What the fuck is Raiden V’s problem?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’ve tried a few times, and I just can’t w/ this game.

Three scrolls of left widget screens, the constant talking, the 1pt typeface of the dialog on the right side pane *and* the main screen simultaneously , the ‘cheer’ mechanic, and I’m supposed to shoot and dodge during all of this distraction fuckery?

Am I missing something, or is this game as bad as I think it is?

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Ha! You're not wrong, they really do coat the screen with all sorts of shit, just leaving that little skinny play screen in the middle. I still liked it though, call me crazy. All the talking brought me back to those mid-90s shooters with FMV where they talk to you a lot during battle. Stuff like Rebel Assault, Top Gun Fire at Will, some of those 3do games. I always thought those were cool. Yeah, it's definitley un-Raiden, but I can't lie, I still had gun with it.

Anyway, isn't there a way to minimize some of the crap on screen in the settings?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’m going to give it another whirl w/ voice volume zeroed out and black wall paper, and see if it’s better that way.

I’m all for dialog/cutscenes…DownLoad2 is one of my favorite shooties.

The information overload on Raiden V is just egregious tho, lol.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
It would definitley be easier to focus without all of that craziness going on. The gameplay itself just isn't nearly as good as the previous entries in the series though. I still enjoy it, and had fun with it, but I think the gameplay is a level or two below IV. I liked a few of the powerup shots quite a bit though.

You know, thinking about it, they probably spent too much of the development and resources on story with the voices and animations, and not enough on the actual game. Or perhaps they finished the game, the publisher was underwhelmed, so they threw all that extra crazy shit in there on the sides to dress it up. I assume it started as an arcade due to the aspect ratio.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I’ve tried a few times, and I just can’t w/ this game.

Three scrolls of left widget screens, the constant talking, the 1pt typeface of the dialog on the right side pane *and* the main screen simultaneously , the ‘cheer’ mechanic, and I’m supposed to shoot and dodge during all of this distraction fuckery?

Am I missing something, or is this game as bad as I think it is?
I couldn’t click with V either, Do you think it’s gotten too far away from the arcade roots with the added nonsense? I recently got IV Mikado Remix for PS5 so I need to spend some time with that.

The biggest problem though is it doesn’t have Fighters in the title.

Fighters series > Mainline series

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
The core game is fine imho, and the music is pretty good. The side stuff can be distracting sometimes, but some of it (voices and cheer system) can be turned off.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Pretty much the first thing I did in Raiden V is disable voices and text in the play area. Fuck that shit.

On the subject of the cheer mechanic, try pausing the game. Watch as random "cheers" still coming in, like we're supposed to believe a bunch of random people are cheering our game in particular even though we're not even doing anything LOL.

Once you turn all that stuff off, it's a decent game. It's a bit long and has inconsistent pacing though; this really shows the difference between a game made for arcades and a game made for consoles.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
It's a bit long and has inconsistent pacing though; this really shows the difference between a game made for arcades and a game made for consoles.

Jackpot.

This is what is hitting me wrong about this game. It’s missing my biggest stokes from STG games, and…it’s like an open faced sandwich.

Sure, open faced sandwiches can be tasty…but when you are in the mood for a club sandwich, that’s what you are in the mood for.

After spending more time with it, I’m done spending time with it.
DX, II, FightersJet, hell-Viper Phase One are all better versions than V.

And Moss isn’t all bad…I’ll just stick to their older games like Macross +.

Last edited:

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I was unfamiliar with V but after watching a gameplay video I can see I have no business spending any time with it.

The first couple Raiden games were old school shooter goodness at its finest and the Fighters series ushered the series into the next generation of hardware, graphics and gameplay.

After the early 00’s I kinda fell off with the new releases. Cave stuff was dropping left and right and the prices of the PCBs were too high for me to keep up with.