What Compact Discs Are You Listening to Tonight?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I have this on LP as well, and that version has two more tracks, but when its time to get Environmental two CDs is more mellow than six sides.

If you think you'd never like this kind of thing, you're probably right. However if you think you want a copy of this, you almost certainly do. This is amazing at what it is, one of my favorite releases of whatever year that was.

IMG_4869.JPG

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It’s that time of the year again

2A6C12FA-464A-4E42-9B5E-22D21B13AA23.jpeg

I never get sick of this one, especially when the leaves are turning.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Going through some singles. This one rules, and man so much info on the CD…4CF9D23F-127E-4C5F-A092-9A4F893B2AA6.jpeg

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Not everything MTV called “alternative” was muddy Seattle bullshit. This band is a bass lovers dream, so well recorded, very powerful.

I miss when EPs were more of a thing…they can be SO solid.

C69231E5-887B-40C8-ADF9-AEDE54A9D199.jpeg

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I've never found a multichannel mix of anything that didn't distract me constantly from just enjoying the music...but I'll keep buying the things anyway :)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I prefer they stylings of quad mixes to 5.1 (especially "Dark Side" and "Wish you were here")

Anyways, Blu Ray audio is so rich (whether it is 5.1, 4.0 or 2.0).

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Indeed Blu-ray audio is as good as anything needs to ever be.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
Pale Communion is so damn good.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I had a Harmon Kardon receiver that could decode HDCD's. I finally got everything set up to play them and it died two days later.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Gtfo with those crappy cd's.
Vinyl or bust.
I had a lot of metal albums back in the day. Changed to cd and they all sounded wrong. Went back to vinyl last year.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Vinyl or bust.
I had a lot of metal albums back in the day. Changed to cd and they all sounded wrong. Went back to vinyl last year.

We have a thread for that too.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Vinyl or bust.
It all depends on what media they were originally mastered for. I still have a lot of stuff on CD because in the 90s they weren't mastering stuff for vinyl and if it even got a vinyl release it usually sounded awful. Now that vinyl is popular again and many of those albums are now considered classic they are finally getting remastered properly for vinyl.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I still have a lot of stuff on CD because in the 90s they weren't mastering stuff for vinyl and if it even got a vinyl release it usually sounded awful

Also, in the 90's they often cheeped out put an entire album on a single lp. Most albums of the era were running 60+ minutes so they were squeezing half an hour per side like some K-Tel shit.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Also, in the 90's they often cheeped out put an entire album on a single lp. Most albums of the era were running 60+ minutes so they were squeezing half an hour per side like some K-Tel shit.

A few things.

60 min on LP is not possible, not stereo anyway, and not needed since most albums from the LP days are way shorter. Once CD was standard they were aiming for 60+min where before the max on a single album was 44, usually like 36 min. This didn't really happen until the 90s and by then almost nothing was coming out on wax in the US or Japan except for 12" singles. Most prog fans know this time/space thing from experience. Many songs from 70s bands were chosen to be as long as a single side can hold. Famously, Tales of Topographic Oceans is four songs like this, two LPs, each side/song is under 20 min, I think. By 1997 it was honestly hard to get any new LPs from any band that wasn't punk, hiphop, or on a European label. Vinyl albums pretty much stopped being made in the 90s but the 12"s flowed like rivers. To get 60 min of stereo on an LP you'd have to turn the gain way down and reduce the stereo as well. It would be super shit, I've never seen anything like this. All my 90s LPs are less than 40 min,

Aside from that, I honestly really hate the modern trend of burning through as many discs as possible. The sound can be, and usually is, louder but that only helps people with shitty stereos. Meanwhile everything costs more to buy, more to ship, takes up more space, and takes twice as much flipping. If there is a solid premise, like New Order's 10LP version of Music Complete or 45RPM audiophile pressings, that's one thing, but to be honest I think its just easier to train new people on how to cut records if they are allowed double the space and since kids now seem to be willing to pay any price for records there isn't any incentive to not do it.

EDIT: I lied. I have Pet Shop Boy's Nightlife (1999) and the Wiki says its 52:02 which is pretty impressive. It is a little quiet but I never thought it sounded bad. Now it does, now it has decades of play on it, but it didn't bother me in 1999.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Don’t engage. It’s a fools argument.
People blindly buying records should be aware that a lot of stuff in the last 30+ years just wasn't made with it in mind. I see a lot of guys spending big $$$ on OG pressings of albums from the 90s because they were printed in such low numbers when there is a really nice remaster readily available.

The needlessly extended pressings are so stupid. There's a new pressing of Ironman by Ghostface that's 3 lis lol, that's 2 tracks per side, most people buying will listen to it once to justify their purchase and look at the color vinyl then immediately go back to listening to it digitally. There's also a trend to put out regular length lps as 45 boxsets, that's just shelf candy.

As far as CDs go I don't really use mine except occasionally in the car, they're all long since ripped to lossless and boxed up.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yes, they had to mess with the sound to get more time. The k-tel compilations were running 10 songs per side.

Here's an egregious overrun from the 90's.
Side1 runs over 30 minutes.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
People blindly buying records should be aware that a lot of stuff in the last 30+ years just wasn't made with it in mind. I see a lot of guys spending big $$$ on OG pressings of albums from the 90s because they were printed in such low numbers when there is a really nice remaster readily available.

The needlessly extended pressings are so stupid. There's a new pressing of Ironman by Ghostface that's 3 lis lol, that's 2 tracks per side, most people buying will listen to it once to justify their purchase and look at the color vinyl then immediately go back to listening to it digitally. There's also a trend to put out regular length lps as 45 boxsets, that's just shelf candy.

As far as CDs go I don't really use mine except occasionally in the car, they're all long since ripped to lossless and boxed up.

The thing about turning discs into files is that it never ends. You have to rip everything after you buy it, you have to eventually back it up, you have to migrate an ever growing collection to new volumes as they age. And then when you go to play them you have to find something that can actually play the things through your stereo without sounding like off brand junk.

For me it’s way way simpler to just use the actual CD in a quality CD player.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Scarface's Untouchable dropped a track for the original LP release (to get it on one disc). Then on the reissue, they dropped a different track.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The thing about turning discs into files is that it never ends. You have to rip everything after you buy it, you have to eventually back it up, you have to migrate an ever growing collection to new volumes as they age. And then when you go to play them you have to find something that can actually play the things through your stereo without sounding like off brand junk.

For me it’s way way simpler to just use the actual CD in a quality CD player.
Or you can link3 Sony Explorer/Mega 400 systems together.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

I love them but one of my stupidest LPs ever is the first (only?) album by The Uncluded which says right on it that it was cut at 45rpm for max sound quality…which would make sense if it wasn’t a fuckin PICTURE DISC and therefore doomed to sound like total shit at any speed! :)

I have a weird Genesis single, an audiophile grade reissue of Spot the Pigeon, where they put the entire thing on both sides with one side 44 and the other 33.33. I can’t tell the difference other than the natural frequency of all the noise moves higher.