What popped your gaming cherry?

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Moon Cresta
Great classic game :buttrock:

My gaming interests predates even the classics like Space Invaders, Galaxian, Asteroids, Night Driver...even Classic Sprint. The aw so glorious age of Pinball Machines when we had the first game room in Mesa, AZ called "Penner's Place" back in 1972. Still tinkering with games over 50 years later as I go into my 44th year of my work with arcades ;)

Damn but I'm old!!! 💀

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
My mom bought me a NES w/ SMB and Rad Racer for Christmas 1987 I was 11. Before that was never interested or had played any video games. I was immediately hooked after playing these two games. I still remember the feeling of opening that present and was not sure if I was going to like it or not lol. I remember Rad Racer having the 3d glasses I was just blown away.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Getting an NES with Super Mario Bros. didn't quite do it. It was Contra on the NES that pushed me over the edge.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Some pinball machine then came Pong.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I am the youngest of 3 brothers and both my parents played video games too, so we had several consoles as far back as I'm able to remember:
NES
Genesis
Atari 2600
Game Boy
Game Gear

Didn't get a Super Nintendo until the late 90s but my grandma had one I played all the time. Couldn't tell you what system or game I played first.

The first console I actually remember getting was the Saturn, which my dad bought as a Christmas gift for all three of us when I was 5. VF2, Daytona, Virtua Cop.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
The way the story goes as far as my first interest in video games was that when i was about 2 years old the local grocery store had a Rampage arcade machine at the front of the store and I was absolutely magnetically drawn to the thing. My mom would let me stand in the basket, put my hands on the controls and just stand there and watch the attract mode.
One of the cashiers began to notice how obsessed i was with the arcade machine every week when mom would take me shopping and eventually told my mom that they needed to get me an NES and plop me in front of the TV so she could take a nap. I was turning 3 about then and she wasnt sure id even be able to play the games. The cashier was like “believe me, he will figure it out and even if he doesnt hes gonna be glued to the thing so you can actually get some rest for a while during the day.” So that finally sold my parents on getting me a NES with 8 or 9 games out of the local trading post listings. Smb, dick tracy, battletoads, rad racer, tmnt, beach volleyball, faxanadu, trog, and one or two other rather crap titles. Lol

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The way the story goes as far as my first interest in video games was that when i was about 2 years old the local grocery store had a Rampage arcade machine at the front of the store and I was absolutely magnetically drawn to the thing. My mom would let me stand in the basket, put my hands on the controls and just stand there and watch the attract mode.
One of the cashiers began to notice how obsessed i was with the arcade machine every week when mom would take me shopping and eventually told my mom that they needed to get me an NES and plop me in front of the TV so she could take a nap. I was turning 3 about then and she wasnt sure id even be able to play the games. The cashier was like “believe me, he will figure it out and even if he doesnt hes gonna be glued to the thing so you can actually get some rest for a while during the day.” So that finally sold my parents on getting me a NES with 8 or 9 games out of the local trading post listings. Smb, dick tracy, battletoads, rad racer, tmnt, beach volleyball, faxanadu, trog, and one or two other rather crap titles. Lol
That cashier smashed your mom while you were distracted btw

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
SF2 at the local mall, closely aligned with Pick-A-Dilly pair on the Apple IIc.