What anime are you watching?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Watched another episode of Headmasters and the highlight was Soundwave and Blaster's slugfest that ended in both of their deaths. Blaster hit Soundwave so hard at one point that one of his arms came right off, but, my Destron boy continued throwing down without it anyway. Even Galvatron was upset Soundwave died, unusual for a Decepticon commander, usually they could care less about their troops' welfare. Soundwave's cassette critters flew off with his decapitated head and other pieces, so, I presume he'll be back in some form in a later episode.

Jacen

Rugal's Thug
Finished Edgerunners. Again, it is fucking awesome all the way through. It's really refreshing to see a modern anime that knows exactly who it's audience is and it does not give a shit if that's not you. It looks fantastic (aside from a couple of more ambitious shots where they used some jank 3D) and is very stylish without coming off as unnecessary or ostentatious. It also becomes slowly more stylish the further it goes to match what's happening story and character wise. The soundtrack is also great, I don't know if Akira Yamaoka just did the actual score or if he also selected the rest of the tracks but it fits perfectly.

I was also really surprised by how original it still managed to be given just how many things it is comprised of. There's everything from Aeon Flux and The Fast and Furious to Project A-ko and Ninja Scroll and it manages to pull it off completely, it never feels like they are doing it just to make a reference. It also manages to avoid almost every single horrible anime trope of the last 20 years. It's honestly a miracle that it turned out so good considering that it's Netflix and based on a video game. Studio Trigger really knocked it out of the park.
I'm halfway through edge runners, I'm getting a big time cowboy bebop vibe from this show, its awesome. Though like Spike Spiegel, i can already imagine the ending David is going to have, its like he's doomed or something.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I'm halfway through edge runners, I'm getting a big time cowboy bebop vibe from this show, its awesome. Though like Spike Spiegel, i can already imagine the ending David is going to have, its like he's doomed or something.
Let's just say there is a lot of foreshadowing in that show.

@M

20 Year Member
Watched some more Headmasters. Soundwave & Blaster didn't stay dead for long and are already back in action, but Soundwave is Soundblaster now, and Blaster is blue (further driving home the fact that he's a second-rate Soundwave wannabe) and renamed Twincast. Optimus Prime died, again (rolls eyes), the Matrix was restored and Hot Rod became Rodimus Prime, again (rolls eyes harder). The episodes have been pretty mediocre so far, but, I am VERY excited for the next one though: Battle Beasts!!!

Galvatron sums things up pretty well, before getting thrown into a wall:Screenshot_20220927-153127~2.pngScreenshot_20220927-153317~2.png

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Watched some more Headmasters. Soundwave & Blaster didn't stay dead for long and are already back in action, but Soundwave is Soundblaster now, and Blaster is blue (further driving home the fact that he's a second-rate Soundwave wannabe) and renamed Twincast. Optimus Prime died, again (rolls eyes), the Matrix was restored and Hot Rod became Rodimus Prime, again (rolls eyes harder). The episodes have been pretty mediocre so far, but, I am VERY excited for the next one though: Battle Beasts!!!

Galvatron sums things up pretty well, before getting thrown into a wall:LOL:
Season three galvatron insane but in the headmasters he's just a goofball just wait and see later on how he's defeated it's a wtf moment.

@M

20 Year Member
I rather like it when the Decepticons, Cobra Commander, Skeletor, Shredder, etc. are just inept goofballs, it makes them more lovable and entertaining to me. In Victory, I didn't like when Deathsaurus suddenly became competent towards the end and started nuking populated human cities and the Autobots couldn't do anything under the threat of him annihilating more if they interfered with Decepticon energy thefts--that's too hardcore for a kid's cartoon.

I should go back and watch all of Transformers G1 again when I'm done with the Japanese sequels.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I rather like it when the Decepticons, Cobra Commander, Skeletor, Shredder, etc. are just inept goofballs, it makes them more lovable and entertaining to me. In Victory, I didn't like when Deathsaurus suddenly became competent towards the end and started nuking populated human cities and the Autobots couldn't do anything under the threat of him annihilating more if they interfered with Decepticon energy thefts--that's too hardcore for a kid's cartoon.

