Weekly Roundup

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yup, I'm also coming off 2 modern games and it was like "oh this still looks surprisingly good" and then immidiately hit with the right stick being basically useless was like being crippled. I know that that's how it's always been but you'd think at some point with all these ports that would have been added.

The knife is also super awkward, it should be a single button.

They just need to remake it at this point.

I will say though it is nice to go back to a bit of an older game style before your health was constantly regenerated and there is a prompt for literally everything. That kind of handholding has turned modern gamers in clueless dolts that need games to practically play themselves.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Dragon warrior for the og NES and Final Fantasy remake on PSP.
Also Beneath a Steel Sky, hadn't played that in ages.
Have been checking out prices on used PS4s. Never had one (or the PS3) & I'm thinking about picking one up.
Prices are better than expected.
No idea why tho.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
10/10/21

Switch
Tetris 99 - New skin to unlock
Toree 3D 2 - Fun $.99 game ran through this one a little quicker than the first one but it still was enjoyable

PS4
G Darius HD - Ran through this once so far

PS1 on PS3
Game Paradise 2 - 3d certainly didn’t age as well as the original 2d game

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Dead Space - we finished this up early last week. Still a fantastic game.

Alan Wake - we tried this one for scary game month. She was not a fan of the narrative direction, how the game narrates like a book throughout. Finding the manuscript pages was fun, but combat got old quickly in larger, more open areas. We decided to not continue it after 1 day.

PS3
Dead Space 2 - she requested this and actually played through a fair bit. A superior game in nearly every way to DS1, she was hooked. She wants to get Dead Space 3 to see the end of Isaac's story, and i am reluctant to say the least.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
PS4 - FFXII: The Zodiac Age

I never played the original so I don't know what changes have been made in this version, feels more like a traditional JRPG than Blantheus, with the cartoony characters whose proportions resemble those of action figures and the more grounded plot with a heavy dose of realpolitik instead of "Super teen is chosen by the gods to save the world/Super teen challenges convention and saves the world" which is standard fare in the FF games these days. Combat system with the gambits is great and makes the rather constant battles a breeze. Also seems to have a large amount of post-game bosses.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
PS4 - FFXII: The Zodiac Age

I never played the original so I don't know what changes have been made in this version, feels more like a traditional JRPG than Blantheus, with the cartoony characters whose proportions resemble those of action figures and the more grounded plot with a heavy dose of realpolitik instead of "Super teen is chosen by the gods to save the world/Super teen challenges convention and saves the world" which is standard fare in the FF games these days. Combat system with the gambits is great and makes the rather constant battles a breeze. Also seems to have a large amount of post-game bosses.
I'm glad I was not the only one who recently played through XII for the first time.

Setting up your gambits and running through places at 4x speed was the best way to grind

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Haven’t played much this week. Little bit of D2: R.

Played some Mighty Goose since it’s on gamepass. It’s not very good but it’s not bad.

It feels like it was made by someone who watched someone else play a game like Metal Slug, but didn’t really “get” the nuances of Metal Slug.

Game is to an extent faster paced but at least for me, it’s not always clear what can be dodged or what enemy projectiles can be shot. Combined with seemingly infinite lives and checkpoints (which are welcome I guess because so far at least one of the bosses was completely unintuitive). With how many health packs you get (you can get hit four times before dying) it almost seems inevitable you will get hit. Especially when the action is frantic and the explosions dominate the screen complete with this ridiculous explosion slow down.

Default difficulty seems pretty easy too.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Dead Space - we finished this up early last week. Still a fantastic game.

Alan Wake - we tried this one for scary game month. She was not a fan of the narrative direction, how the game narrates like a book throughout. Finding the manuscript pages was fun, but combat got old quickly in larger, more open areas. We decided to not continue it after 1 day.

PS3
Dead Space 2 - she requested this and actually played through a fair bit. A superior game in nearly every way to DS1, she was hooked. She wants to get Dead Space 3 to see the end of Isaac's story, and i am reluctant to say the least.

this just came out a couple days ago about Alan Wake and the history of its production

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
10/17
Took Friday off, realized it was my first vacation day this year since I came back to this job in March

Swich
Tetris 99
Match of the Millennium- Been trying to unlock the characters
League Bowling - Got a score in the 200s one of my highest
Terra Force - Need to spend more time with this

PS4
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Gleylancer

Saturn
GT 24 - Kinda Jaleco’s Ridge Racer, Model 2 arcade racer

Sonic Council - Went through this with one of the characters using a Brook Sat/PS4 adapter to my Venom arcade stic I tried the adapter out for the first time, these Brook adapters are great I have a few of them.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
PS4: More FFXII, taking a break from the main quest to do monster hunts, some of them are irritating since the monsters spawn only in certain weather conditions, also some of the difficulty in the fights is bullshit, spells that bypass Reflect or abilities that suddenly double the opponent's level, stats, hp, and cast Haste, Bravery and Berserk on it. Or the 'palings' which make the monster immune to physical or magic damage for a few minutes.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
10/24/21
Took Monday off for a 4 day weekend. Probably played too many games this week.

SNES
Super Bonk - Really like this game but it’s too damn long

Power Instinct - Always been a fan of this series wish the newest one had a home port I did get to play that at Round 1 once.

Alpha 2 - Always loved the SNES port of this we used to play this at the game store I worked at instead of the PSX port back in the 90s

Gokujo Parodius

Cotton 100%

Switch
Tetris 99

Match of the Millennium- Have a few more characters to unlock

Progear - Didn’t realize you could buy the Capcom games separately now, picked this up and a few others. Used rewind to “1cc” it.

Genesis
Chase HQ II

Panorama Cotton - Never played this not as much of a fan vs the 2d ones

Grindstormer

PS4
Sayonara Wild Hearts - Finished this it was a fun experience definitely worth the playthrough

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
NES

SMB3
Tetris
DK Classics
Dynowarz: Destruction of Spondylus
Adventure Island
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom

Broke down and picked up some 8bitdo wireless controllers for NES.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I can't stop playing Hades. I am up to about 20x now and just experimenting with different builds.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Played through Layers of Fear on PS4 last night and this afternoon.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
GBA:
Shining soul 2

Pc:
PSO blue burst Ephinea

Neo:
Should be playing xeno crisis, but haven't been.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
PS4
Bioshock - always a goodie for October

Switch
Crosscode - finally done with this. Fun game but overstayed its welcome. The story pacing was slow, and puzzles were cumbersome. If you need to add a slider for puzzle difficulty, then you know your balance is off.

Metroid Dread - started this last night and best the first 2 EMMI. I love Samus' fluid movement, but the controls are a bit to get used to. I instinctively try to use ZL/ZR to aim and use missiles, so it's a bit to get used to using L/R instead. I am feeling the setting and looking forward to exploring more

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
PS4

Manifold Garden- Gorgeous and the puzzles are mostly solid without being infuriating but the environments get a bit too confusing since they become quite large. It's pretty awesome otherwise.

Layers of Fear 2- Not as good as the first one since it's pretty linear and the monsters don't really work but it is far more polished. It also lacks the atmosphere and psychotic reality bending of the first but I dig the setting, a giant transatlantic cruise ship in the 1920s or 30s is pretty original for a horror game.