What was THEEE first Neo game you ever played, MVS/AES

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
CD doesn't count you poseurs.

For me if I can remember correctly, it was either Fatal Fury, or Ninja Combat at the arcade on a 6 slot behemoth. It was right then that I knew Terry was the baddest assest. Then I saw the Burn Knuckle - and yeah. Baddest assest.

Like him better with the torn sleeves tho, c'man. (c'man).

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Aero Fighters 2 at a beach house my family rented. At that point in time, I had no idea it was a Neo Geo game. Several years later, Magical Drop 3 was the first Neo game I played knowing it was on the platform.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
"CD doesn't count you poseurs."

On the surface, I would agree with that statement but to be honest, being in the scene from 99/2000 makes a solid argument against it. SNK USA proper had a special sale where you would get a system & four games of your choice for a great package price. That was one of the best purchases I ever made. Then came the flood of NOS & it was like Christmas spread out over the coarse of the next few years.

Plus, when the CD was first released the first gen titles only had one initial load plus superior A/V out so playing the likes of Nam, Magician Lord, BB Stars 2 would have been just as great in 94/95, etc.

Anyway, in keeping with criteria of your thread, I can can't say exactly which game & where/when but I do have a general memory of the first handful:

- Sam Sho: On an MVS cab at the now defunct go kart track & batting cages over in Centereach as a kid when there with friends. The facility is still there on the property & has been abandoned for years. I stopped by there a few months back as I had to stop by a business next to it. It is all run down & decaying. Checked out the room where the arcade (and that cab) was just cuz & it was a shame to see the place in the state it fell into. Eh, time moves on.

- Sam Sho 3: Played it on an MVS cab as a kid at a camp ground that my family & I were staying at. The small arcade setup was in an upstairs space in one of the front buildings when you would check it. I remembered being impressed with that game. The graphics were amazing for the time & the dark atmosphere made a mark. SSIII will always be one of my fav's.

I also remember playing Sengoku on an MVS cab VERY early on but I cannot remember where.

There was this great arcade here in Smith Haven mall back in the early 90's, but I can't remember playing any Neo games there. I know I played me some Final Fight.

Later on & rocked allot of Metal Slug at my local Sports Plus plus, then came China Town Fair & there was a plethora of MVS games there plus those were the days of the new releases of the early 2000's so having those fresh in the cabs with the players waiting their turn was tits.

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
World Heroes was the first game that I consciously recognized as a Neo Geo game. It was fucking insane. I still remember it really vividly. I can probably pinpoint the exact day I played it. This is a really great memory. That was probably almost exactly 29 years ago, which is similarly fucking insane. I still really love World Heroes because of this experience. The sounds in the game, specifically, still manage to transport me back to that August, 1992 afternoon when I was 7 years old. That arcade was the real thing. It was called The Gamer’s Edge, and it was where I first played a lot of Neo Geo games that came out in 1992 and 1993. This was where I played Samurai Shodown and Samurai Shodown II for the first time as well, right around their respective release dates.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I didn't play on an actual Neo Geo AES until the mid 2000's when I was able to afford one. But In terms of ports I believe it was Fatal Fury on the Megadrive in the early 90's but it didn't matter because I didn't know what SNK was at the time.

As for actual Neo Geo arcade games it was King of Fighters 95 which was where it all began for me. Street Fighter Alpha being my favourite game of all time at the time, There were kids arguing in the school yard about which game was better, Street fighter Alpha or this KoF 95 they were talking about. So after school we went to the arcade to see what this SNK game was. And although I didn't think it was better than my beloved SF Alpha, I loved the realistic yet very Manga look the KoF 95 had and Kyo also caught my attention.

