What anime are you watching?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I tried watching the Evangelion movies on Prime, but gave up midway, just like I gave up midway on the comic 20 years ago, and gave up midway on the tv show a few years before that. I just can't get into a story where every single character is a boring piece of shit. The robot design is cool and whatever, but that can only carry things so far.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I only watched an Evangelion anime once, don't remember what, and quit halfway through. Super boring.

I stopped Headmasters too, just lost interest. The last episode I watched, Galvatron & Rodimus were wresting on the ground, Cyclonus picked up a rock to bludgeon Rodimus with, but, couldn't get a clear shot, so, Scourge held Rodimus' legs to try to help, and Cyclonus still managed to hit Galvatron with the rock anyway and ran away screaming, "I don't know anything about it!" I used to hate Cyclonus, but, turning him into a Three Stooges caliber incompetent idiot makes me love him, and I've never felt sorrier for Galvatron in my life. It seems glamorous, but, I submit that being the Decepticon's commander is one of the worst jobs imaginable.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yeah, Headmasters is maybe the hardest (classic) TF to watch. I finished it the first time but I get bored when I try to go through it again. I also think I’d fail any but the easiest pop quiz about what happens in the show. It’s like listening to Ben Stein teach me about voodoo economics. Too boring to remember.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Im a fan of the mecha themselves but not the series. The story is all over the place, and in the original series they ran out of money and made the last 2 episodes some stupid inner monologue with random images flashing. Ive watched the other End of Evangelion movies, and whatever else came out and they were just as unimpressive. I watched the remakes, and didn't mind the first movie. The second was ok, and the third from what I remember is literally all talk from the control center where they just constantly scream stuff like "weapon charge to full, Legs ready to go, I just took a shit! The janitor is on his way, bringing the new mop we got him! Eva sync process 99 percent" but its all screamed over each other.

It was the dumbest shit ever. It sucks to say but the original show is better, and it was boring af.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I watched evangelion when I was about 12, I would rent the tapes at blockbuster. I`ll never forget having rented the last two tapes and watching them alone in the dark. I thought my VCR messed up when the eva was holding Kaoru. Then his head plopped off and I changed tapes and the last two eps left me shocked and confused. I didn`t see any of the other movies till my late 20s. I binged watch the series as an adult and then watched the two movies and It was alright. I agree with Sage, you gotta be young to enjoy the show.

I am watching Chainsawman now and I recommend it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I watched the first (3? 6?) episodes of Gunbuster a couple years ago and it was great. I still need to watch the second set of episodes, and I think there's a movie?

I got Genocyber a LONG time ago when I was a kid on VHS, and naturally it only had one episode. I looked it up recently and downloaded all the eps, but so far have only watched the first one. Pretty cool, we'll see how it goes.

Still need to get into Area 88, only ever saw the first ep on VHS years ago.

edit: Oh and Dangaioh and Project Ako. Ako is goofy, but kinda fun.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I am watching Chainsawman now and I recommend it.
Yeah, I'm liking this more each episode. Are they releasing it weekly there? I keep thinking I'm going to jump over to the comic and just read that, because I hate waiting 7 days for an episode like it's the fucking 1990s again or something.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Yeah, I'm liking this more each episode. Are they releasing it weekly there? I keep thinking I'm going to jump over to the comic and just read that, because I hate waiting 7 days for an episode like it's the fucking 1990s again or something.
Yeah its weekly, every Tuesday. I enjoy the weekly shit, the 90s was a good time :LOL:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I watched the first (3? 6?) episodes of Gunbuster a couple years ago and it was great. I still need to watch the second set of episodes, and I think there's a movie?

I got Genocyber a LONG time ago when I was a kid on VHS, and naturally it only had one episode. I looked it up recently and downloaded all the eps, but so far have only watched the first one. Pretty cool, we'll see how it goes.

Still need to get into Area 88, only ever saw the first ep on VHS years ago.

edit: Oh and Dangaioh and Project Ako. Ako is goofy, but kinda fun.
Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Riding Bean, and Project A-Ko are some of the first animes I remember watching.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Riding Bean, and Project A-Ko are some of the first animes I remember watching.
Same, I remember I'd rent a tape once a week, it was a mom and pop place before it turned into a Blockbuster, they had stuff like that, ADTank Police, Patlabor, Bubblegum Crisis (still one of my faves).

I first saw Vamp-D on the Sci-Fi channel when they had a block called "Adventures in Japanese Animation" or something on Saturday or Friday nights.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Nah bro. Think of it as something to look forward to.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm gonna forget that some of you are evangelion haters but then again I was 13 when I watched it and it dug in deep. EoE I thought was a great fuck you send off. The rebuilds are O.K. I haven't seen the final film yet but 3.0 was underwhelming, 2.0 would have to be the best out of the first three and 1.0 may as well not exist.

I'm not usually one to support the beating of a dead horse but I'm glad they did the new films.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Over the last couple years I watched all the Jo Jo Bizarre Adventure eps on netflix, including the stuff that just came out this month. Some of it was pretty good, the idea of fights as puzzles as opposed to DBZ style "get even stronger, and then get even stronger after that" makes it more interesting. I was only really interested in it initially because I played the Jo Jo CPS3 game a lot around 1999 and was just confused about what the actual story of the manga/anime was.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
City Hunter the ‘87 run.
198x Nippon Sunrise really scratches the itch. Love the colors, line work, music, and voice actors.
Most likely will do Dirty Pair or War in the Pocket next; either way, I’m sticking w/ Sunrise for a bit.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
War in the Pocket is great. The Blu-ray upgrade made it all new again. The backgrounds are so nice and there are certain subtleties of the show that will always remind me of peak mecha fandom, the garage kit boom, and the last era of a Sunrise not owned by Bandai. A time when “anime fandom” was a much less cringe-worthy concept.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
^Quality post right there. I don’t know why people give you so much shit.

I got hip to War in the Pocket at the 1989 San Diego Comic Con.

Exchange students and nisei from my middle school and high schools (1987-1989) buttressed my baby knowledge, gleaned from renting Japanese Beta tapes (no subs!) from Comic Castle a couple of years prior.

I’ll always feel lucky to be as old as I was, at the time that the General Products/Viz/US Renditions was jumping off in the US…and to have lived in Japan before that.

It was lightening in a bottle for a couple of years.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Weeks ago i finished,jo jo bizarre adventure star ocean and no wonder fans either like it's ending or just out right hate it.Currently i been watching super dimension century orguss again i bought the discotek dvd release of years ago. Only now i wanted to watch the series again.

It did get release on bluray but i'm fine with the dvd release.Still shows under the super dimension century title macross is my most favorite one.

Last edited: