what did people think of Alan Wake?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
got it for like $2 on Steam

i really like the tandem gameplay elements between light sources and conventional weaponry

the PC version looks pretty damn good too and the dark atmosphere is certainly very eerie and fitting

not too sure about the story yet as it's something that i don't truly manifests itself until the very end

the collectibles aspect of it are just fucking absurd though

thought it would be kind of cool to get all the Manuscripts and Coffee Mugs but then i did a quick search and saw there's over a 100 of each... screw that

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Great game. I would've passed on it if it didn't come bundled with my 360, and I'm very glad it was. If you're going to go for the collectible achievements, I think there are some you can't get unless you play on higher difficulty, so if your first game isn't on that setting then I'd recommend just skipping them and enjoying the story. If you want to be a completionist, then wait until you start a new game. But yeah, I liked the story and narration. Really, really good stuff.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i thought the game was pretty easy at first but once you get a ton of enemies rushing you you really have to careful about conserving ammo and using flares/flashbangs at the right moments

lot of very tense combat situations

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
It's got a good atmosphere but overall a pretty boring game. The combat isn't really satisfying , and its quite linear also.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
Loved it, everything about it. I was hoping Remedy would show up a 2nd one at E3 but we're getting Quantum Break instead. But I like what I'm seeing with that, so I'm going to support them and that game in hopes that we get Alan Wake 2 sooner rather than later.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
...its quite linear also.

I thought that was to it's advantage. I also don't need ever modern game to be a big ass sandbox, tight/straight forward direction often times shows a more concise vision on behalf of the developers and often benefits the games narrative. Especially a game like this.

I really enjoyed what I played of it. Didn't get to finish it though, my 360 shit the bed.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I thought that was to it's advantage. I also don't need ever modern game to be a big ass sandbox, tight/straight forward direction often times shows a more concise vision on behalf of the developers and often benefits the games narrative. Especially a game like this.

+1 million million

Sometimes, open world is nice but by no means should it be a requirement.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
if this game was open world i'd be fucked

i've already gotten lost a few times in these damn woods

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
also: the part with the rock'n'roll stage is sweet as hell

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Love it....probably my favorite xbox exclusive (though I guess its on PCs now..?)

Can I say that it is the best "horror" game since Resident Evil 4? Will I get flogged for that?

The game is oozing atmosphere and personality...my wife is not into games at all, but sometimes she would even just like to sit and watch me play.

I have the 2 DLC add-ons and American Nightmare, but have yet to play through any of those...but I assume they are top notch as well.

And yes, the rock n roll stage was completely awesome!

Last edited: