What console were you most disappointed with?

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
N64 was a HUGE let down. After the glow of Mario64/Zelda64/Goldeneye faded it was just a piece of crap. The GameCube was also a disappointment.

It's amazing how much credit people give the big N these days...it's like they forget about those abysmal systems. I believe that even Nintendo itself has said that the N64 was a "successful failure."

The PS3 is, however, the best video game console I've ever owned...hands down.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
STK used no logic or reasoning. He simply started making bullshit assumptions...all of which were wrong.

I find it amazing how butt-hurt you guys are getting over this stuff. Nintendo should be commended as they have done a real number on you. This would be a great case study for a marketing class in business school.

Ha ha ha ha ha, I think you're confusing "butthurt" with "amused at your hilarious ignorance and stupidity." But I can't say I'm surprised... You don't even seem to know what an argument is, or what logic and reason are. Even more hilarious, people are talking about the console that disappointed them the most, but you're treating it like it's some kind of objective truth. Holy fuck you're dumb.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Anyone not answering "the goddamn Wii" in this thread is lying.

I suppose anything made by Nintendo in the last three gens is an acceptable answer for the most part, though.

Steve

The Wonder Years,

I suppose anything made by Nintendo in the last three gens is an acceptable answer for the most part, though.

Technically, can one be disappointed in something they don't care whatsoever about?

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member

I didn't mention any systems that are still being supported since they still have time to turn themselves around, although yeah, the Wii has been pretty lousy so far for me, for various reasons.

I love how no Nintendo game ever goes down in fucking price, despite how long it's been out or how many copies it's sold. I also love how even the majority of light gun games for it manage to disappoint in one way or another (usually by having a cross-hair on screen at all times that I can't seem to turn off).

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well where to start here.

I'm going to leave out the silly systems and say PS2. I had one and only bought like 3 games new for it. I borrowed a few from people and such and never once played anything that I liked.
Maybe it was just when it came out for me and I was not as big on video games or such but I felt it was a major let down.
The colors were awful for me. The only system that had worse colors I think was the n64, followed by sega genisis in 3rd place.

The only reason that the ps2 does not top my list of biggest let down systems is because of the ps3. I got one and thought it was pretty awsome, I really did like it quite a lot and had fun playing my one game. Then never found another. Sony finally managed to build a system that was pretty much just for playing cut scenes on and not having to worry about having actual games anymore. Impressive stuff there.

Also will add the 360 is a pretty big let down. I only have like one game for it any more. I don't really play it except when with friends or such. I don't even use it for netflix now as I bought a set top box for that and it works much better I think.

I guess you could say I was let down with the dreamcast in the fact that it did not stick around longer. That was about my favorite system for a long time. It had very good colors I could enjoy.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If arcade hardware are included, I'd have to say the Virtual Reality arcades (the ones that cost 5 bucks for 10 minutes of play) are the biggest disappointment. They were hyped to revolutionize the arcade scenary but died in a short time instead, hastening the fall of arcade scene in a whole.

I know people here collect cabs, but how many of you bother to have a VR arcade machine?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

How can you work up a feeling of disappointment for the Wii after Gamecube and N64? How do you have anything left?

N64 was disappointing because SNES was so great. GC was less disappointing because we were coming off the N64, which was not so hot. Wii is not disappointing because it is exactly what I expected it would be, after experiencing N64 and GC.

Nintendo has conditioned me at this point to have my expectations in them so low, that if they ever do again have a more than halfway-decent console, I'll be happy enough to jump over a barn.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert

Yeah, ye, ye yeaahhhh!

410cd631351541c37d4249dc9615be4a.jpg

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Atari XE

Meh...

Atleast the Jaguar and 3DO each had one awesome game.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Wii.

I called it the first day it was released and got it home. I played with the broken controller and knew right away that gamers would not want it. People on this forum fought me at first, but now anyone who is actually a gamer agrees there is hardly anything to play for it.

A close second is something from Nintendo. N64, GameCube or Virtual Boy.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Neo-Geo CD. EXCELLENT idea, GOD-AWFUL execution. Acceptable for older action titles but fighting games? As in 75% of the Neo's library?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The fact that I never was an early adopter (except for MD and NGCD) probably saved me from most of the disappointments mentioned in this thread.

I can see why some people were disappointed with the Saturn. 3D was all the rage back then and most games of that sort were better on PSX or didn't come out for the Saturn at all. The fact that the SAT got some truly awesome and partly exclusive arcade (2D) ports like Battle Garegga, Radiant Silvergun or SNK and Capcom fighters didn't mean anything to gamers who wanted to play the latest incarnation of Tomb Raider, Tekken or Final Fantasy.

About the N64, never had one myself but some of my friends did and none of them kept it for more than a year or two, so yeah, I guess it could be called a disappointment for those who thought it would be just as well-received and widely supported as the SNES.

