What is the food specialty of your city/region???

Robert

20 Year Member
The ramadan has started (I work in Egypt now that's why I care) and people are cooking special meals for this event so I thought about making a thread where everyone could explain what are the food specialties of their city/region.

My city (Troyes) has a kind of sausage called andouillette made with the intestine of pig (I know it sounds weird but it tastes good)

My department (aube) is producing also Champagne which is certainly more appealing.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I live in Nuremberg, Germany, which is located in the northern part of Bavaria (Frankonia).

Our local specialities are Nürnberger Bratwwürste (Nuremberg small sausages with pork and several spices), Lebkuchen (sweet and spicy large cookies), Schäufele (made of pig shoulder, with a roasted crust, served with potato dumplings and, yes you guessed it, Sauerkraut) and of course several special beers.

All that stuff gets exported so perhaps some of you have already tried some.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
fish and chips.... or maybe a Greasy Doner Kebab with chilli sauce :kekeke:

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Probably this raw food fad (though many folks here try to combine it with veganism).

http://www.living-foods.com/

What are Living and Raw Foods?
Raw and Living Foods are foods that contain enzymes. In general, the act of heating food over 116 degrees F destroys enzymes in food. (Enzymes start to degrade in as little as 106 degrees F). All cooked food is devoid of enzymes, furthermore cooking food changes the molecular structure of the food and renders it toxic. Living and raw foods also have enormously higher nutrient values than the foods that have been cooked.

Last edited:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Ely13 said:
Probably this raw food fad (though most folks here try to combine it with veganism).

http://www.living-foods.com/

What are Living and Raw Foods?
Raw and Living Foods are foods that contain enzymes. In general, the act of heating food over 116 degrees F destroys enzymes in food. (Enzymes start to degrade in as little as 106 degrees F). All cooked food is devoid of enzymes, furthermore cooking food changes the molecular structure of the food and renders it toxic. Living and raw foods also have enormously higher nutrient values than the foods that have been cooked.

Such fucking lies. LIES!

I guess we make fried seafood of some sort here? I dunno.

Aligator tail?

Cranky

Dodgeball Yakuza
in another state, there's a dish called "landak masak lemak", which is smoked hedgehog meat in gravy, much like curry. it's good :drool: i haven't had it in a while. and don't say i'm weird or anything, it's edible :)

Lycan645

Banned
As sad as it sounds the food of my region is the pizza. There's gotta be 10 or 9 pizza joints here and it's not that big of a town. Most of them are chains too which really blows.

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Nesagwa said:
Such fucking lies. LIES!

I guess we make fried seafood of some sort here? I dunno.

Aligator tail?
I have no idea if it's like this in other parts of the country, but every other resturant out here makes a huge show out of using organic/non-GMO food.

I suppose there's also 'California Cuisine', though that probably falls more under regional cuisine than anything else. I think it's a cross between grilling and Pan-Asian cuisine, but some foodie here could probably straighten me out.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
St. Paul, MN...home of Pearson's Salted Nut Roll candy bar.
salted_nutroll.gif

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
My country in general: chocolates and french fries. =)

Robert

20 Year Member
Some recipes sound so exotic like the oyster omelette (we eat them raw, fresh from the shell in France) or the Hedgehog curry (why not after all).

But if there was one specialty to taste in the entire thread, it would be the Nürnberger Bratwwürste for me.

melchia

Franco's Trainer
I would say Mexican food, except the Mexican food here is not as good as you find in the border towns like the El Paso/Juarez area.

Now that I think about it, the DFW area's specialty is probably something along the lines of steak (all different cuts). After all, Ft. Worth is pretty well known for its stock yards, and there are steak houses all over the place (seems like every corner). Yeah, I'm really thrilled about the cowpoke associations... :rolleyes:

skam

Super Spy Agent
Supposedly we have more fried chicken shops per head than any other town/city in the UK. Quality. Most of them are halal too :chimp:

Bedfordshire Clanger's are more traditional, which is a pastry or suet thing with meat (normally pork) in one end and then jam in the other which they used to give the yeomanry to eat when working in the fields.

Hedgehog pie used to be a local delicacy as well :kekeke:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
This area's specialty is boring my poor tongue to death. :oh_no:

My home state, Louisiana, has some of the best food in the world - cajun, very spicy, and terrific seafood. You win some, you lose some, I guess.

Vlad

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
Galician typical dishes

Boiled octopus with potatoes and paprika

pulpo.jpg

Boiled pork with potatoes, beans and spanish sausage

Cocido_Gallego.jpg

All kinds of seafood (mussels, clamps, scallops, crabs, etc)

mariscada.jpg

Octopus/Meat/Pork/Chicken/Mussels/Clamps/etc hot pie "empanada"

empanada_galega320.jpg

Boiled hake:

merluza_a_la_gallega.jpg

Boiled fish and seafood all together:

rest_caldeirada2.jpg

Spanish omelette:

tortillapatatas.jpg

Boiled meat with potatoes and paprika

dsc02670.jpg

Grilled meat.

churrasco.jpg

Typical Galician desserts:

Orellas

orellas.jpg

Filloas

medium_filloas.3.jpg

Tarta de santiago:

tarta.jpg

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Cheesesteaks, roast pork sandwiches, and Yuengling Lager.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
In California (U.S.) it seems like everyone is eating anything Organic.

Hecker

Mizuki's Demon
Vlad's post killed me.

In Quebec we have:

The Pate Chinois

1047628800.jpg

The Poutine

poutine.jpg

And Maple Syrop on Ice.

0512..tire_detail.jpg

:chimp:

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
You guys are lucky... we have meatloaf with just a dash of cigarette ash. Oh, and fast food.

Stinky-Dinkins

Let Her Cook
15 Year Member
I don't think my state has any specific specialty... but we like to mooch off of bordering states. You can find some of the best lobster in the world here, and some of the best chowder (clam, corn, etc.)

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Miers, Oklahoma.

Home of the best buffalo burger in the universe. :drool:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ely13 said:

While the part talking about the enzymes being destroyed is true, the meat does not become toxic after cooking. Those people are idiots. That's just a scam to scare the weak-minded into becoming herbivores.

BTW, Bratwürste is awesome Takumaji! Good with Sauerkraut.

Hecker

Mizuki's Demon
btw I dream of going to Oktoberfest in Germany.

:chimp: