What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
I discovered Mutation Nation about a month ago and am still waiting for time to play it with friends. Probably won't be for a while though.

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
I've heard good things about Final Fight 3. I think I rented it back in the day, but it's difficult to find now. I believe it adds a dash mechanic and a meter system.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've heard good things about Final Fight 3. I think I rented it back in the day, but it's difficult to find now. I believe it adds a dash mechanic and a meter system.

For a console beat 'em up, Final Fight 3 is a lot of fun. Yes, it has a dash mechanic, a super meter, and Street Fighter style macros. If you can get over the fact that you only have 3 enemies on screen at a time (sometimes you get 4! Quite a rarity for SNES beat 'em ups), it can be a very enjoyable game, albeit easy.

I'd say Final Fight 3 has historically received a bad rap due to either or both of these reasons.

1. It's not an arcade game. It wasn't designed by Akiman/NIN NIN. Obviously, the game is going to lack both the muscle and the charm of the original.

2. Or the player doesn't make use of the mechanics/combos/supers in the game and they're just day dreaming and mashing Y. The engine is what makes the game unique. If you're not making use of it, you're not left with much.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's just odd that some of the stages don't have a boss at the end.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
The new Streets of Rage 3D Classics is amazing. I could not have predicted how well this would turn out!

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
The new Streets of Rage 3D Classics is amazing. I could not have predicted how well this would turn out!

SAME. I picked this up on thursday, MAN the 3D helps the depth out! I've never been better at dodging in this game!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I recently picked up a copy of Bare Knuckle III. I've just 1cc'd it on very hard. Way easier than a Streets of Rage 3 clear on normal.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I got the 1cc and counter stopped the game on very hard with Victy/Roo today.

His BC tail whip is worth almost 200 points per hit and creates an absurd amount of hit stun. You can kill most of the bosses with a tail whip infinite. I should really go for a SOR3 very hard run with Roo. I think I counter stopped the game by the end of stage 5. Ha.

roo.jpg

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I finally 1cc'd Golden Axe III with the Warrior character.

The game is a bit challenging but I discovered a few sleazy tricks to use against bosses.

Genesis Golden Axe games : GA III > GA I > GA II

And what a soundtrack!

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Been getting stuck into DD Neon the last few days. I really enjoyed it :)

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Make sure you play the Japanese versions of Simpsons and X-Men. Konami butchered several of their arcade beatemups for the West in the name of quarter munching. Simpsons was originally a much more balanced game that recovered your health between stages.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Make sure you play the Japanese versions of Simpsons and X-Men. Konami butchered several of their arcade beatemups for the West in the name of quarter munching. Simpsons was originally a much more balanced game that recovered your health between stages.

These people don't care. Preach to a new choir.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner

But it wouldn't be the same. Besides, it was more fun with three lives, because it honed your skills to not go into the fight recklessly. Not only that, there was a reason why they were multiplayer beat-em ups!

The Japanese games sound fair, but they would've been too easy.