What are the differences between Street Fighter Alpha 2 960430 and 960306

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I have a JPN Street Fighter Zero 2 with Infinikey that I just turned into a US Street Fighter Alpha 2 960306 and was wondering what were
the differnces between 960430 and 960306 US versions ?
Any help would be appreciated.
BB

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I don’t know what those numbers are but, IIRC the “final” version of this game is Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha. After the game debuted in Japan (Zero 2) it came to the US (Alpha 2) and gained Evil Ryu. Then it went back to Japan and was release as Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha which included Evil Ryu as well as a new ending for him, Dramatic Battle mode, and multiple gameplay tweaks such as nerfing Chun Li’s axe kick, adding Guy’s super throw, changing the button command for Original Combos, and a few other things.

I have a orange (Mexico) PCB of Zero 2 Alpha so it was for sure sold outside of Japan but the final Japanese one may be the only version with an ending for Evil Ryu.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Don't know either. Im assuming it was a later release of the same game. Not necessarily a revision. Sometimes you'll see in Mame a game that is from the same region but has a different number.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
thanks for the input..from what I understand is that the U.S. versions of street fighter alpha 2 were improved upon over the street fighter zero 2 versions by CAPCOM adding secret characters of Evil Ryu,a stronger AKUMA and hyper versions of ZANGIEF ,CHUN LI AND DHALSIM then I guess owners of street fighter zero 2 were upset about the U.S. VERSIONS ONLY HAVING THE UPDATE WITH SECRET CHARACTERS added so CAPCOM went back and released street fighter zero 2 alpha to them with the secret characters of US street fighter alpha 2 PLUS additional secret characters like M BISON and maybe another,in addition,they tweaked the gameplay which it appears people were not too happy about making the U.S. STREET FIGHTER alpha 2 still the superior version.
I was wondering about the codes and any differences so I may burn a version of the 960430 and find out before I sell it.
Off topic a little but GUY's stage is SO BAD ASS.I just can't help being amazed how much detail was put into it...
RAZO I should be paying you later today.I was kinda trying to pay everybody in order of requests but one guy is not responding.
BB

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I don’t know what those numbers are but, IIRC the “final” version of this game is Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha. After the game debuted in Japan (Zero 2) it came to the US (Alpha 2) and gained Evil Ryu. Then it went back to Japan and was release as Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha which included Evil Ryu as well as a new ending for him, Dramatic Battle mode, and multiple gameplay tweaks such as nerfing Chun Li’s axe kick, adding Guy’s super throw, changing the button command for Original Combos, and a few other things.

I have a orange (Mexico) PCB of Zero 2 Alpha so it was for sure sold outside of Japan but the final Japanese one may be the only version with an ending for Evil Ryu.
The numbers are the date of the rom revision I.e. 960406 would be 04/06/1996

it’s just a date code for rom revisions.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
This is a very good question and you probably won't find an answer. Best way would be to look at the code and spot the differences. For some games they might have just changed the revision code for the hell of it when sending it out back in the day.

On some games they usually fixed glitches or tweaked movesets/engine. Like X-men vs Street Fighter. There are three US revisions, each one removing different infinites. The last revision is the one that got ported to the Saturn and iirc allows you to select more than 2 colors. X-men Children of the Atom has differences in attract modes on version 1-3 along with cutscene differences. Also different infinites but most people have/will play version 3.0.

Vampire hunter also has two revisions

Version Differences​

1995/03/02: Initial Japan version (Japan tourney and DCC viable version, also used in Darkstalkers Resurrection)

1995/03/16: Final Japan Revision (All other versions including later World reigon verisons are based on this version)

Bugs and Glitches​

1995/03/02 only:

Bishamon's ES Kirisute Gomen doesn't use up any meter

Gallon's ES wild circular will use up all levels of meter

Felicia's ES hell cat will use up all levels of meter

Aulbath's ES Crystal Lanser will use up all levels of meter

Aulbath's ES Sky Neptune will use up all levels of meter

Pyron's ES Planet Burning will use up all levels of meter

Phobos/Huizil jumping MP knocks down grounded opponents.

Even Super Street fighter II grand master challenge X, Street fighter Alpha 3, Vampire Savior, and even beat em ups have different revisions in the same region. Not much has been documented on these either due to there being no difference, rare bug fixes, or no one gives a shit. I would lean towards no one gives a shit and no significant difference (even coming from a competitive standpoint).

Last edited: