whats a good (preferably free) dvd ripping program for macs?

Orochi_invisibleink

Ghost of Captain Kidd
title says it all. just looking to get a dvd ripping program for my mac but searching "dvd ripping software" yields a lot of expensive stuff, fake crap, or both so i thought id save some time and get a tip from someone so i know it actually works..

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Definitely Handbrake. It's got a lot of options, but it's still really straightforward and easy to use.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
A "friend" of mine uses Mac the Ripper, which is free and works very well.

To burn the Audio / Video _TS files "he" uses a cracked version of DVD2Xone that "he" dl'd for free off of Limewire.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
"he" dl'd for free off of Limewire.

Your "friend" should find a better place to download stuff.

And "he" should have just cracked Toast 8 instead.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
Mac the Ripper, a little tougher to find than it used to be but anyone who can navigate the tubes and the googles can find it with no problem. Use MtR if you simply want to rip the DVD into uncompressed video and audio folders. There are two versions, 2.6.6 is the stable release, but it isn't Universal Binary...around the torrents you can find the UB version that's in Beta. Frankly, you don't need UB since the only thing that is PPC reliant is the GUI front end, all the encoding is done using UNIX commands.

If you're looking to encode then you have a few options.

Handbrake is now called Media Fork...it's a much better program now and gives you a lot of options, but you need to learn a little bit about audio bitrates and video resolution if you want to export directly into iPod or PSP formats.

Use iSquint to export any already encoded video directly to iPod, or sacrifice $23 for VisualHub which can turn ANY kind of video into ANY other kind of video...its really hard to find a pirated copy that's updated and it's well worth the $23 bucks.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I use Mediafork to rip with standard settings - I have 80 movies on my laptop HD

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
One more vote for Mac the Ripper. But I've only used it once.