What anime are you watching?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Kurozuka (Madhouse, 2008). 12 episode TV series based on the novel/manga. Vampire guy Kuro is in search of his lost lover, Kuromitsu, throughout classical to future post-apocalyptic Japan. The Red Army is also after her, and to a lesser extent, him, to take and utilize their immortality-giving blood. The first 2 episodes are set in the past, which I preferred, the remaining 10 mostly in the dystopian future--I wish they'd shown more of the lovers' adventures in the hundreds of years between (we do get a brief WW2 sequence at least). Very violent and bloody battles. The plot is a bit confusing at first, but, everything makes sense by the end. Overall, I liked it.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Been catching up on Spy Family. It's weirdly wholesome without being cloying.

@M

20 Year Member
Ultraviolet: Code 044 (Madhouse, 2008, 12 episodes). This is actually based on the 2006 live action Mila Jovovich film, which I've never seen (I ordered it on Amazon yesterday though... I've heard it sucks, but, M likes shitty movies, so, it'll be fine.)

044 is the government's best agent and assassin, but, at 14, she was infected with a virus that enhances your abilities, at the cost of killing you after about 5 years, and, at 19, she doesn't have much time left. 004 then unexpectedly falls in love with a man that she was supposed to kill, wavers and cracks, and goes rogue. The series mostly focuses on the government attempting to recapture or kill her and 044 trying to find some purpose in what remains of her short life.

There are some interesting ideas here, but, the story isn't developed very well. Several episodes are "wasted" on her hiding out and working on a mining planet, which does little to advance the larger storyline, her first experience with love isn't explored enough (which is insulting, considering that she gave up everything for that man!), and the last episode is extremely rushed, trying to tie everything together and conclude things. The series is okay, but, far from great.

I also really like the opening theme, by Becca, who voices 044; the art direction really gives off strong Valis vibes for me.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wife and I watched the first season of Made in Abyss.

Not exactly where I thought it was going to go, but it's definitely intriguing.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I recently watched Angel Cop. Not bad, kinda what I expected overall. Running out of cyberpunk at this rate...

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Wife and I watched the first season of Made in Abyss.

Not exactly where I thought it was going to go, but it's definitely intriguing.
I watched the first season on Toonami. One of their few shows that held my interest ;)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I recently watched Angel Cop. Not bad, kinda what I expected overall. Running out of cyberpunk at this rate...
Goku Midnight Eye, Doomed Megaoplolis, Lily C.A.T. lots of stuff in the vein are currently free on Amazon Prime in the USA. Ymmv.

I’m watching Crusher Joe: The Movie today, and the OVAs later this weekend.

Love me some early 80’s Sunrise.

The movie especially awesome, for 1983.

@M

20 Year Member
"Viper's Creed" (originally aired in 2009, Sony, 12 episodes). This series is set in (of course) the post-apocalyptic future, and focuses on Viper Squad, a group of transforming motorcycle mecha drivers ("Blademen" piloting "Maneuver Blades"), who protect Fort Daiva City from terrorists, rogue Bug Mechs (leftover robots from the recent third World War), and other threats. Most of the planet is also now covered with water, due to global warming, thus, what little land remains is connected by long bridges which these agents patrol. An interesting aspect of this is that those highways also carry an electrical charge, but, you have to remain in physical contact with the surface to utilize it (the mecha power down after 30 seconds without said juice). I wasn't expecting much, but, it was surprisingly good.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Finally getting older Macross titles on Blu-ray in the U.S..

Macross Plus, Macross II Anime Offered Overseas on Blu-ray Disc

Bigwest and Anime Limited announced during Bigwest's Macross panel at Anime Expo on Friday that they will release the Macross Plus anime on Blu-ray Disc in the United States, Canada, and Europe. Bigwest also announced that AnimEigo will release The Super Dimension Fortress Macross II: Lovers, Again anime on Blu-ray Disc.

Right Stuf, Nozomi Ent. to Release Macross 7 on Home Video in N. America for 1st Time

Right Stuf and Nozomi Entertainment announced at their panel at Anime Expo on Saturday that they have licensed the Macross 7 anime, and will release it in two Blu-Ray Disc sets, with both a regular edition and a "collector's ultra edition" release with bonus content. This is the first time the anime has been licensed in North America since its 1994 premiere.

The first set will include the first 29 episodes plus the anime shorts, and the second set will include episodes 30-49 and Macross 7 Encore.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It doesn’t specifically say that the Macross 7 set includes Dynamite. It would be a shame if it were missing because it’s easily the best part of 7.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Finally getting older Macross titles on Blu-ray in the U.S..

Macross Plus, Macross II Anime Offered Overseas on Blu-ray Disc

Bigwest and Anime Limited announced during Bigwest's Macross panel at Anime Expo on Friday that they will release the Macross Plus anime on Blu-ray Disc in the United States, Canada, and Europe. Bigwest also announced that AnimEigo will release The Super Dimension Fortress Macross II: Lovers, Again anime on Blu-ray Disc.

Right Stuf, Nozomi Ent. to Release Macross 7 on Home Video in N. America for 1st Time

Right Stuf and Nozomi Entertainment announced at their panel at Anime Expo on Saturday that they have licensed the Macross 7 anime, and will release it in two Blu-Ray Disc sets, with both a regular edition and a "collector's ultra edition" release with bonus content. This is the first time the anime has been licensed in North America since its 1994 premiere.

The first set will include the first 29 episodes plus the anime shorts, and the second set will include episodes 30-49 and Macross 7 Encore.
I got the e-mail from rightstuf on that i'm still wondering if the original series and dyrl will get release here.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
For those interested, the Bastard!! anime adaptation has pretty much been panel for panel so far. Looks like the second half will drop on September 15th:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah I watched the first three episodes. Seems very accurate to the manga. The VA for Dark Schneider doesn't really do it for me but a lot of that I recognize is just 30 years of Kazuki Yao bias. As Netflix adaptations go, there's very little to complain about.

@M

20 Year Member
Transformers: Victory. Never even knew this existed until I recently bought a Liokaiser toy and researched what it was from. I only watched the first subtitled episode and wasn't overly impressed, but, then again, it's a kids' show with giant changing robots fighting each other, not Shakespeare. The ending credits song is comically bizarre with the brat Jan singing/strutting and asking the new Autobot commander if he eats more than he should and wets the bed like him, WTF?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Transformers: Victory. Never even knew this existed until I recently bought a Liokaiser toy and researched what it was from. I only watched the first subtitled episode and wasn't overly impressed, but, then again, it's a kids' show with giant changing robots fighting each other, not Shakespeare. The ending credits song is comically bizarre with the brat Jan singing/strutting and asking the new Autobot commander if he eats more than he should and wets the bed like him, WTF?
I love the Japan only TF shows. So wacky and original. The best is probably Masterforce.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I finished watching transformers victory recently as well i got it on dvd last year with the headmasters and super god masterforce.Out of the three,i enjoyed victory the most i guess because it reminds me of the super robot shows of the past.Now i wished i backed that crowd funding for that star saber toy that hasbro had last year.

@M

20 Year Member
I watched a couple more episodes of Victory, one English dubbed, which I didn't care for, and went back to subtitles. I was disappointed that the Autobots' space station was destroyed in episode 2 and they ended up back on Earth and the Decepticons followed and took up residence underwater...way to start out different and then go right back to the original show's status quo, guys!

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I love the Japan only TF shows. So wacky and original. The best is probably Masterforce.
IMG_2646.JPG

I don't want to sound like some kind of Transformers superfan or anything, but I would mortgage my house to own this cel.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro! (The 2014 TV, not the 1990 OVA) is on Pluto TV on demand.

Always good for a chuckle.

@M

20 Year Member
Watched some more Victory episodes. The largely inept Decepticon Dino Force (especially the Triceratops, who fucks everything up, usually while singing the end credits song) are good comedy relief and Leozack is a fine Starscream 2.0, but, other than the first episode, Deszaras doesn't seem to do much of anything but sit on his ass, back at base, giving orders/criticsm, he's not filling Megatron's boots very well so far. The new Autobots sure don't have much personality either, other than Star Saber & Holi. I think I might watch the whole series.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Tried watching Belle, did not like it for multiple reasons I won't get into too deeply. Suffice to say it's trite and not engaging enough to keep from noticing how dumb and nonsensical it is. There is some amazing art in it though. Not the metaverse shit but all the real world stuff is absolutely gorgeous. Also HBO doesn't have a goddamn option for Japanese w/subs.