Weekly Roundup

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Just Guilty Gear Strive every week.... you'd think I'd be better at it... just week in and week out... Strive strive strive strive strive

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Borderlands 2

It's been a while but I started a new game.

Food Fight
Yar's Revenge

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Sega Saturn: Blast Wind.

After years of on again/off again I was on the verge of tossing this one out to the wolves, re: the audio.

On default settings, the sound effects are WAY louder than the music. It’s awful. Play at low volume, bombs and shot noises drown out the music…play at high enough volume to hear the music-the sound effects will give you a headache.

No volume control for either in the options menu.

Last night, something clicked. I read up more on the game, and learned it was originally an arcade title ported to Saturn years after not moving past the loketest phase.

An arcade game. Hmmmm. Most of my arcade games, are mono.

Entered Blast Wind options screen, toggled audio settings to mono-JACKPOT. Properly balanced audio!

Game is meh, w/ some bright spots. Prolly takes longer to read this post than 1-all it. Music is sick, button/toggle path gimmick is dumb, sprite work is mixed. 90% of this game’s assets could’ve been done on Genny.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Sega Saturn: Blast Wind.
Huh, never would have thought about the audio like that. Makes sense and it always bugged me as well.

It's a supremely mediocre game with some neat gimmicks but it's still Technosoft and it has surprisingly good presentation to match their other games on the system which I always thought was cool.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Huh, never would have thought about the audio like that. Makes sense and it always bugged me as well.

I was hoping you’d read this, as I’m playing your old copy-heh. Man, that sound issue vexed me for *endless*.

Wish these guys had done more tate games.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I picked up Valkyrie Elysium for PS5, played through the first stage (more of an intro stage). It's a pretty fun game to play connecting combos. Some people complain about the graphics, but I think it looks fine. If you like norse mythology and action RPG type of games it'll be a fun game for you.

I never played the first two Splatoon games, but I picked up Splatoon 3. The single player story mode is actually pretty fun. I immediately switched controls so I could use twin sticks over using motion controls, but maybe motion controls would work well if I wasn't using the pro controller.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
PS5
Arcade Paradise
Soul Hackers 2

Switch
Mario Party Superstars
Hades
Shin Megumi Tensi 5

Arcade
Atari Star Wars
Xmen
Simpsons

V-pins
Attack from Mars
Hurricane

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
PS4
Bloodborne - not only am i doing my own playthrough, but the wife and I are playing through together on a separate file. She's never played a Souls-like game, and this is an interesting experiment watching her get used to the combat. Our file is a strength quality build, while mine is a skill based character. Love the game so far, in the forbidden woods.

Vewlix
Dangun Feveron
Pocky and Rocky Reshrined

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ninja Gaiden - NES, 1989. Finally beat this game. Well. Only after discovering and using save states for the first time in my life. Because dying on one of the three last bosses only to be sent allllll the waaaaaay back to the beginning of the whole level is not fair nor just. Also, I thought of electricgrave while playing this game, "always keep moving, never stop." He was my Mr. Miyagi.
Spoiler:
IMG_20221015_110305.jpg

Bonze Adventure - arcade, 1988. I always reckoned this was Taito's attempt at a Ghosts n Goblins, except with a Japanese setting. Attempt is the right word, because it falls short. Each level always seems to build to a climax, but without bosses for every level it falls flat. That said, mao bless Taito. It is a charming, cute game. And very cool game over screen.
Spoiler:
IMG_20221015_131958.jpg

Spoiler:
IMG_20221015_172849.jpg

Valis III - Genesis, 1991. This is the only Valis I ever played, aside from Valis SD and Super Valis IV. It's a super simple Castlevania III clone. I've always thought the enemies were so weird and thematically out of place. That said, despite its shortcomings, I have a soft spot for this game. The first level, when Yuuko jumps off the building to grab the sword and catches it in mid-air and the music matches perfectly, still holds up as one of the coolest moments in a Genesis game imo.
Spoiler:
IMG_20221015_132046.jpg

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I'm still playing the castlevania anniversary collection via ps4.Most of the games i have completed with,castlevania belmont revenge earlier i just have have smion's quest left.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
PS4
Bloodborne - the playthrough with my wife has taken over, so that's now gonna be the primary playthrough. At Byrgenwerth about to fight Rom.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Switch
Hades - Finally made it to the last boss but can't beat him
Legend of Heroes Trails from 0

PS5
Arcade Paradise

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I tried to play Popful Mail on Mega CD but it kept crashing. So I switched to Vay.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
PS4
Bloodborne - playing through the DLC and enjoying it, only have Laurence and Orphan of Kos left to beat. Ludwig was an absolutely epic fight

Switch
KOTOR - chipping away at this, I'm not making much progress at all. At Taris about to go find some random kid to break into a base.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
JAMMA
Mobile Suit Gundam
(Banpresto, 1993)

Really cool deets like tiny humans running along the foreground of the hangar level. Chunky sprites, vibrant colors, simple two button gameplay. Picked this one up for a song after getting back into building Gundam models w/ my kid.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
More Bloodborne

A bunch of Jamma stuff:

Bakraid
Feveron
Death Smiles
Pork
Rumble Fish 2

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Switch:

Bayonetta 3

Only a few hours in but enjoying it a lot so far. Glad the game actually came out as I gave up hope earlier this year tbqh

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Super Castlevania IV - first and second loop. I remember being a kid and wasting so much time taking in the backgrounds, music, and just flicking the whip. Now I just bulldoze through the game. Kinda sad to think about, innit
Spoiler:
IMG_20221101_155417.jpg

Haunted Castle - more in depth thoughts in my Castlevania thread I bumped. So many seemingly minor problems that should have been fixed. I kept coming back to it, crazy enough. Medusa has the best tits in the series here.

Ghouls n Ghosts - Genesis. Great, great port. Feet behind the grass, mao bless you AirRaid. Of course went through it again a second time! I love powering through enemies with the Psycho Cannon.
Spoiler:
IMG_20221101_154851.jpg

Ghouls n Ghosts - Arcade. After going through the Genesis game, I went through the arcade original as well. This is a perfect Video Game. The design here is impeccable. So many incredible choices the developer made here to create Perfection.
Spoiler:
IMG_20221101_154928.jpg

Ghosts n Goblins - Arcade. I have fond memories of the NES game, which some members trashed not too long ago. Fellas. This game is dogshit.

Happy Halloween, homies💀

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Genesis Mini 2

Shining Force CD
Super Street Fighter 2

Reactions: Syn

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
PS4
Bloodborne - we beat all the DLC and main game, including the real final boss. On to NG+ to platinum this bad boy.

Switch
Star Wars KOTOR - finally off of Taris and at Dantooine, now that the narrative is picking up I'm more interested.

Vewlix
Deathsmiles 1 and 2 PS4

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Castlevania: The Adventure - anyone who has played this might remember it as the slowest game they have ever played, with literally pixel-perfect platform jumping. Most people hate it, including me for a long time. But man, I dunno what it was, but I became engrossed with it. I played through five loops, with the last loop's difficulty being one hit kills. Despite all the problems, this game is Castlevania. The music is Castlevania. The physics are Castlevania. I like the mountains in stage 1. I like the platforming, which seemed unforgiving at first but I managed to nail after playing so long. I like the unique enemies and Konami's idea to use ropes instead of stairs to bypass the Game Boy's limitations. At four levels, it's short, but perfect for a car ride to Shoney's in 1989. The game had many problems, the biggest being slowdown and a harsh checkpoint system, but I actually like this game now, warts and all. The Easter egg secret rooms put a big dumb smile on my face, too.

The biggest surprise was seeing the credits: out of the small team, Nobuya Nakazato, Masato Maegawa, and NON worked on this game. Legends of the industry in one of their first games.
Spoiler:
IMG_20221113_102511.jpg

Spoiler:
IMG_20221113_102629.jpg

Spoiler:
IMG_20221113_102527.jpg

Castlevania The Adventure II: Belmont's Revenge - Konami knocked it out of the park. Every single thing wrong with the first game has been fixed. The slowdown is gone and the Belmont walks at a good speed. The checkpoints aren't harsh. The graphics have a big upgrade. The bosses are big, the designs are wild, one of them looks straight out of a Contra game. The music is unbelievable on the Game Boy. The only thing I wanted was a harder difficulty, but that's not much of an issue. Honestly, it's my favorite 8-bit Castlevania.
Spoiler:
IMG_20221113_102556.jpg

Castlevania Legends - released in 1997, long after the Game Boy's heyday. I always wanted it as a kid. Maybe most famous for Iga retconning it out of existence. Unfortunately the game is trash. It's obvious the talent from the previous team has long gone. The spritework is worse and looks amateur-ish. Music is bleh. Many times the levels don't make sense to me, where a screen doesn't feel like a continuation from the previous, it is as if the screens are randomly generated. This game just is flat out not good.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Live a Live
I’ve been playing chronologically and am in the middle of the penultimate story, though I think there’s at least one more after you finish all the ones available at the start.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Castlevania: The Adventure - anyone who has played this might remember it as the slowest game they have ever played, with literally pixel-perfect platform jumping. Most people hate it, including me for a long time. But man, I dunno what it was, but I became engrossed with it. I played through five loops, with the last loop's difficulty being one hit kills. Despite all the problems, this game is Castlevania. The music is Castlevania. The physics are Castlevania. I like the mountains in stage 1. I like the platforming, which seemed unforgiving at first but I managed to nail after playing so long. I like the unique enemies and Konami's idea to use ropes instead of stairs to bypass the Game Boy's limitations. At four levels, it's short, but perfect for a car ride to Shoney's in 1989. The game had many problems, the biggest being slowdown and a harsh checkpoint system, but I actually like this game now, warts and all. The Easter egg secret rooms put a big dumb smile on my face, too.

The biggest surprise was seeing the credits: out of the small team, Nobuya Nakazato, Masato Maegawa, and NON worked on this game. Legends of the industry in one of their first games.

Castlevania The Adventure II: Belmont's Revenge - Konami knocked it out of the park. Every single thing wrong with the first game has been fixed. The slowdown is gone and the Belmont walks at a good speed. The checkpoints aren't harsh. The graphics have a big upgrade. The bosses are big, the designs are wild, one of them looks straight out of a Contra game. The music is unbelievable on the Game Boy. The only thing I wanted was a harder difficulty, but that's not much of an issue. Honestly, it's my favorite 8-bit Castlevania.

Castlevania Legends - released in 1997, long after the Game Boy's heyday. I always wanted it as a kid. Maybe most famous for Iga retconning it out of existence. Unfortunately the game is trash. It's obvious the talent from the previous team has long gone. The spritework is worse and looks amateur-ish. Music is bleh. Many times the levels don't make sense to me, where a screen doesn't feel like a continuation from the previous, it is as if the screens are randomly generated. This game just is flat out not good.
Chinese switch has crappy graphics. :keke: