Whats the cheapest JAMMA game that doesn't totally suck?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I have a relatively rare pcb I just purchased (waiting for it to arrive) and before I plug in and test my supergun on something that is extremely hard to replace, I want to test it on something cheap.

But I want suggestions! What's the cheapest JAMMA standard game that isn't a total dud? I have a few in mind, but thought this would be fun too :multi_co:

and GO! (thanks everyone)

note : I know what's cheap...I mean I can browse eBay all day...this is more for fun and to hear peoples comments vs. a "help me with X" thread

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Depends on who wants to let go of what. Everyone who starts with a supergun (which seems like everyone when I started two years ago) wants a cheap, fun game, so there's not many "cheap" games. It's probably best to post a WTB thread, or snipe an auction, and see what happens.

FWIW, I picked up a sweet deal on a Battle Riders Club pcb from dubs for cheap. Expect to pay $40 plus for anything if you're impatient. Or check out DZ's thread for $50 games.

But I have to ask, how do you not have a cheap pcb, but you just bought a rare one?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Depends on who wants to let go of what. Everyone who starts with a supergun (which seems like everyone when I started two years ago) wants a cheap, fun game, so there's not many "cheap" games. It's probably best to post a WTB thread, or snipe an auction, and see what happens.

FWIW, I picked up a sweet deal on a Battle Riders Club pcb from dubs for cheap. Expect to pay $40 plus for anything if you're impatient. Or check out DZ's thread for $50 games.

But I have to ask, how do you not have a cheap pcb, but you just bought a rare one?

I've been looking for a certain game for a while now (Konami M2 hardware) out of hardware curiosity / still being annoyed they cancelled the M2 back in 97 when I had a pre-order haha. Plus I am a huge Twinbee fan and I've always wanted to play Polystars.

I just assembled all my supergun stuff. While I plan on collecting different types of pcb's, I wanted to "pop my cherry" on something I've been looking for for a while now. If that makes sense

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I've been looking for a certain game for a while now (Konami M2 hardware) out of hardware curiosity / still being annoyed they cancelled the M2 back in 97 when I had a pre-order haha. Plus I am a huge Twinbee fan and I've always wanted to play Polystars.

I just assembled all my supergun stuff. While I plan on collecting different types of pcb's, I wanted to "pop my cherry" on something I've been looking for for a while now. If that makes sense

Tekken 3 is fantastic and DZ has one for $50 shipped.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Never knew these existed till just now. Pretty fun backstory on them too

Yea in Japan you could not ship a cab without a pcb in it. So Dottori Kun was born. It's a cool little pcb to have, it let's you test many things on cabs.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you have a vert setup the first Aero Fighters is usually cheap.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Yea in Japan you could not ship a cab without a pcb in it. So Dottori Kun was born. It's a cool little pcb to have, it let's you test many things on cabs.

I never knew that till I googled it today and read the backstory on all the weird JAMMA test boards. Quite the interesting end run around the laws in Japan. Some creative thinking!

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I never knew that till I googled it today and read the backstory on all the weird JAMMA test boards. Quite the interesting end run around the laws in Japan. Some creative thinking!

We found a few when we imported a bunch of cabs. I still have one in the original box that’s never been opened. I didn’t realize you could change screen colors by triggering the coin mech though until I saw yatons ad awhile back.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Combatribes.

EDIT: Never mind. Looks like it is not a $45 pcb anymore. Gouged like everything else these days.

Last edited:

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Is Strikers 1945 II still under $100? That game has great value.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
All the sub-$50 pcbs are seemingly gone. Now it's all about the sub-$100 pcbs. I can't see it slowing down, either. Get in where you fit in, pcb-n00bs.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Ibara Kuro kit is cheap too. There's one on the shmups forum for 5000 pounds, great deal on it.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist

You have two versions of that test board Sega originally shipped with their empty cabs to avoid tax, the other looks exactly the same and is called Mini Invaders .

0000.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
In all honesty the only thing to test would be the voltage supply, if safety is the point of your test board that is. You know the drill with voltages so as long as they are on point what else could possibly go wrong?

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Ninja Gaiden is a decent game you can usually get for about $80-100. Another good one is Blood Brothers awesome game imo.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
In all honesty the only thing to test would be the voltage supply, if safety is the point of your test board that is. You know the drill with voltages so as long as they are on point what else could possibly go wrong?

No I get it. The supergun voltage is right where it needs to be, so the logical part of my brain says “it’s fine. You know it is”

The paranoid part of my brain says “but what if...” haha

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
No I get it. The supergun voltage is right where it needs to be, so the logical part of my brain says “it’s fine. You know it is”

The paranoid part of my brain says “but what if...” haha

Voltage can vary depending on load, as long as it's not cranked way the hell up initially you'll be fine. Even under no load you'll get a rough voltage.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Voltage can vary depending on load, as long as it's not cranked way the hell up initially you'll be fine. Even under no load you'll get a rough voltage.

Under no load I am @ 4.99-5.01 so that seems to be the sweet spot

I ended up getting a cheap Pandora's Box 4S on Amazon to test. I'll keep it around when people are over and drunk and I don't want expensive pcb's just sitting around (or if it totally sucks I'll just send it back)

If anyone in Chicago wants to come over and play Evil Night in my murder basement (where the big CRT tv is kept) just bring beer and don't tell anyone where you are going lolol