What Tv to play Neo

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I would say CRT as the Neo is designed for RGB CRT arcade monitors. As CRT monitors are analog, they tone down some of the pixelation of Neo graphics.
For a UK TV it would have to be one of the newer models (made in about the last 10 years) that can play in 60Hz/NTSC mode. I think UK TV's commonly have SCART input, so you would get one with one of those.

For an LCD, it would have to be at least a 60Hz-100Hz model, rather than 50Hz. Some LCDs, you can change the aspect mode to 4:3 (so it doesn't stretch the image, and has black bars on left and right of screen). That would be the way to do it. I have a 76cm Panasonic widescreen CRT which you can set to 4:3 mode, and the result is very good (with component input).

There are also LED monitors coming out, I haven't had a chance to check these out yet.

Last edited:

slugger_dan

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
For a UK TV it would have to be one of the newer models (made in about the last 10 years) that can play in 60Hz/NTSC mode. I think UK TV's commonly have SCART input, so you would get one with one of those.

The best option, RGB on a CRT is the best you'll get. LCD tv will have to scale the image and deinterlace which can end up with a worse looking image and the lag time in image processing can completely destroy gameplay, it varies massively from tv to tv though.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Easy question. CRT. Old consoles weren't designed for LCD and it shows. LCDs have to deinterlace the signal. If it's HD it has to approximate the old resolution. Some TVs have refresh or lag problems. Don't even get me started about people with widescreen LCDs who stretch the picture.

Malone

n00b
ok so CRT is the way forward!! Which brand is best to go with? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question I just want to make sure I buy the right one! I thought my pc monitor would run my neo geo but its seriously struggling with it :(

Time to buy a new TV :D

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Look for a Sony CRT. WEGA or one of their other recent flat CRT TVs. They are a dime a dozen on craigslist (classified adds site, for those of you in an area without craigslist) and look and work wonderfully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

This list gives all the stats on all of Sony's nice CRT's.

I have often seen their top of the line 16:9 1080i TV with HDMI for $100, amazing deal seeing that it was released at $2200 or so.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Look for a Sony CRT. WEGA or one of their other recent flat CRT TVs. They are a dime a dozen on craigslist (classified adds site, for those of you in an area without craigslist) and look and work wonderfully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

This list gives all the stats on all of Sony's nice CRT's.

I have often seen their top of the line 16:9 1080i TV with HDMI for $100, amazing deal seeing that it was released at $2200 or so.

I remember this being discussed a long time ago....the Sony CRT's got a lot of votes.

I have a 26" Panasonic CRT Tube in my cab...works great for me...but then again...I'm not super picky about resolution.

L4byr1nth

Rugal's Thug
I just got a new T.V., and stupidly got rid of my old CRT.

Does anyone know whether a CMVS would work on a Sony Bravia? I don't know much about T.V.'s...

I'm sure I saw a thread with a list of LCD T.V.'s that worked with Neo's, but I couldn't find it in a search :(

Ben.

DaveGeorge

NEST Puppet
My supergun & mvs-setup didn't work out on my LCD, for some reason the picture got all squeezed in on the uppe half of the screen. It wasn't pretty I tell you.

So I bought a used 28" Panasonic CRT for some spare change (they go pretty cheap nowadays) and now gaming is a breeze :)

sackashiet

Banned
CRT is the best option for compatibility and picture quality. A lot of the newer HDTV LCDS have a really hard time with the old refresh rates from arcade pcbs and MVS boards. however since you're in the UK and have SCART, maybe that doesn't apply to you.

I have to use a video encoder since US/Canada does not have RGB standard. I had a hard time with my hdtv LCDs and my projector. A sync cleaner from JRok fixed all my compatibility issues though.

Malone

n00b
Thans for the tips, trying to track down a decent CRT isnt going to be easy!! Does anyone know what small sized LCD play neo games ok? My monitor = Fail!!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Keep an eye out in papers and stuff, people are always giving away old CRT's they don't want. Ebay even, people on there sell them for next to nothing. Anything that is 4:3 (square) ratio and has an RGB scart input will do. I'd go for Panasonic or Sony preferably.

A lot of the ebay sales will be pickup only, but there will sometimes be someone close to you.

L4byr1nth

Rugal's Thug
I think I may be able to lay my hands on one, but it means keeping two T.V.'s in my room - shame it won't work on the LCD.

Ben.

boss0033

Kula's Candy
Get a Sony Wega Trinitron. I got a 36 inch about 2 years ago for $300. One of the best investments I ever made. I think the picture looks better than my Neo Candy. Plus, new Sony CRT's are not around anymore so get a used one while you can.

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
Anybody try it on a widescreen plasma?

What do you think I will be better off with . Component video on a plasma or s-video on a regular old tv?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Hey guys, don't forget there's a stickied thread on the front page where various people have posted their TV/Neo compatibility. Many have listed the issues that came up with their TV's.

What do you think I will be better off with . Component video on a plasma or s-video on a regular old tv?

I like component on a CRT myself.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Regular TV. Plasma sucks for games. The difference between S-video and component isn't that big for many classic systems, in my opinion.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Sony Trinitron/Wega's are the best damn TV's ever made without getting into RGB monitors, but there again the Sony PVM series rocks. Bottom line though, CRT's are the way to go for anything classic.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The difference between S-video and component isn't that big for many classic systems, in my opinion.
Component is definitely better than s-video. From best to worst the connection types for Neo Geo go like this:

RGB (SCART)
Component yuv
s-video
Composite (RCA)
RF

For a UK tv u would have to get a UK SCART cable from a UK ebay seller, not an official boxed SNK cable (which are Japanese-wired SCART). Plus you would have to ask the seller if it really is wired for RGB, sometimes you open them up and find they are just wired for composite. The official SCART standard supports RGB, composite and stereo audio on the one SCART cable(all together at once, and u switch between RGB and composite). But the Neo only supports mono audio on the SCART cable connection. I think the RGB cables from UK sellers are normally just wired for RGB, not composite.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Get a Sony Wega Trinitron. I got a 36 inch about 2 years ago for $300. One of the best investments I ever made. I think the picture looks better than my Neo Candy. Plus, new Sony CRT's are not around anymore so get a used one while you can.

I have a 27 inch Sony Wega Trinitron and its probably the best tv I ever owned. Don't know how I would play the classics without it. Even playing the Neo in composite looks good and when I hook up the component cables, FORGET ABOUT IT!

Celestein

n00b
I use a Sony 34inch XBR960.

It doesn't have SCART(since mines American), but it's generally considered *the* best CRT ever made. It can however accept RGB over component, which is what I use on it.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
I have a 34XBR910, pretty much identical to the 960 but with DVI instead of HDMI and no digital tuner.

So when you say your 960 accepts RGB through component what exactly do you mean? Do you mean it accepts some sort of Analog RGB straight off an arcade board/modded Genesis/SNES, or are you simply saying that it has "component" input for "component RGB"

I use a Sony 34inch XBR960.

It doesn't have SCART(since mines American), but it's generally considered *the* best CRT ever made. It can however accept RGB over component, which is what I use on it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a 34XBR910, pretty much identical to the 960 but with DVI instead of HDMI and no digital tuner.

So when you say your 960 accepts RGB through component what exactly do you mean? Do you mean it accepts some sort of Analog RGB straight off an arcade board/modded Genesis/SNES, or are you simply saying that it has "component" input for "component RGB"

In the world today they call Component, RGB. It's just dumb. If there was a separate input for sync then I would believe it.