What do you do if your power fails in arctic conditions?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I don't live in arctic conditions but my area always experience power outages, this ryobi power station with 8 battery packs has gotten me through 2 days. Don't recommend it if you want to run a heater as those are power hogs.

View attachment 61568

My gas furnace still uses a fair amount of power for forced air, but that does look intriguing. It got me going down the rabbit hole of home power banks, and some of the slightly bigger ones than that have an output I could hook to my generator inlet at my breaker panel. It would set me back a couple/few grand but fuck dealing with gasoline... and my gas generator is so loud. You don't care when you're warm and fed but that cocksucker is -loud-

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Or local power kinda sucks and is subject to random outtages, so the normal plan is to keep all doors shut, don't open the fridge and grab some blankets, lights, and battery powered essentials. As someone else mentioned it takes quite some time for the house to get so cold it's a real problem and making it overnight under some thick blankets is just fine. Only once 15 or so years ago did we have a real lasting outtage after a crazy ice storm, and we just went to my in law's house for a few days.

My house wasn't affected, but last Friday we had some problems around here were the wind knocked out power in a lot of places and the power company couldn't even begin to make repairs because of the severe wind chill. Fun! My main inconvenience is the wind knocked over a container of used motor oil I hadn't taken to be disposed of yet, and it's too cold for me to actually clean it up since the water will just freeze, lol. I dumped out a soda in my front yard a few days ago and the ice cubes are still there.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm seeing the news from America and it's saying there's temperatures as low as -45C and a million people without power.

What happens when your power dies in conditions like that? Won't everyone just freeze to death? Do you just sit in your car until the fuel runs out?
If you live in Texas, you keep voting Republican is what you do.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm seeing the news from America and it's saying there's temperatures as low as -45C and a million people without power.

What happens when your power dies in conditions like that? Won't everyone just freeze to death? Do you just sit in your car until the fuel runs out?
We don't have to worry about that in central Florida but when we lived in Wyoming we had 2 fireplaces and gas central heating that did not require electricity to operate. The basement of the house never got below 65F anyway even when it was -20F outside.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
My gas furnace still uses a fair amount of power for forced air, but that does look intriguing. It got me going down the rabbit hole of home power banks, and some of the slightly bigger ones than that have an output I could hook to my generator inlet at my breaker panel. It would set me back a couple/few grand but fuck dealing with gasoline... and my gas generator is so loud. You don't care when you're warm and fed but that cocksucker is -loud-
This might be worth looking into.