What anime are you watching?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
thanks for the reminder. i've been waiting for this movie for ages.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
recently watched Euphoria.

that episode with the human centipede was fun!

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
FYI The Boy and the Beast started showing in select theaters in the U.S. yesterday.

http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/the-boy-and-the-beast/

This is actually showing at a theater up in Denver near me. I realllly want to go but it's a bit of a drive, so I'll probably just wait for the Blu-Ray release. Hosoda has been doing an amazing job in his films and I feel like he is really the spiritual successor of Hayao Miyazaki given what he has put out.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
This is actually showing at a theater up in Denver near me. I realllly want to go but it's a bit of a drive, so I'll probably just wait for the Blu-Ray release. Hosoda has been doing an amazing job in his films and I feel like he is really the spiritual successor of Hayao Miyazaki given what he has put out.

He's good, but I keep hearing the Miyazaki comparison and I really just don't see it

Still he's definitely a reliably quality director, kinda wish He'd stop making movies that Furies will flock to, just hearing my friends furry cousin talk about Wolf Children fucking ruined that movie for me

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Just started watching Usagi Drop, 2 episodes in. Usually not a fan of Josei anime but this one seems to have potential.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I've been watching Arslan: Warriors of Legend and it is fucking killer.

Also been watching Maayou Maou Yuusha, which is an interesting fantasy anime that flips the script. A bit sexed up but still a good watch, and only 12 eps.

Also watched both available episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam: Thunderbolt and really enjoyed them. Damn, but Bandai is treating UC Gundam with the majesty and respect it deserves.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Space Adventure Cobra Ova...again, it's awesome and I appreciate it a lot, the original anime is still my favorite ever.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Midnight Eye Goku... Kawajiri constantly manages to get under my skin. This one's short & brilliant.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I don't watch a whole lot of Anime but I recently finished Princess Jellyfish on Blu-ray and I really liked it. One of the main characters is also sort of a trans, or at least likes dressing like a woman, which could ResOnate ;) with some here.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Princess Jellyfish is super cute and endearing to me. All the characters are, well characters, which makes the whole thing just a fun little bundle of energy.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
i my self always considered hosoda to be a spiritual successor to miyazaki. the comparison between the two isn't much for a resemblance or style of movie making, but a similarity in quality and story telling. hosoda's movies are the only animated movies that are being made now that grip me on an emotional level with it's story and wow me with the animation just like the ghibli moves did.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
i my self always considered hosoda to be a spiritual successor to miyazaki. the comparison between the two isn't much for a resemblance or style of movie making, but a similarity in quality and story telling. hosoda's movies are the only animated movies that are being made now that grip me on an emotional level with it's story and wow me with the animation just like the ghibli moves did.

I can see that, they're definitely great movies, personally though the emotions don't hit as well as Miyazaki was able to do with his films, but I'll acknowledge they are similar in tone and themes

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
How is that? I've been meaning to check it out once I'm finished with the original GitS stuff but don't want to pull the trigger if it isn't any good

If your interested in the creation of Section 9 it's worth watching but the main story arc isn't that great.

On a unrelated note the Riding Bean kickstarter is up.

Also McDonalds of Japan has a new animated commercial.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

There's a few others: Makoto Shinkai (Children who Chase Lost Voices, 5 Centimeters Per Second), Colorful by Keichi Hara is also up there in production values and story quality.

I think Hosoda's works are very good ( I had an amusing exhange with him at a Summer Wars screening concerning Gatoman/Tailmon), so I sort of root for him as well.

But, I would say Children who Chase Lost Voices seems like the closest to a Miyazaki film in terms of theme and style.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
How is that? I've been meaning to check it out once I'm finished with the original GitS stuff but don't want to pull the trigger if it isn't any good

It's very good. A must for any GITS fan. While I haven't yet seen Pyrophoric Cult (the two Arise eps they made for TV), the Arise movie or Innocence, I don't think there's any animated GITS out there not worth watching.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
There's a few others: Makoto Shinkai (Children who Chase Lost Voices, 5 Centimeters Per Second), Colorful by Keichi Hara is also up there in production values and story quality.

I think Hosoda's works are very good ( I had an amusing exhange with him at a Summer Wars screening concerning Gatoman/Tailmon), so I sort of root for him as well.

But, I would say Children who Chase Lost Voices seems like the closest to a Miyazaki film in terms of theme and style.

to be honest, i thought that the children who chase voices was a rip off of miyazaki, so the resemblance is quite obvious. and the animation was kind of off. it just felt like a poor man's spirited away. not bad but can't be compared to ghibli in terms of quality imo.

and as for 5 centimetres per second, it has great animation and atmosphere, but it was just to lovey dovey for my taste.

i just stick with hosoda and myazaki to be safe :D. they never disappoint.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
to be honest, i thought that the children who chase voices was a rip off of miyazaki, so the resemblance is quite obvious. and the animation was kind of off. it just felt like a poor man's spirited away. not bad but can't be compared to ghibli in terms of quality imo.

and as for 5 centimetres per second, it has great animation and atmosphere, but it was just to lovey dovey for my taste.

i just stick with hosoda and myazaki to be safe :D. they never disappoint.

:( You should never be cautious when watching movies, you never know when something random amazes you.

I would recommend Colorful, its very different then most of whats out there. You might not like it, but every movie is a gamble.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
i'll give colourful a try. judging by the trailer, the animation isn't that great, but if everything else is solid, i might enjoy it.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
i'll give colourful a try. judging by the trailer, the animation isn't that great, but if everything else is solid, i might enjoy it.

Are you kidding? the animation for Colorful is beautiful, probably the best part of it, the story is good but if I were to get into my problems with it I'd probably spoil it