What Are Your Favorite Unibios Features?

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
What Are Your Favorite Unibios Features?

I'll be receiving my Unibios soon and I'm curious to find how you guys like to set it up for your own preferences.

I'm guessing the number one answer will be the ability to change Regions.

I also know you can change some games like Ghost Pilot to use auto fire. So you can lose by failing with your twitch reflex instead of failing due to fatigue. I think it's a great feature but it's too bad that you can't (I think) use this feature on shooters that allow you to power-up your shot by holding the fire button; games like Last Resort and Blazing Star. Could you beat these games with out your Powered Up shot?

Is there a way to setup your Unibios so that every game is in English and nothing from any game is censored? I've read that Euro have censored some things that the US did not and vice versa. Is this right?

How does the Unibios save High Scores? Does it rely on the motherboard battery to keep these High Scores?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
1UP invincibility/

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
High Scores can only be saved using a memory card.
wrong. High scores are (no matter if UniBIOS or stock) saved in the Backup RAM, right alongside your (Uni)BIOS settings. This only works if the battery on your board works. You can backup your high scores to memory card with the newer revisions of the UniBIOS though.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
You're probably right. I guess that's how it works when you copy data from one card to another. I was just informing OP that you need a memory card since he didn't mention one, but that's pretty obvious ;)

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
all of them. and the fact that it exists.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Switching to console mode on MVS is nice for playing fighting games 1v1

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
You can change things like censored items in the soft dip settings.

I love the cheats and region changing, especially changing Prehistoric Isle 2 to home and playing in that setting.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
One thing that I really like is being able to set the MVS board in AES mode, then still be able to credit feed if I so desire by setting unlimited credits in the cheat menu.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
You're probably right. I guess that's how it works when you copy data from one card to another. I was just informing OP that you need a memory card since he didn't mention one, but that's pretty obvious ;)
[EDIT: If you have an MVS board] you don't need a memory card to have your highscores saved at all. There are a couple of board revisions (esp. 1 slots) without a memory card reader, they still save the highscores - in the battery powered backup ram (along with the date/time/plays etc.). [But if you have a homeconsole your original statement is correct (I belive).]

Also this:
all of them. and the fact that it exists.
RAZ is king.

Last edited:
I play my CMVS MV2F in US AES mode. I also like the auto fire option in shooters and the Metal Slug games. It keeps me from beating the crap out of the A button.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Region changing, Jukebox, Soft reset and Soft Dips.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
What gutsdozer said.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
[EDIT: If you have an MVS board] you don't need a memory card to have your highscores saved at all. There are a couple of board revisions (esp. 1 slots) without a memory card reader, they still save the highscores - in the battery powered backup ram (along with the date/time/plays etc.). [But if you have a homeconsole your original statement is correct (I belive).]

Any MVS board will save the high scores on the backup RAM, but only up to 8 cartridges. When you insert a ninth cartridge, the first save is erased. Also, I read that the 161-in-1 cart always clears the backup RAM on startup. If you have a UniBIOS+memory card, you can save many more high scores and they are not erased by the 161, in fact the 161 uses (loads and saves) the high scores on the memory card too when using the UniBIOS.

Also this:RAZ is king.

100% agree.

My favorite features are all of them. From MVS/AES mode selection, to cheat codes (although I never use them) to pause mode in MVS, jukebox, high score/AES BIOS settings saving, memory card manager...love the UniBIOS.

Regards.

Last edited:

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I use the in game menu to pause my MVS all the time. Region changing is nice to remove the FBI and game rating splash screens.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Region switching and like others said before changing from AES to MVS mode. It's really nice for some of the later King of Fighters games that I can play in AES mode on my cab and use the practice mode.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Region changing, Jukebox, Soft reset and Soft Dips.

Ditto on these.

Soft reseting and then changing the region has definitely come in handy on games with graphics differences like Money Idol Exchanger.

Last edited:

Beelay

New Challenger
I bought mine specifically for the ability to change region. I like to play games in their original language when possible, so playing stuff in Japanese was what I was after.
Soft reset is also super nice.

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The soft reset and using it to access to softdip settings without having to get up and flip the switch.

Pausing the game is also nice.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
((( DOUBLE POST, FUCK IT ALL )))

Last edited:

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
i will certainly enjoy finally getting to hear all of this, clear as a bell from original hardware, soon as i get my JPN AES BIOSed;

MagicianLord04.gif

- first i ever heard that shit, on the crappy-sounding PS2 SNK ARCADE CLASSICS, i was literally hyperventilating with laughter.
i just could believe that crap actually existed, and that it took 20 years to finally happen upon it. it really made my year...