What is the point of Apple TV, Fire Stick, Chromecast etc.? Do I need one?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Basically I just want a tv for my kids play room where they can watch stuff like Disney+, Netflix, HBO Max etc.

I think pretty much all TVs now are smart TVs...so couldn’t you just download those apps directly to the TV?

I think the only one that might be problematic is HBO Max because I know for our main tv we have to access that via my xbone since I can’t find an app on my Samsung. But other than that, what advantages do any of those boxes have?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
As long as the apps on your smart TV are fast and responsive and the ones you want are available, you don't need a dedicated streaming device.

The only thing is, the tech in your TV will probably age faster than a dedicated box. A three year old smart TV will probably struggle and eventually stop getting updates, whereas a device like a Roku or a Fire TV will have a longer useful lifespan.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
That’s a fair point.

Also, what’s the easiest best way to stream stuff from your phone to a tv? My wife and I have iPhones...would Apple TV be our best bet or are there other solutions?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Fire stick you can hack to watch ppv.

Chromecast you can cast your phone to show pics, play your music or show videos...If you have Oculus Quest VR headset, you can cast that too if your tv doesn't have the capabilities.

famicommander

15 Year Member
That’s a fair point.

Also, what’s the easiest best way to stream stuff from your phone to a tv? My wife and I have iPhones...would Apple TV be our best bet or are there other solutions?

I don't know shit about iPhones but I can cast things from my Android phone right to my LG smart TV. Chromecasts are purpose built for that as well.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Ah thanks guys.

So I could potentially get a non-smart tv and a chromecast and stream everything that way...assuming that functionality is compatible with iPhones.

Last edited:

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
If you already have iPhones get an Apple TV. You can log in to it using your Apple ID and all of your music/movie/game purchases will automatically sync to the Apple TV. The latest 4K model is fast and you can easily mirror content from your phone, or even use your phone as a remote complete with virtual keyboard to avoid the painful on screen search options you get on most devices.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I do love the simplicity of Apple.

So here’s a crazy question and I think the answer is yes - could I connect an Apple TV to a monitor with some speakers and call it a day? This needs to fit on a multi tiered shelf so I don’t want a big size TV anyway.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I do love the simplicity of Apple.

So here’s a crazy question and I think the answer is yes - could I connect an Apple TV to a monitor with some speakers and call it a day? This needs to fit on a multi tiered shelf so I don’t want a big size TV anyway.

Yes, you can use a monitor with speakers.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Basically I just want a tv for my kids play room where they can watch stuff like Disney+, Netflix, HBO Max etc.

I think pretty much all TVs now are smart TVs...so couldn’t you just download those apps directly to the TV?

I think the only one that might be problematic is HBO Max because I know for our main tv we have to access that via my xbone since I can’t find an app on my Samsung. But other than that, what advantages do any of those boxes have?

I bought a Firestick to turn my dumb telly into a smart one, works very well and fees are reasonable. The first version that actually was just a USB stick was quite slow and sluggish but the new 4k ones are great and very responsive.

Of course you could buy a smart tv and install some apps on it but there's another option if you get a dumb one and use the stick for your kids, you could always pull out the stick and send them out to play if they watch too much tv. :)

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
That’s a fair point.

Since you and your wife are already in the Apple eco system an Apple TV would be best for your family. When you first set up your Apple TV if you decide to use you or your wife account all of your music, movie, iCloud, and app purchases will automatically be available to use on your Apple TV. And yes you will have a choice of streaming directly to the Apple TV or you can stream though the apps on your iphone to your Apple TV box.

Only down side is that Apple TV hardware starts at $150.00 and you can catch a Amazon fire stick 4k on sale for $35. Apple tv's are more reliable hardware as I have been though three fire sticks in the past couple of years.

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Thanks guys, I think I’ll go with the Apple TV. Don’t need a 4K one so i’ll pick up a standard 4th gen one. People seem to have some complaints about the remote for it but from what I understand you can basically use your phone as a remote anyway.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Just get a TCL Roku TV. Small 4k model costs like $250 and nothing else is needed.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Are any of these streaming chromecast devices any good?

I use mirrorcast on my tv via a firestick and it looks like crap, resolution looks dirty and the refresh rate is total ass.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
how have none of you fagits mentioned the Nvidia Shield? That thing was released in 2015 and is still one of the most powerful stream boxes out there. Works on Android, can side-load apps, powerful enough to emulate Saturn (as best as Saturn emulation is so far) at full speed, and Dreamcast as well. I think it even does PSP/PS2 etc.

If emulation is not your bag, then it can stream all the different apps. It can act as a Plex server, or a Plex client, either one works 100%. If you have the NVidia shield app on your phone (not sure if its on iPhone, though) you can even use your phone as a mouse/trackpad etc on your TV. It's Android so it handles casting to the box extremely easy. You can connect PS4/Xbox0ne controllers through bluetooth, and (even though I dont use it) it is apparently a fairly good game console. It's got some NVidia 'store' that you can download games like the Street Fighter X Tekken games. They play streaming though, kinda like what Stadia was supposed to be. Ive only used it once, so I cant really comment on that part's merits.

I know several people have said that if you already have an iPhone, get the Apple TV, and I can't argue. It makes it seamless. But if you want something thats a little more open, and even at 5 years old still one of the most powerful set-top-boxes out there.. Get y'self an Nvidia Shield. In fact I think they even released an updated one in 2019 called the Shield Pro. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv-pro/

Seriously, i've had em all. Roku, AppleTV, Firestick and FireTV (not the cube tho), Raspberry Pi setups, etc etc etc. So far nothing has beat out the Shield.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Slight downside of the Apple TV 4th gen over 4k is you are limited to 10/100base t over Ethernet. Using the wireless will be faster than wired since it’s 802.11ac capable. The Apple TV 4K includes a gigabit Ethernet port.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Slight downside of the Apple TV 4th gen over 4k is you are limited to 10/100base t over Ethernet. Using the wireless will be faster than wired since it’s 802.11ac capable. The Apple TV 4K includes a gigabit Ethernet port.

Interesting point - i’d be using it wirelessly, should I be concerned?

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
+1 to the shield recommendation. If you’re cutting the cord or need the solution that can do everything this is the one. If you are on iphones and want the no muss no fuss solution than grab the appropriate apple tv device.

I would also recommend if you’re going to spend money on one get the top of the line model of whatever you’re getting. You want this to last and be viable for years.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
+1 to the shield recommendation. If you’re cutting the cord or need the solution that can do everything this is the one. If you are on iphones and want the no muss no fuss solution than grab the appropriate apple tv device.

I would also recommend if you’re going to spend money on one get the top of the line model of whatever you’re getting. You want this to last and be viable for years.

It's for his kids' play room. Get the cheapest set possible that does the job.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
It's for his kids' play room. Get the cheapest set possible that does the job.
Ah. Makes sense. In that case, prob an apple tv or a roku would be your best bet.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
You shouldn’t be concerned really. Some people are surprised when they find out wired speeds are slower than wireless. Normally it’s the opposite. You’ll primarily only see a difference in downloading apps or on initial buffering When streaming, at least in real world

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I prefer these boxes/sticks to smart TV's. Smart TV apps are often stripped down and lack features. They are often slow and eventually stop working. Do you think the 5+ year old Smart TV's are getting Disney+? probably not.
Plus, I can upgrade to the next box for <$100 and get all the zippy updates. I dont need a new TV.

My house is entirely Roku, tho they are all pretty comparable these days. I prefer it as a neutral platform.
- It's still Alexa enabled for voice controls.
- It has the best cross-platform search engine. It pains me this doesnt exist online. Want to see where to watch original Ghostbusters? Just search.
- You can pair the audio to any bluetooth speaker via your phone.
- Wireless Desktop projection.

The main negative , the built in media player doesn't support all audio codecs. Probably because they dont want to officially license them. I just need to make sure files are h.264 for best compatibility and playback. things like xvid do not always work.

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
+1 for Ruku, we have one just for Disney+ for the kids. It cost <$30 and there is/was a promo for 1 year free of Disney+...