Some other kids were pointing put that the Bogard brothers from Fatal Fury was in the game and I was very exited to see Chen for the first time because Drunken Master was one of my favourite movies at the time. And that was the beginning of my SNK adventure.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
My first experience of anything neo was on an AES at a pay by the hour game place when i was 4 years old, i dont remember the first title, but the games i recall playing that day were art of fighting, blues journey, cyber-lip, and mag lord, with cyber-lip and blues journey being my favorites of the day.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It was either Sengoku or SamSho the first game I played at a local arcade followed by Super Sidekicks. All three games still hold a special place in my heart lol.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Played Fatal Fury 1 at my local arcade when it released and my love for the Neo Geo/SNK was born.

Though, back then I thought Terry’s outfit strongly resembled the standard red hat and long-sleeved jack uniform worn by Dominos Pizza delivery workers back then :lolz:

After countless hours of Fatal Fury 1, its sequel, and watching Masami Obari’s Fatal Fury films that followed in the early/mid 90’s, I was a hooked Terry Bogard and crew fan for life. :buttrock:

Last edited:

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer
I believe it was Ninja Combat. I remember the game felt wrong and sucked the money out of my kid pockets way too quick - but the sound effects and the stupid huge weapons worked their magic on my little brain. :loco:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
When the Neo first came to my town there were already quite a few games out and everything was four slot so it’s hard to remember which was first but I probably played on the same day Fatal Fury, King of Monsters, Sengoku, stuff like that. Fatal Fury was THE game for a while. I still miss the two-on-one stuff and the arm wrestling and such. That game was pure trash culture amusement, carnies on parade. I only wish I could have played in on a boardwalk to cement the legitimacy of the moment but sadly it was in a then new mall.

The Neo CD kinda sucks but there is nothing poseur about it. SNK gave that thing their all and the experience was terrific. PlayStation stuff is the crap. Always.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
First actual cart was KOF'96 but the first Neo Geo game I ever played was KOF'98 in NeorageX.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
The first Neo game I saw running was Magician Lord on that Nick Arcade show back in 1991 or so. The first Neo game I actually got to play was Samurai Shodown and FF2 on a Big Red at the local Aladdin's Castle in mid 1993.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
119657-Magician_Lord_(Set_1)-1460171719-thumb.jpg

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Played Fatal Fury 1 at my local arcade when it released and my love for the Neo Geo/SNK was born.

Though, back then I thought Terry’s outfit strongly resembled the standard red hat and long-sleeved jack uniform worn by Dominos Pizza delivery workers back then :lolz:

After countless hours of Fatal Fury 1, its sequel, and watching Masami Obari’s Fatal Fury films that followed in the early/mid 90’s, I was a hooked Terry Bogard and crew fan for life. :buttrock:
Dude, the FF movies were/are awesome. Ive got them on DVD. I remember watching the Samurai Shodown one and... it wasn't great lol.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I remember when I first started reading about the Neo in stuff like EGM, or seeing it for sale in the Electronics Boutique mailers (remember those?!) and they had images of Magician Lord and Ghost Pilots. I remember me and my friend losing our minds at the image of the giant explosion in GP.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Let it go on record that HornheaDD gave my post a like literally 10 seconds after I posted it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I remember when I first started reading about the Neo in stuff like EGM, or seeing it for sale in the Electronics Boutique mailers (remember those?!) and they had images of Magician Lord and Ghost Pilots. I remember me and my friend losing our minds at the image of the giant explosion in GP
What a time to be alive. I know. I was there, too.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
lol I had just typed up a response when that pop up "there are new posts you wanna see em" came up :D :D

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Dude, the FF movies were/are awesome. Ive got them on DVD. I remember watching the Samurai Shodown one and... it wasn't great lol.
Hell yeah :buttrock: I’m hyped to see Masami Obari return to make the animated special/promo for kofxv

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Puzzle Bobble/Bust a Move was literally everywhere, so it had to have been that. I specifically remember my local theatre having a red one-slot MVS cab with Puzzle Bobble, which was probably the first time I realized the "MVS" system was a thing. I played it a ton cause it gave me good value for my tokens :lolz: