Weekly Roundup

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sonic 2 - good god when is the last time any of us played this? This is the first time I beat the game straight through. When I was a kid I would spend so much time exploring the levels, this time I just zipped through. Funny that the last boss requires you to be slow and patient. Had fun with this.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
PS4 - RE2 now finished both playthroughs, got B rank on both, kinda shitty. Now for Leon's 2nd one. This is pretty good, haven't played anything for six months or so and now I've been hooked.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Xbox One
Halo 2 - still holds up well, much better than the stiffness of Halo 1.

GBA
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - it's addicting, even though it's not the best FFT it's still enjoyable from a gameplay standpoint. Fuck the judge system though

SNES
Final Fantasy V - almost at the end of the first world, even though it takes a while its still fun to master jobs and break the game.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Xbox One
Halo 2 - still holds up well, much better than the stiffness of Halo 1.

GBA
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - it's addicting, even though it's not the best FFT it's still enjoyable from a gameplay standpoint. Fuck the judge system though

SNES
Final Fantasy V - almost at the end of the first world, even though it takes a while its still fun to master jobs and break the game.
Is V's story and characters any good?
Never hear anyone talk about them.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Is V's story and characters any good?
Never hear anyone talk about them.
Story? Not really but it has charm and is more light hearted. Characters? Super one note. Not much character depth.

V is much more well known for the job system and it's gameplay. It's really good and feels great to max out a job and just obliterate enemies.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Saturn

Shining Force III scenario 2 - Level grinding before the final battle.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
2/3 way through first Gears of War haven't played series since '13. I'm so fucking rusty, playing on hardcore I use could whip some ass on insane except Raam. I had to do the glitch (get him stuck on block). He honestly wouldn't be that bad on insane if not for the fucking Reavers that always ended up getting me after like switching ends of train so many times. U can run back and forth enough to do it but your luck will run out eventually. Doesn't matter to me though the game is still amazing imo.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Neo Breakout ‘Atari Re-Imagined’ on Atari 50-Switch.

This is more like it 👍. Super fun update to the classic. Battle Breakout game mode was a pleasant surprise.
Loving everything about this; fit, finish, revamped controls.

About the controls-
left thumb-stick moves paddle slow and steady. Right thumb-stick moves the paddle super quick. Being able to have this level of control is appreciated. They are intuitive, and the next best thing to a rotary controller.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
GBA Final Fantasy I

I got to the very end of this when it came out but ran out of MP and ethers right before the final boss and didn’t have enough HP to back track. I’m playing it again and have the first two crystals.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Genesis Mini II
Shining Force-cd,
all most done with book II i been just doing some grinding to leveling up the party before i reach the end.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
PC (Steam Deck): I'm playing Final Fantasy Pixel Remakes all in order. I'm just about to beat 4 and move onto 5. After I'm done I'll go back to finishing Octopath Traveler.

Also a lot of Guilty Gear Strive & Atari 50

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
GBA Final Fantasy I

I got to the very end of this when it came out but ran out of MP and ethers right before the final boss and didn’t have enough HP to back track. I’m playing it again and have the first two crystals.
I put this on my Steam Deck and have been playing it. It's such a good version of the game.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Xbox One
Halo ODST - i love the spinoff Halo games and their storylines, and the soundtrack in ODST in particular is phenomenal.

SNES
Final Fantasy V - earth crystal broke, on to go to world 2.

GBA
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - it's very easy for me to just get lost in doing random missions and sidequests. The only issue is I have no idea which missions are story related and which are side missions until i complete them.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Atari ST
Sim City - Dullsville is shaping up nicely, 80k+ people, now they've got a stadium.

Mega Drive
Atomic Robo Kid - Dunno how I could miss the game back then, it's awesome and quite challenging. Good graphics, controls are spot on.

The Adventures of Batman & Robin - This is a great looking game that plays like a dream, controls are super responsive and the variety of moves is awesome, it's very satisfying to plow through enemies and the bosses are just insane. Difficulty is up there, tho, to a point where it becomes frustrating to replay a level over and over again but it's worth it.

Mega CD
Lords of Thunder - The Mega CD version may not be as good as the PCE port but it's fun and has a great soundtrack.

Dreamcast
Dynamite Deka 2 - Just never gets old, love the game.

Zombie Revenge - People rarely talk about the game, probably because most don't like it but I think it's great, it was one of the first games I've played on the system. Good mindless fun.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Neo Breakout ‘Atari Re-Imagined’ on Atari 50-Switch.

This is more like it 👍. Super fun update to the classic. Battle Breakout game mode was a pleasant surprise.
Loving everything about this; fit, finish, revamped controls.

About the controls-
left thumb-stick moves paddle slow and steady. Right thumb-stick moves the paddle super quick. Being able to have this level of control is appreciated. They are intuitive, and the next best thing to a rotary controller.
Oh man Neo Breakout is cool! I was just playing it. You're right - the controls are cool.

I grew up with the 2600 and about 30 games we bought when they all went on major discount and you could pick them up for just a few dollars.

I'm really enjoying Atari 50. I love these crappy Jaguar games too - really hope some more companies do this style of retro collection.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Elden Ring- Think I'm around 45 hours. Got through Stormvale Castle in 2 sessions and fought Goddrick the Grafted a couple times, probably try and finish him and move on to a new area tonight. Finally starting to feel like my character build and weapon aren't underpowered. Very satisfying to actually be able to start doing some serious damage (at least for now lol).

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Genesis Mini II
Shining Force-cd,
all most done with book II i been just doing some grinding to leveling up the party before i reach the end.
When you get to book 3, a few battles in you'll see a well and search it. It will give you a ticket to the museum which is book 4. That book is all boss fights.

It's not working on the Mega SD so I bought a mini.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I thought you liked Rallysport 2 no?

Oh, I do! And VO:4orce, and Tekki, and all the cave ports, and Sega Rally REVO, and ___________ dozens more.

That was a dig @ Jon saying there are only two good games on the system.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
PC

Dead Space (Remake)
- Got through the first two chapters. I like a lot of what they've done mechanically and the game looks really nice but I still thought the original looked good on PC. Look forward to not having to do the fucking asteroid mini-game.

Patrick's Parabox - Little indie puzzler that came out last year. It's a great little game that makes my fucking head hurt. It's basically a block moving game (like the million of them that came out on the Gameboy back in the day) but it gets way more complicated (both mechanically and physics-wise) very quickly.

Under Night In-Birth EXE Late: Clr (UNICLR) - Quite possibly the stupidest name in a genre known for stupid names. I've played it on and off for years but have been trying to clear all of the combo/mission stuff for all characters lately and it's been particularly challenging. Not quite KoF XIII challenging but still fun.

Mr. Driller DrillLand - I've always loved Mr. Driller and it's great we finally got a port for Drill Land (which came out on the Gamecube, I think?). Trying to do 2000m on a couple of the modes is hella frustrating though.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
When you get to book 3, a few battles in you'll see a well and search it. It will give you a ticket to the museum which is book 4. That book is all boss fights.

It's not working on the Mega SD so I bought a mini.
I did find a ticket in a well in book 2.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Finished FF1 advance and now onto 2. I’ve tried 2 a few times and couldn’t get into it but I’m actually liking it this time.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
PS4
It Takes Two - a lot of fun with the wife, but the puzzles and visuals can be overwhelming to where we need breaks in between section's and boss fights. We played through the entirety of A Way Out in one sitting, but this one is a slower burn. Still great and immensely creative level and world designs.

GBA
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - i know this gets shit on for not being as good as PS1 tactics, and i can agree with that. But, the gameplay loop, job mastery, and overall species variety is addictive. Fuck judges though.