Purr Pals also has a tendency to crash to a white screen (I knew that going in, from reading IGN's review, but, I bought it anyway, 'cuz I love kitties) especially when you're trying to access one of the hilarious mini games to earn money.

Gameboy Advance

Shrek
It's just the original movie, not an actual game, but, even though the video is heavily compressed, it's impressive that they managed to squeeze the entire hour-and-a-half film onto a GBA cart (based on the length of some of the other Gameboy Advance Video cartoon episode carts that I've watched in the past, I was expecting a truncated version of Shrek). I love Eddie Murphy's Donkey character and I found this for a steal (fifty cents!) so I couldn't say no. The sound quality is surprisingly good too.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
PS4:
Nioh - On the 3rd island
KOF XIV - learning Verse

Sega CD:
Snatcher - About 3-4 hours in. The dialog is so great

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I started playing Zelda (really the first time for me) and never realized how much I suck at it. I've played ALttp several times, but I am downright dreadful at the original.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I started playing Zelda (really the first time for me) and never realized how much I suck at it. I've played ALttp several times, but I am downright dreadful at the original.

+1

the original nes zelda definitely needs a remake. the clunky gameplay and lack of a decant map and clues make the game harder than it should be.

CrystalCore

Crazed MVS Addict
+1

the original nes zelda definitely needs a remake. the clunky gameplay and lack of a decant map and clues make the game harder than it should be.

Maybe Nintendo originally wanted it to be clunky with exploratory game play, so they feel no need to remake it?