What do you list under interests on your resume?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Does the 'interests' section still exist on resumes (CV's)? I admit I haven't written one up in many years now.

If so, please lay bare your lies.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Why would you put interests on a resume?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
US resumes typically avoid unnecessary information. We also don’t include photos of ourselves on the resumes, typically.

However, with LinkedIn, recruiters see your picture and cross reference your resume to your profile regardless.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm starting to feel like I've asked this before with similar crushing responses. Is this my Joe 8 Terminator thread?

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
US resumes typically avoid unnecessary information. We also don’t include photos of ourselves on the resumes, typically.

However, with LinkedIn, recruiters see your picture and cross reference your resume to your profile regardless.

i've seen more than my fair share of resumes with unnecessary information. typically, they come from the weeaboo sub-species.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
INTERESTS:

VIDYA GAMES
FIGURINE COLLECTING
BOARD GAMES

You're hired!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
It just gives you a more well-rounded appearance; that you have an active/full life outside of working. I'd put down making artwork, hiking, volunteering, listening to music, collecting toys/books, stuff like that. If the job application process includes a psychological evaluation, hopefully, your hobbies give the impression that you're a sane and well adjusted fellow.

Unless I'm applying for moderator at NG.com, then I put down dollfucking, improvised fleshlight construction, cawk drawing, and crazy funstering.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Sitting in a metal folding chair at a card table writing angry letters to the government beneath a bare lightbulb in an otherwise dark room

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
No, your resume should be one page focused on your most recent and most relevant experience only, people don't have time to read that shit anymore

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Crush your enemies. See them driven beneath your feet, and hear the lamentations of their women.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Excess crap that isn't your relevant experience and work history is a great way to get your resume sent straight to the circular file. I don't give a shit that you played Tevye in your high school's rendition of Fiddler on the Roof.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Reading Science Fiction and Fantasy
Tabletop Gaming
History, with a focus on Europe
Writing (critical analysis of pop culture, fiction)
Spending quiet time with my wife

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

LinkedIn is such hot garbage. I hate that it's necessary for professional careers now.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Work related interests:

Taking my dumps on the clock.

Company sponsored events with free alcohol, food, bowling or loose women. In that order.

Doing as little as possible for as much money as possible.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Is this a serious thread? Truly sad Steven, now it makes sense why you're stuck selling car parts on ebay.

I'm starting to feel like I've asked this before with similar crushing responses. Is this my Joe 8 Terminator thread?

Yes.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I’ve seen a few instances of stuff like that on resumes...but it’s usually recent grads trying to fill up a page. It is a bit questionable because a better way i’ve seen people address lack of experience is by listing relevant schoolwork and/or volunteer experience. What bugs me most on resumes are grammatical, spelling and formatting issues.

Having said that, when i’m hiring I place a lot more emphasis on a case study I give candidates and interviews. It’s amazing how much you can learn about someone in a very short amount of time.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
4b7f01ecf1b11f22ac32893c9331e5e7.jpg

BTs26of.jpg

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Propane and propane accessories

just make shit up, who cares.
anything but "i liek teh vidya geams"

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I’ve listed Evil Wasabi as a reference and I provide a link to his profile page here.

People ask “is his first name really Evil?”

And i respond yes, it’s Persian.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Propane and propane accessories

just make shit up, who cares.
anything but "i liek teh vidya geams"

but that's my whole personality shroom, you don't understand, I'm nothing without them 90's vidya gaem plastique

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
I usually write under interests "G4ming, l33t h4cking and doll fucking". works everytime..

but seriously - I really prefer the US standardized resumes. the only things important for HR should be what my expertise the last years was and how that can benefit the company.

and none of that "Why I really want to work at your company" bullshit!

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I’ve listed Evil Wasabi as a reference and I provide a link to his profile page here.

People ask “is his first name really Evil?”

And i respond yes, it’s Persian.

Wouldn't they have to register an account to view Wasabi's profile? Is that what you really want?

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Wouldn't they have to register an account to view Wasabi's profile? Is that what you really want?

Yes, every new member that signs up is a potential neostore customer.