Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Etrian Odyssey I-III

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Anyone play this?

Was it any good?
I have not. It was never originally released in English, and I've been holding off on the Switch remake in hopes that yesterday would come.

I am a big fan of the HD-2D look, though I understand it's not for everybody. I remember being blown away when Octopath was first announced. They got me to double-dip on that one, but I learned my lesson and waited on the others.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I have not. It was never originally released in English, and I've been holding off on the Switch remake in hopes that yesterday would come.

I am a big fan of the HD-2D look, though I understand it's not for everybody. I remember being blown away when Octopath was first announced. They got me to double-dip on that one, but I learned my lesson and waited on the others.

Why PC over Switch though? I mean I get it for graphically intensive games. Is it the resolution bump? 1080 vs 4k, right?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Why PC over Switch though? I mean I get it for graphically intensive games. Is it the resolution bump? 1080 vs 4k, right?
To play it on steamdeck maybe instead of the switch.
That's half of it. The other half is that we just watched the Wii U and 3DS eShops close, and Nintendo hasn't had backward compatibility for more than one generation since the original DS (and I am not completely sure it was anymore). I have had every game I've bought on Steam over the last 20+ years available and playable that entire time.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Yeah it's pretty good, there's a lot of goofy humor and it just has a unique fun vibe compared to other Square rpgs from that era.

The day I got my SD2SNES adapter to play the translated version is the day they announced the remake.

I think I'll get the switch version now.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

Ignoring that the vast majority of Switch games aren't in 1080p anyway (handheld mode maxes out at 720p, I believe?), there's no guarantee your game, download or system will work in 5 years on a Nintendo product (in fact, they've made it perfectly clear that it won't). If people are fine with that (and there's plenty of people who are), vaya con dios but there's a number of reasons to never buy a non-Nintendo game for a Nintendo console.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Ignoring that the vast majority of Switch games aren't in 1080p anyway (handheld mode maxes out at 720p, I believe?), there's no guarantee your game, download or system will work in 5 years on a Nintendo product (in fact, they've made it perfectly clear that it won't). If people are fine with that (and there's plenty of people who are), vaya con dios but there's a number of reasons to never buy a non-Nintendo game for a Nintendo console.

I'm just going to buy it physically.

Also, wouldn't the same rules apply to Steam? Don't games get delisted?

And not for nothing, Nintendo has not disabled your ability to re-download purchased games:

Even after March 27, 2023, and for the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to redownload games and DLC, receive software updates and enjoy online play on Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Probably cheaper find a nice used copy rather than DLing from the shop anyways. If you play in handheld mode a lot on Switch I can see this being a very good game for that.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

If you're playing a game that relies on downloading patches (which is like 99% of games at this point), you're still at Nintendo's mercy. Buying physical at this point is kind of stupid. In addition to wasting space, the thing that's in the box is rarely a playable game any more without an internet connection and it's almost never the complete game. You buy something on Steam, it'll work on any desktop/laptop that the game supports (and Windows compatibility modes work pretty well for even those older, "unsupported" games) until the heat death of the universe. Once again, there are people who don't give a shit about that and that's fine, I guess. But there are plenty of reasons not to buy shit on a Nintendo platform unless you have to.

Also, wouldn't the same rules apply to Steam? Don't games get delisted?

Almost never and the rare times they do, it's the publisher that does so, not Valve (usually because of a licensing issue). Steam is by no means perfect (particularly on the developer/publisher side... it has a notoriously haphazard approval process and terrible game discovery) but they've ironed out 99.9% of the technical and interface issues and Valve is by far the most consumer-friendly of all of the digital platforms.

And not for nothing, Nintendo has not disabled your ability to re-download purchased games:

Even after March 27, 2023, and for the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to redownload games and DLC, receive software updates and enjoy online play on Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

Give them time. Wii downloads weren't available at all for months last year because Nintendo decided they needed to perform "maintenance". Nintendo is notoriously cheap. The second they think they can take down those servers without too much pushback, they will.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dude the game just came out a couple months ago, I'm sure if he buys a physical copy he'll be good for at least a few years. Plus he can always sell it once he's done and then it's somebody else future problem. I don't think he's planning to keep it forever lol.

I do agree with not buying digitally from Nintendo though, they are a shit company.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member

Good news, it's not only a Japan release

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Etrian Odyssey I-III

How the fuck did I miss Etrian Odyssey on PC?!? Been dungeon crawling a lot lately
Also, Ninja Warriors on PC, about time!