What are some good DOS-Windows '95 era PC games?

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I snagged an old computer from work the other day. Its an old Gateway from the mid 90's.

I didn't really get to play many PC games from the early-mid 90's (consoles were cheaper, so that's what I had growing up), so I figured this would be a great way to finally play all those old PC games I missed out on. What games do you guys reccamend?

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Doom 1/2
Quake 1
Duke Nukem 1/2/3D
Road Rash
US Navy Fighters
Rebel Assault II
All of the SCUMM games
Jedi Knight

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
Red Alert
Journeyman Project: Turbo (LOL)
Kings Quest
The first Warcraft

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter
Diablo II
Red Faction (May be a little new)
SimCity 2000
Worms World Party (Again, may be a little too new. Try Armageddon if WP runs slow.)
Blood
Heretic/Hexen and Strife
Raptor and Demonstar
Hocus Pocus
All of the Terminator FPS games
Megarace 1 and 2

I was a huge PC game addict back then.

Last edited:

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Rise of the Triad
Lo Wang: Shadow Warrior
Doom 1/2
Quake
Heretic
Hexen
Duke Nukem 3D
Warcraft II Tides of Chaos

Various Doom Mods:
Alien Doom

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
i'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet since it was actually fun.

"Phantasmagoria". an early type of puzzle/survial horror game. bloody thing had like 9 cd's to.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Tyrian was awesome, even if I didn't own the whole game I used to play that all the time on my old Acer.
Jazz Jackrabbit was another timewaster...

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Ok, if you like PC adventure games, then Grim Fandango is an absolute MUST! Its fucking hilarious. I actually just found out about it maybe a year ago or so. Its my friends favorite game and he had tripples or quadruples of it so he gave me a copy for Christmas. Totally A+.

My favorites from that era however would have to be:
Duke Nukem 3D
Command and Conquer: Red Alert
and Diablo

Other titles I played quite a bit were Grand Theft Auto, Quake 2, and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. Oh yeah, Mech Warrior 2 is good as well, but controlling those suckers was a chore, these days I'd take Mech Assault on Xbox and never look back.

While I can't play any of those games anymore, if I could I would imagine if I could that the majority of them have aged very well while GTA looks like a dated piece of crap. Mech Warrior 2 I couldn't see myself getting into again in 2007 either.

Also worth noting:
Ultima Online (probably dead by now)
King's Quest V (timeless classic)
Sam & Max (I think that may be earlier than win95 though)
Doom (of course)
Rise of the Triad (silly wolf3d knock off with outrageous weapons)

It should be noted that that era of PC gaming was really the last time I was really interested in PC games. Personally, I felt like releases after that were just really boring and mostly just rehashed the same concepts from the mid 90's. Actually I think a lot of my lost interest in new releases had to do with the rise of 16 bit emulation that came shortly after. Why bother looking for new games to play when I can play Final Fantasy V and Secret of Mana 2 in ENGLISH!!!!!! I remember playing ffv even before snes emulation was at full speed...ah the good old days.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Oh man, I just remembered that Are you Afraid of the Dark? game where a magician kidnapped your sister or something. Scary shit when that mummy chased you.

Also, Full Throttle.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
alec said:
Ok, if you like PC adventure games, then Grim Fandango is an absolute MUST! Its fucking hilarious. I actually just found out about it maybe a year ago or so. Its my friends favorite game and he had tripples or quadruples of it so he gave me a copy for Christmas. Totally A+..

Its so true i got mine new for $5.00 Another good game is the quest for glory games. and Super streetfighter 2 turbo is great on pc.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Perhaps a little bit older, but Populous and PowerMonger were both awesome!

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Tyrian was awesome, even if I didn't own the whole game I used to play that all the time on my old Acer.
Jazz Jackrabbit was another timewaster...
We should play Jazz2 online sometime.

S1nn3r

n00b
UO is still very much alive and the client is getting a graphics overhaul later this year.

alec said:
Also worth noting:
Ultima Online (probably dead by now)

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
Old school Wing Commander and Strike Commander

Dark Forces

All of the old school Sierra/Lucas games, but some of the earlier ones are better on the Amiga & Atari ST. So, Space/King/Police Quests, Larry, The Indy adventures, etc. But most of these (80%) are playable thru ScummVM now.....

Someone mentioned X-Com/UFO, Pirates Gold, and the 7th Guest....

Also Master of Orion, Transport Tycoon, early D&D games like the Eye of the Beholder series....

It all depends on your tastes, and patience as well. There are a lot of gems out there to be uncovered

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
norton9478 said:
What about Myst and teh Seventh GUest?

the 7th guest was great. really scary playing it as a kid though. :crying:

i never really got to try the 11th hour.

i love the kings quest games, 5 and 6 are great.

the commander keen series is awesome as well.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
haha sorry but all this thread makes me think of is The Oregon Trail. how kick ass was that game. buy 30 oxen and finish the game in 5 minutes.