Weekly Roundup

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
PS4
Y's: Memories of Celceta- About 20 hours in now and man it's a good thing the combat is so solid because everything else is a perfect reminder of why I hate so many jrpgs. There is zero charm to the story, every line of dialogue is a slog. On top of that it's ugly, dated and the shitty 3D robs the game of any sense of visual appeal.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
PS4
Y's: Memories of Celceta- About 20 hours in now and man it's a good thing the combat is so solid because everything else is a perfect reminder of why I hate so many jrpgs. There is zero charm to the story, every line of dialogue is a slog. On top of that it's ugly, dated and the shitty 3D robs the game of any sense of visual appeal.
I'm glad i am not the only one who feels this exact sentiment, and i played it on the Vita

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
PS4
Platinumed it shortly after the PS4 version came out.

I originally bought the Vita one and just stopped playing for some reason. I can't remember if I was stuck or, was waiting on a guide. I will say playing it on a TV is much better than the Vita. Characters were very small on the screen and it was hard to see what was going on.

Also, FYI, I was the one who recommended the game to you so, try not to hate me too much. :D

Jon

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Platinumed it shortly after the PS4 version came out.

I originally bought the Vita one and just stopped playing for some reason. I can't remember if I was stuck or, was waiting on a guide. I will say playing it on a TV is much better than the Vita. Characters were very small on the screen and it was hard to see what was going on.

Also, FYI, I was the one who recommended the game to you so, try not to hate me too much. :D

Jon
Well I'm almost done with it, somewhere around 85% so I'll go ahead and finish it. Like I said the combat and music are excellent but everything else is terrible.

It's an astonishingly lazy port. There are almost no upgrades from the Vita version, which is really disappointing. You can't even map the buttons properly to the PS4 controller. I expect jrpgs to be cliche but this is embarrassing, especially for a game made in 2012.

Just remember to bring Seikiro next time and we'll call it even lol.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Well I'm almost done with it, somewhere around 85% so I'll go ahead and finish it. Like I said the combat and music are excellent but everything else is terrible.

It's an astonishingly lazy port. There are almost no upgrades from the Vita version, which is really disappointing. You can't even map the buttons properly to the PS4 controller. I expect jrpgs to be cliche but this is embarrassing, especially for a game made in 2012.

Just remember to bring Seikiro next time and we'll call it even lol.
I wasn't too keen on the game, initially. Story wise, they were (mostly) going for a different take on the canonical Super Famicom version. This is opposed to the PC Engine version, which is much better.

Graphic wise, it is fine, to me. Calling it PS2/Dreamcast 3D is a bit harsh. Definitely way better than say Shenmue and Head Hunter, for instance. The button placement is fine to me. It isn't like say Super Mario and having B be jump bad. I may actually need to check as you can definitely change button mapping in Ys 8, for instance.

I would also like to point out you turned down Dragonquest 11 for Ys, which shocked me but, whatever, I will bring Sekiro next time.

Jon

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
PC / Steam

The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match:
I finally got around to playing this. It's great! The rollback netcode works really well and there were a few people (who were really good) playing online to play against. I love how it has so many characters and the new backgrounds are tolerable. I'm really impressed with it and will be spending more time with it. I watched a few tournaments online on YouTube and it looks like high level play is pretty interesting. SNK added a ton of shit to the game (shit ton of new characters + moves) and all the bosses. I have an extra Steam Key kicking around that may still work if anyone wants to play it with me online (just PM me).

Guilty Gear Strive: Still loving this game. I am well over 100 hours into it (almost all of that is online play) and I am still digging it.

DNF Duel: I've fallen off this game hard. Just not enough to it... but on Monday a balance patch is coming. I'll give it one more chance.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Super Mario World - been close to 20 years since I played and beat this. I understand why some people prefer 3, but this may as well have been magic to me when I was 5.

One thing that surprised me was how easy Bowser's castle was, especially coming after the hardest castle in the game. I remember being so scared of the castle when I was a child.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Switch
Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze - on 6-2 now. Fun game, tough but not quite as bullshit as the first Returns game. I'm really liking the new Kong power ups (Dixie for the win)

PS4
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered - been years since i played this game. Such a fun one and grateful that they were able to license the soundtrack again.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
PS3

The Saboteur- I have heard this recommended by a bunch of people in underrated PS3 lists so I gave it a shot. I was expecting a story heavy FPS but it's just an awful GTA clone. Horrible driving and combat, tedious missions and trying too hard to be adult. It's basically everything wrong with that era of gaming. Though I like the idea of being a part of the French Resistance during WWII and the gimmick of everything being in black and white then gaining color as you progress. It's just too bad the game is so generic and clunky.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Was playing some Chrono Trigger, Super Castlevania 4 and Turtles in Time but went back to the Neo.

Real Bout Special: Still finding new combos in this awesome classic.

King of Fighters 94: Has some of my favourite back grounds in any fighter and I love the simplicity of 94/95.

Metal Slug X: MS2>MSX but still a great game.

Magical Drop 3: I like this more than Puzzle Bobble and probably my favourite puzzle game on the Neo.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Demon's World - 1990 arcade, Toaplan, also known as Horror Story. I have wanted to beat this game for over ten years and just did it right now, I feel happy. It's actually a really forgiving game. No power ups, so when you die and go back to the checkpoint you're not fucked like in Gradius.

Enemies don't repeat until the end of the game, so that really helps every level feel unique. In the first level at the very beginning, there is one drunk enemy standing on top of a barrel, takes one shot to kill, hit him too fast and you'll miss him even. It's the only time this enemy is seen in the game. All that work on creating an enemy sprite, and he's only seen once in the whole game. Stuff like that really makes this title stand out to me.