And... ...GameCube? Bought one when RE4 came out and have to admit that I kinda love the little machine. What's there works for me and I still come back to some GC games like P.N.03 or RE4 so I couldn't say that I'm disappointed with it.

I was a bit let down by the info that the Wii would feature wiggle-waggle controls instead of proper pads or sticks, I remember that I was quite interested in the machine at first but it turned out that I totally misinterpreted Nintendo's philosophy (if you can call it that) behind it.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I agree with the Wii, I remmber my frineds being all enthusiastic about it whne the NIntendo Rep was showing some stuff at a gamestop and I was extremely skeptical and rightfully so. Those motion controllers are useless except for Wii sports and that's nothing but a party game, the games that suit my tates for the Wii usually don't need any of the motion controls except for House of the Dead and Metroid.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Oh and btw...lol at you questioning my educational background. I sure did go to college...one of the best in the country, and graduated cum laude as well...so :angry:

I find this extremely hard to believe. Are you able to provide yourself with any proof? I refuse to argue further with somebody whom I believe to be retarded. If you can provide proof, I'll go back and quote your horribly-constructed argument and further break it down as to why it's not only stupid, but how it makes no sense and shouldn't be coming out of somebody who claims to have graduated from one of the best colleges in the country, cum laude, no less.

Or maybe you and your English professor spent too many nights playing the N64, rather than studying and grading papers.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
hating nintendo is the cool thing to do, all the hardcore gamers are doing it!!!!

But seriously, aside from perhaps Merc, I think most people here are full of shit. You claim to have loved the nes and snes so much and those systems played such a huge role in your life until nintendo released the atrocity that is n64 and crushed your spirits....BULLSHIT.

If you loved the oldschool consoles as much as you claim, then there is no way you could have felt even the slightest bit disappointed w/ games like Mario, Zelda or Starfox etc etc. Nintendo took the games that you claimed to have loved so much as kids, and reinvented them into stellar 3d masterpieces - and yet you claim to have been disappointed with them? yeah fucking right.

Either you guys aren't as into the nes and snes as you claim to be, or you got your n64 10 years after they were released. And if you say otherwise, you are full of shit.

And lol at this fool Wes trying to provoke me. Proof? What, do you want me to do, scan my degree? haha. Why don't you go back to the war room and try to get some more cockshots of members here. i'm sure heartlessninny will be happy to oblige.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
To be honest i didn't think the n64 was that bad, it had some great games but they didn't age as well as the games for the original nes and snes. The problem with 3d is it seems the games are all the same with the exception of graphic detail. Sure once in awhile you come across something new and innovative but thats not too often these days. The dreamcast was my biggest dissapointment, i had so much fun playing the games i'm just shocked it didn't last longer than it did. On one hand it had some phenominal games and the graphics of even the sports games rival some of what they are selling nowadays, 2 console generations after the dreamcast. What sega was able to do was just amazing, i'm more shocked at the fact people didn't keep the platform alive alot longer than it did. I still play the DC on a regular basis and have logged about as many hours on it as i have the ps3 or 360 in the past year. The controller was abit awkward and not nearly as comfortable, but the games were so god damn fun.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
hating nintendo is the cool thing to do, all the hardcore gamers are doing it!!!!

But seriously, aside from perhaps Merc, I think most people here are full of shit. You claim to have loved the nes and snes so much and those systems played such a huge role in your life until nintendo released the atrocity that is n64 and crushed your spirits....BULLSHIT.

If you loved the oldschool consoles as much as you claim, then there is no way you could have felt even the slightest bit disappointed w/ games like Mario, Zelda or Starfox etc etc. Nintendo took the games that you claimed to have loved so much as kids, and reinvented them into stellar 3d masterpieces - and yet you claim to have been disappointed with them? yeah fucking right.

Either you guys aren't as into the nes and snes as you claim to be, or you got your n64 10 years after they were released. And if you say otherwise, you are full of shit.

And lol at this fool Wes trying to provoke me. Proof? What, do you want me to do, scan my degree? haha. Why don't you go back to the war room and try to get some more cockshots of members here. i'm sure heartlessninny will be happy to oblige.

You know why the NES and SNES were far superior to the N64? Because not only did you get those great first party games but also a metric shit ton of quality third party games too. There are so many great games on the SNES that Nintendo didn't develop that you'd never have time to play them all, especially if you start getting into the Japanese games.

So we could ever go as far to say that the SNES would have been a great system without Nintendo's games. It would have been missing some stellar parts of its library but there would still be a lot of great shit to play. Now, can you really say that about the N64?

Thats what the PS1 was. A SNES without the Nintendo games.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
First of all, this is a Neo Geo forum. We like to get what we pay for and expect our shit to be top notch. I am sure a lot of us were like this before the Neo Geo. Hell, I know Merc, Smokehouse and others are this way. We took our games seriously, go balls deep, no fucking around, playing bullshit is for suckas.

When I got the N64, it did not have the same feel of "Quality" that the NES, SNES or the PS1 had, when it came to the games. I was expecting mind blowing games not just pretty good titles overall especially in COMPARISON to the SNES games and as well as the PS1 games that were coming out.

Sure Mario 64 and Zelda OoT are some excellent games and they tend to actually look better graphically than many other N64 games as well. Golden Eye and Perfect Dark are some fun games to run through, but the multiplayer was ass if you have more than 2 players. Jesus fucking Christ 4 players was just terrible on those games.

To Neo_Moe It seems like you didn't own a PS1 when it came out nor played much games then and even now. So you don't know what you missed out on. This is just going by what I have seen in most, not all of your posts as I haven't read all. So I am listing this:

N64 vs. PS1 - Do I really have to show this?!?!

Castlevania 64 x2 < Symphony of the Night and Chronicles

Megaman 64 < MM X4-6, MM 8, MM Legends 1 (identical) and 2

Street Fighter Alpha series - none < Alpha 1-3, even SF movie and collections

SNK - nothing < Inferior to Neo Geo but better than 16 bit ports and none at all

Star Soldier - only shooter I could find US < Einhander, Sexy Parodus, Layer section series, etc...

Ogre Battle 64 < Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Tactics, Front Mission 3, Vandal Hearts etc...

Zelda OoT - OK won this one > Alundra, and this is my favorite next to Brave Fencer Musashi and Legacy of Kain 1

Winback < Metal Gear Solid, winback better combat but story, characters etc.. no contest to MGS

Resident Evil 2 = Resident Evil 2, but no RE 1 and 3 for N64, bummer.

Star Fox 64 < Ace Combat 2 and even Warhawk dare I say.

Final Fantasy - none < FF 7, it isn't overrated BTW, you know damn well when that game came out it was fucking awesome and epic as hell to play. Also, FF 8 and FF 9 were nice to have even though not my favorites.

Some other greats on the PS1 US: Tekken 3, Soul Edge, Dino Crisis 2, Ultimate Doom, Elemental Gearbolt, Arc the Lad 1 and 2, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, Lunar 1 and 2, Breath of Fire 4, Suikoden 1 and 2, and Star Ocean Second Story. There are so many others and tons of import games as well.

The system just comes up short with game series other than Nintendo made ones that have been coming out for years mostly. Hell, they didn't even make a Metroid game which is surprising.

Your missing the point...I am not saying there werent good games on the psx. I bought a psx at launch. I also bought alot of the big psx games as they were released including Metal Gear, Gran Turismo, FF7 and countless others. Yeah they were good, even great games.

I am only saying the n64 was not a disappointing system because there were alot of great games released for it. Apparently, that statement really offends some idiots out there, but what can I say...their loss I guess.

Some people take this stuff so seriously. You are so invested in your games/systems so much that it really is creepy. Its like nintendo didnt cater to your every gaming whim, so now you want their blood. fucking lol. fools like Wes, STK, Smokehouse and Heartlessninny really make gamers look bad.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
You know why the NES and SNES were far superior to the N64? Because not only did you get those great first party games but also a metric shit ton of quality third party games too. There are so many great games on the SNES that Nintendo didn't develop that you'd never have time to play them all, especially if you start getting into the Japanese games.

So we could ever go as far to say that the SNES would have been a great system without Nintendo's games. It would have been missing some stellar parts of its library but there would still be a lot of great shit to play. Now, can you really say that about the N64?

Thats what the PS1 was. A SNES without the Nintendo games.

I understand what you are saying, you guys keep repeating it over and over.

But my point is why does that detract from the quality games that were on the system? You guys are so concerned about what wasnt on the n64 that you didnt give proper attention to the great stuff that was on the system.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Okay, reading these more, it's clear that everyone who list the N64 is a retard. But that's okay. It's not like you guys can accept that. The N64 wasn't as great as the SNES, but how did it really disappoint you back then? It didn't. And your responses here are simply 20/20 hindsight.

I put in more thought and remembered how upset I was when the Dreamcast tossed in the towel and quit. You want to talk about disappointment? That's disappointment right there. I can't remember if the PS2 and Xbox were even released yet, but the DC was over and done with in what, 2 years? That's complete shit. 9.9.99 to 2.14.02 that's just 2.5 years. That's shit. For a system that had so much promise, that had RECV, Shenmue, and a load of great fighting games, to just give up that early. It's shit. That's disappointment.

If you were disappointed in the N64 at any point, then you were being stupid and childish, as if it could have been anything more than the SNES. The bulk of anyone's disappointment should be summed up in Crystal Dreams. After that, everything was completely fucking obvious. Like your collective retardedness.