What a good antivirus/malware ?

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Can anyone recommend something easy and simple to use . the norton I got expired .

Also are those passwords keeper/ generator app has better security, then say the traditional password ?

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
May not always be the best product but check with your isp many of the more popular ones include free a/v as part of your subscription.

you can rock Windows built-in a/v as well, its not the worst thing anymore but there are better ones out there. There are some decent free ones out there like Avast but someone always has a horror story about “x” not catching this or cause me this problem.

Just try a trial version and see what you like.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I can also atest to Avast being pretty decent. It also doesn’t seem to be much of a CPU or memory hog. If you’re not picky and are using Windows 10, then Windows Defender works fine usually.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Windows defender is good enough nowadays imho.

Yes, use a reputable password manager if you can. Having unique passwords on every site you use gets you a lot of peace of mind as each of those places gets hacked over the years :/

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Common sense works really well and is even compatible with windows defender.

Came into the thread looking for the classic "Common Sense 2021" suggestion

I'll scan with Malwarebytes Free if I want some piece of mind occasionally but if you're conscious of what you're downloading and installing then Windows Defender is more than enough. Like @skate323k137 said, you should be more concerned about your passwords than your PC. I use KeePass + Dropbox to store my unique passwords per site on desktop and mobile

Oh, and back up your shit.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Oh yeah password management should've been the #1 tip hammered into every computer owner's brain. Password leaks happen way too often, and from "big" and "safe" websites too. Use the same 2 or 3 passwords for everything? You will eventually get fucked and have some guy from ukraine logging into the shit you have to do fun stuff with your account and data.

KeePass owns.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
So reason I was concerned, is that when I log into my bank , it’s Take me to change my password page ( it still the banks site and it has the secured lock on the address bar ) it’s have never done that before . So I logged out and try again, something happen . I scanned the computer with malwarebyte nothing came up. but I had to change the password before it allowed me to access my account .

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
So reason I was concerned, is that when I log into my bank , it’s Take me to change my password page ( it still the banks site and it has the secured lock on the address bar ) it’s have never done that before . So I logged out and try again, something happen . I scanned the computer with malwarebyte nothing came up. but I had to change the password before it allowed me to access my account .
If you're actually worried:

Change your email password

Ensure all other sessions are logged out of your email (most sites do this as an after effect of the password change)

Perform a password reset by going to your banks website and following their procedure.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I just use windows defender now. I always have enough ram but the least amount of crap running in the background, the better.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Thorough ad and tracker blocking is way more effective than any anti-virus at this point. Use two-factor authentication anywhere that provides it and unique passwords everywhere you go.

If you feel like you have to, Malwarebytes seems to be the least invasive.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I used to use Panda because it was free, and the free version wasn't crippled, but it still became bloatware.

Now, for the most part like most others I'll use Windows Defender, but thats about it.