I should go back and watch all of Transformers G1 again when I'm done with the Japanese sequels.

I think I agree. I think the Japanese market agreed too. Deathsaurus sold poorly and in the final days of the toy line they eliminated Decepticons completely, more or less.

If you like all this wacky Japanese stuff the TV Magazine manga is essential, IMO. Amazingly this was released in English not too long ago, in hardback even, with terrific art sections.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I thought I finished attack on titan but it seems there's a part 3 to the final season coming.. sheesh. I've been getting stuck into Vinland Saga lately which is kinda cool.

Is the newer Golgo 13 any good?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Shenmue the Animation and Blade Runner: Black Lotus canceled.

Blade Runner was about as generic and bland as it gets but I rather liked Shenmue. Bummed it's not going to continue but that's pretty on brand for the franchise.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
We'll see how Housing Complex C fares (another Toonami collaboration) this upcoming Saturday night.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’m simply not into anime produced by western money. MD Geist II, FLCL II, live action Ghost in the Shell…nonsense. Sequels of stuff mall kids liked too much.

And anyone who wants Bladerunner in their anime and anime in their Bladerunner should watch…almost any 80s anime but particularly Bubblegum Crisis.

My most recent watch was Gauche the Cellist (1982), a stone cold masterwork. Two guys, six years, home run. This is the passion now gone in anime.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Amazon Prime in Japan is really starting to push rentals. They're clogging up the home screen when I'm trying to find something to stream. I'm already paying for prime, you d-bags. I'm not going to pay to rent something to watch on a service I'm already paying for.

But anyway, one of the ways they're trying to push rentals is by letting you stream the first episode of something, figuring you'll then cave and pay for the rest. And I saw a couple '80s cartoons I wouldn't mind watching (the first episode of). Tomino's L-Gaim, and the kind of Tomino-adjacent Vifam. Who knows if I'll ever actually get around to watching them, though.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Vampire Hunter D- First time watching this since the VHS days and it's mostly held up. The little brother is annoying as fuck as most children in adult anime are and the animation suffers in certain spots due to budgetary constraints. The character designs, monsters, action and atmosphere are all pretty good though. I picked up a used blu-ray on the cheap and they did a nice job remastering it, really clean looking. I think it definitely deserves it's status as a classic of the era along side stuff like Ninja Scroll and FOTNS.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

More mall kid anime endlessly rebooted by gaijin money.

We’re back to the Mighty Orbots business model, somehow.

Oh well. If things keep going this way at least we’ll eventually get that final season of Superbook we’ve been waiting like 40 years for. :D

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I can't stand this cgi anime shit. If you're gonna do a new Trigun which honestly I didn't think needed another season, you may as well do Outlaw Star next.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I finished EdgeRunners based on some recommednations. A little over the top at times, but it's brought a lot of people back to Cyperpunk which is a good thing IMO.

Spoiler:
I have no idea why Lucy wouldn't rejoin or say what she was up to in the final episodes. Maybe I tuned out, but what was she working on where she let boy toy run himself insane?

I've been watching various AnimeRecaps on YT, and they are amazing. You get to see if something is any good fairly quickly, and skip all the filler nonsense.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
The Gundam channel uploaded Gundam 08th MS Team series to Youtube.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’ve just finished Edge Runners and I’m really impressed with it on the whole. They did a bit of a Game of Thrones with the amount of characters they killed (I’ll not say what ones) but I really liked the whole vibe of the series and sense of futile resistance against the ‘man’. It’s just such a cool world they’ve built in those 10 episodes.

After Castlevania as well, how are Netflix getting these video game to Anime conversations so right?

Anything else anime series wise on Netflix apart from Castlevania and Edgerunner I should give a watch?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Watched the first few episodes of Chainsaw Man. Pretty good. Also the first 5 episodes of Witch From Mercury, which so far plays like a 1990s girls comic with some robots thrown in. Probably wouldn't watch it if there was a better selection of new movies being streamed. I read someone describe it as a critique of capitalism, but so far, that just seems like the reviewer's wishful thinking and projection.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Chainsaw Man does seem like the right kind of ridiculous thus far (although the amount of CG is distracting/irritating at times).