For whatever reason, this game doesn't seem to be talked about as much as other Toaplan games, but I've always been captivated by it in the same way as Ghouls n Ghosts or Strider. There's a lot of character and love that went into this.

Right in time for autumn and Halloween next month too.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Collectorvision (think Colecovision roided up)

Yar's Revenge fun update
Food Fight about to play it for the first time.
Star Fire iirc I don't like the controls
Some Heman port fun game

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Bloodborne- I want to like this game so much. I love the aesthetics, weapons, enemy designs etc. but I fucking suck. I know it's my own fault but the learning curve is just not clicking for me. I mean 5 hours in and haven't actually enjoyed myself at all, I'm willing to put up with a lot but this just isn't working.

Tomb Raider Anniversary- This is surprisingly good, a really nice update to the original all around.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
PS4
Castlevania Anniversary Collection
TMNT Cowabunga Collection

Finish two runs of castlevania bloodlines all ready now i need to try to complete the u.s version of cv III dracula curse for the first time.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Bloodborne- I want to like this game so much. I love the aesthetics, weapons, enemy designs etc. but I fucking suck. I know it's my own fault but the learning curve is just not clicking for me. I mean 5 hours in and haven't actually enjoyed myself at all, I'm willing to put up with a lot but this just isn't working.
Keep at it, great game. For me the problem was to try to play it like Dark Souls, you have a to be a lot more aggressive since you get health back from succesful attacks etc.

On topic: noticed that the Nioh 2 season pass was 50% off at PSN so I got that, been unlocking the side quests in the main game that weren't available before. Some of them are bullshit though, the ones where you're locked in a small area and have to fight two-three individual enemies + spawning bulk ones and a boss at the end of it. I prefer actual levels to these "endurance races" also the summonable companions are often dumb as hell and you have to keep them alive by healing/buffing them now and then.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Keep at it, great game. For me the problem was to try to play it like Dark Souls, you have a to be a lot more aggressive since you get health back from succesful attacks etc.
I finally made a bit of progress last night which admittedly felt pretty good but then immediately got my shit pushed in by the next group of enemies. I keep thinking about the game when I'm not playing it though, which is a good sign. I haven't even gotten far enough that I can upgrade any of my stats or weapons which is the most discouraging part. It just feels like I'm not making any actual progress.

I'm new to the Souls games though. The only one I've played is Demons and that was like a decade ago and I only played it for a few hours.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Also, make sure that you pick the Saw Cleaver as your starting weapon.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

Tomb Raider Anniversary- This is surprisingly good, a really nice update to the original all around.
I had to try Sekiro being a huge Tenchu fan and I have to say it's the worst best game ever made due to how difficult it was. If the difficulty was bearable it would shit on all stealth ninja games that came before it. I think I got through 10% of the game in four months. I'm not some one who is easily impressed by graphics but Sekiro was just soo beautiful to look at as well.

And I was really looking forward to that Son Wukong game that's coming soon. But will have to pass due to my experience with Souls like games.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Been playing Radiant Silvergun on Switch. Even in story mode, I’m not seeing cutscenes. Are they unlockable, or just cut out?

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
PC
Guilty Gear Strive
Third Strike (FightCade)
Mushihime Sama (Steam)
DeathSmiles I and II (Steam)

Really enjoyed playing Mushihime sama again after not playing it for 10 years+. It has to be my favorite shooter or at least in my top 5.

Question: what is Mushihime Futari? I keep seeing it on the wiki and I think I saw it for sale for the Xbox360 or something weird.

I played DeathSmiles for the first time and it was great. DeathSmiles II was awful ... Some of the worst graphics and hand drawn art I've seen and definitely the worst feeling Cave game.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
PS5
Horizon Forbidden West - just started this with the wife. i agree that the controls are really slick, most noticable in areas with differing elevations like rock faces. I'm enjoying it at the Performance mode, still looks beautiful and the frame rate helps a lot. About to do the Embassy

PS4
Dangun Feveron - just putzing with it before starting to join the SOTM

Bloodborne - at the blood starved beast. His poison is what does me in, either that or the stupid move he does when he has 10% health and just jumps and bites you, taking a ton of life and insta poisoning you.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I finally made a bit of progress last night which admittedly felt pretty good but then immediately got my shit pushed in by the next group of enemies. I keep thinking about the game when I'm not playing it though, which is a good sign. I haven't even gotten far enough that I can upgrade any of my stats or weapons which is the most discouraging part. It just feels like I'm not making any actual progress.

I'm new to the Souls games though. The only one I've played is Demons and that was like a decade ago and I only played it for a few hours.
I'm surprised you haven't contacted @greedostick. Isn't he obsessed with these games? There should be a co-op mode where you can meet up in game and exchange weapons/items. (At least there should be. Whether or not there actually is, no idea.)

Jon

Edit: Just started Tales of Phantasia for PS1.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I'm surprised you haven't contacted @greedostick. Isn't he obsessed with these games? There should be a co-op mode where you can meet up in game and exchange weapons/items. (At least there should be. Whether or not there actually is, no idea.)

Jon

You two should get a room...or at least both drive out for Whitecastle's.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

Jon

I don't have PS+, also I want to play as much as I can without guides etc. It's far more rewarding that way.

Got about 20 hours in now and aside from the camera I don't really have any major complaints. The very beginning and the learning curve is so different from anything else I've played before but now that I've gotten the flow of the game down somewhat it's really enjoyable. It's really a perfect balance of difficulty, frustration, effort, reward and enjoyment. It's a masterpiece.