What anime are you watching?

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Started back up on Lodes War OVA since I've had the blu ray for like forever, really wish I had stuck with this when I was a kid. Also wrapping up Chainsaw Man and the Nier Automata adaption.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Millennium Actress- Well he didn't get to make a lot of stuff unfortunately but what he did is pretty great. This is probably Satoshi Kon's least talked about movie which is a shame because it's fantastic. The love story is all fine and dandy but the journey through Japanese cinema history and the surreal scene transitions are the real stars, as is the blending of real life and the roles that the main character played. Just some incredibly inventive stuff. It's not perfect, the score is a bit weak and it's exceptionally schmaltzy but those are minor gripes. I liked this much better than Tokyo Godfathers, which is his only other comparable work. It really is a shame he passed so early because everything he did was so unique and the possibilities of what he could have created were immense.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’m still on my City Hunter revisit. Just so good. I’m watching it in chronological order; Crunchyroll has all 4 TV shows, the OVAs, and the movies.

Great time capsule of the 80s and 90s.

Yeah, the lecherous moments wouldn’t fly today; however, this property isn’t a one-trick pony.

The storytelling and direction are strong, the music is top shelf, the voice acting (subbed anyhow-I can’t speak to the quality of the dub) is perfect, and the art direction/animation puts the viewer firmly in Ryo & company’s world.

Absolute GrandSlam from Sunrise.

neo.kobe.city

NEST Puppet
Just finished re-watching GTO a few days ago since it's been a few years. Before that, I finished Hi Score Girl and Chainsaw Man.
I’m still on my City Hunter revisit. Just so good.
I've been wanting to give that a go, definitely adding it to the list.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Haven't been watching much but I did start reading Hajime No Ippo and it's amazing so far. I'm 100 chapters in so far.
b97c8baf-d373-4798-bfa4-7f09e35d893d.jpeg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Been going through the original Record of Lodoss War OVA. It's pretty awesome, nice production quality, good action and pacing. A little generic as far as fantasy stuff goes but that's all right. I actually didn't know too much about the series and was mainly familiar with it from some of the second series that I had on VHS and a couple of video games. I didn't know it was originally a D&D campaign that was summarized and published in a Japanese magazine which was popular enough to be adapted in novels and eventually an anime. Kind of cool and that explains a lot of the series distinctly western characteristics. Good stuff.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You guys ever watch Slam Dunk? It has always been popular among anime watchers here for some reason. A movie of it was just released here too.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
You guys ever watch Slam Dunk? It has always been popular among anime watchers here for some reason. A movie of it was just released here too.
I read the comic a little back in the '90s, but only because it was in a magazine I was buying anyway. Are you able to get a sense at all of how people in China are able to reconcile hating Japanese people so much, while at the same time liking fictional Japanese people so much in comics and cartoons?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I read the comic a little back in the '90s, but only because it was in a magazine I was buying anyway. Are you able to get a sense at all of how people in China are able to reconcile hating Japanese people so much, while at the same time liking fictional Japanese people so much in comics and cartoons?
Cognitive dissonance. I don't even want to talk about it, it disgusts me. Video went viral a few days ago of little kids on some old cannon saying they want to blow up little Japan. It's all they know, man. Let me smoke my opium in peace.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Lupin the Third: Mystery of Mamao- This is more in-line with the comics what with Lupin being a bit more of a selfish, super horny dickhead than a lot of the later Lupin stuff. I mean 10 minutes into it the badguys gun down an entire crowd of bystanders trying to get Lupin and he gives zero shits. There's plenty of random ridiculous gadgets, chase scenes, Fujiko is naked quite a bit and there's a nice chaotic feel to everything. The art quality is all over the place but it has some really nice and creative shots that standout. Some incredibly detailed cars, motorcycles and gadgetry. All with a very swinging 60s vibe that makes up for any of it's visual short comings. The soundtrack by Yuji Ohno is excellent but sometimes the music seems out of place. Overall it was highly enjoyable.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
That looks like an interesting cover. Ive never watched anime much, especially as an adult, but I saw something once called kino's journey and that was interesting

1683718835724.png

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Finally watched Robot Carnival. I didn't love every segment but they were all interesting in their own way. I think my favorite segment was the one with the wooden Japanese mech vs. the crazy westerner. Though I accidentally watched it dubbed and it was really weird to hear the english voice actors do asian accents, more than a bit dated lol. The animation quality ranged from clunky but passable to incredible. It was definitely worth a watch and it's clear to see it had a lot of influence.

Teluin

New Challenger
Re-watched Demon Slayer entertainment district, now considering giving Jutsu Kaizen a 2nd chance.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I recently watched the first ten minutes of the new (first) US Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Blu-ray…

It’s uh…kinda one of those nightmare stories of bad BRs. It’s not Predator 1.0 or anything but lord all mighty it is mediocre. I’d suspect that this is based on an HD master made for the second wave DVD era. Motion is really bad. Color is poor. Jitter correction is zero. Resolution terrible. I guess I’m glad it was cheap. Have you seen those amazing HD version of ZZ Gundam, Angel’s Egg, Project A-Ko, etc? This isn’t that.

There is an all-new 5.1 dub for mall ota retards…so lap that up guys. If anyone has the LD box and and a decent SD home theater setup though I recommend you save the $25.

VERDICT: clearly there is a 4K JP release out here or soon, so look for that, I guess. While better than absolutely nothing…This thing sucks. :(

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Been watching Jojo for the last couple weeks before I go to bed. I'm up to the fight with Vanilla Ice.

I had seen a handful of episodes and read a few chapters of the manga over the years but this is the first time I've ever properly sat down and really watched it. It's certainly interesting and definitely creative. It's cliche as fuck and straight up bonkers but it's also self aware which makes it all work. It's interesting to watch it evolve the first couple story arc before stands are introduced were very strange and now with Stardust Crusaders it's changed quite a bit just over this arc. It's gotten a lot more comedic which I like. Some really nice production value as well.

So far Joseph is has been my favorite character. Him yelling "Oh my god!" never gets old.