What type of eprom programer do you use / recommend for fixing retro game/consoles etc

Neogeoman106st

Crossed Swords Squire
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I was not sure 100%

Ok so like the title says what type of eprom programer do people use and would recommend. I am not looking to kill the bank account on one or anything but I need something for repairing my growing mvs collection if needed and maybe some other retro games etc.I don’t think it will get a ton of use but who knows. So I was looking at a TL866II Plus Universal Minipro Programmer but it’s limited to 40 pin dips. I think I saw an adapter but not sure how easy it is to get.

I have a mvs game (ninja combat) I need to fix so any advice would be great.
Also if any one knows what type of EPROMs help would be great.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I have used a top 2049 and top 3000 with great success and you don't need a 42 pin adapter. The only issue I have had is with one particular rom on neo carts (m1 or s1 IIRC) but an adapter to swap 2 pins works, or I have heard the latest update may fix it.

Otherwise though I have done full CPS2 and MVS conversions/repair with a top3000. There are other options but that's my trusty ol Bessie.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
90% of my EPROM tasks in the past have dealt with 8-bit EPROMs, so I have just a cheapo Willem 8-bit EPROM parallel programmer, I use it with a Windows XP Core 2 Duo PC. It still works fine after all these years.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
90% of my EPROM tasks in the past have dealt with 8-bit EPROMs, so I have just a cheapo Willem 8-bit EPROM parallel programmer, I use it with a Windows XP Core 2 Duo PC. It still works fine after all these years.
Same here. I also have the 16-bit adapter. If I did more, I'd get a better one.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I've got a 48-pin Batronix and it works really well. Not exactly cheap, though.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I was not sure 100%

Ok so like the title says what type of eprom programer do people use and would recommend. I am not looking to kill the bank account on one or anything but I need something for repairing my growing mvs collection if needed and maybe some other retro games etc.I don’t think it will get a ton of use but who knows. So I was looking at a TL866II Plus Universal Minipro Programmer but it’s limited to 40 pin dips. I think I saw an adapter but not sure how easy it is to get.

I have a mvs game (ninja combat) I need to fix so any advice would be great.
Also if any one knows what type of EPROMs help would be great.
the adapters are easy to find on ebay. I use a 866 and I've yet to find anything I've needed it to read/write that it couldnt

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I have a TL866II+, works flawless for NeoGeo BIOS EPROM, also has basic tests for SRAM and logic ICs.
I have an adapter for when I need to burn BIOS for model 1 Sega Saturn (the one with the DIP ROM).