What's the worst household chore?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Decks would be great if not for mosquitos.

Exactly...we live about 700 yards from a large river that likes to flood at least once a year. The mosquito this year have been freaking awful, pretty much rendering our deck useless unless you want to bathe yourself in deet.

Thankfully, the weather is changing and we'll have a solid 4-6 weeks of "deck weather" here real soon.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Exactly...we live about 700 yards from a large river that likes to flood at least once a year. The mosquito this year have been freaking awful, pretty much rendering our deck useless unless you want to bathe yourself in deet.

Thankfully, the weather is changing and we'll have a solid 4-6 weeks of "deck weather" here real soon.
I love the feel of a warm summer night, but can't enjoy it in the suburbs. There aren't many mosquitos downtown in major cities because they spray for them.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Where do you live? Can you try moss?

Live Pacific Northwest...I really prefer flat concrete, maybe put a basketball hoop, for some reason those asshole delivery drivers love to knock mine down on the street. Im not sure if that's code legal to have my front fully paved.

Yeah man, i hate fucking mosquitoes, i get the worse bites. Luckily they dont bother us when we do the hot tub, but when we are trying to watch a movie outside, i get them all the time.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
HDR don’t pave your front yard. Nature is good for you. Trees and shit prevent Alzheimer’s. Everyone is different I guess, but I would think that would hurt the resale value if your home...curb appeal is a big deal.

I’ve always enjoyed working in my yard. The key for me is waking up early in a nice crisp morning and getting it done in a couple of hours. It’s a good activity to get young kids involved with too...gets them some sun and vitamin d.

I have someone else do it now because of my health, but i’ll gladly start again when I’m 100%.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
HDR don’t pave your front yard. Nature is good for you. Trees and shit prevent Alzheimer’s. Everyone is different I guess, but I would think that would hurt the resale value if your home...curb appeal is a big deal.

I’ve always enjoyed working in my yard. The key for me is waking up early in a nice crisp morning and getting it done in a couple of hours. It’s a good activity to get young kids involved with too...gets them some sun and vitamin d.

I have someone else do it now because of my health, but i’ll gladly start again when I’m 100%.

Agreed. Don't concrete your drive hdr, you'll end up living in something that looks like chernobyl.

I see fake grass more and more over here, it's really taken off in the last ten years. Personally I think it's classless but it beats concrete at least. It looks weird in winter though, all shiny green when everything else is lacklustre. Nouveau riche approved.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Ever since i worked at a movie theatre and i had to clean all the popcorn making equipment by hand in a giant industrial sink every night, i got pretty damn good and fast at washing dishes. Now washing dishes at home is easy! Doesnt even phase me anymore. I do them all in just a few minutes.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Agreed. Don't concrete your drive hdr, you'll end up living in something that looks like chernobyl.

I see fake grass more and more over here, it's really taken off in the last ten years. Personally I think it's classless but it beats concrete at least. It looks weird in winter though, all shiny green when everything else is lacklustre. Nouveau riche approved.

Is that really a thing? My wife an I joke about having artificial grass like astro turf from the stadiums. I have yet to see that in my area. My whole area is a bunch of trees. The back is like a mini forest. I will definitely stand out if I do astro turf or pave, probably not in a good way. There is no HOA though. I've seen people cover their yard w rocks/pebbles and bark.

As for resale value, I dont think I'll ever sell the home. We got new 17years ago. The value went up 2.5x since then. The kids will get it when we die or if they need a place to stay.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
One of my neighbors put in fake turf. It looks fine. It's in a small area between their house and the street, though - not backing-up to a forest or anything.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Is that really a thing? My wife an I joke about having artificial grass like astro turf from the stadiums. I have yet to see that in my area. My whole area is a bunch of trees. The back is like a mini forest. I will definitely stand out if I do astro turf or pave, probably not in a good way. There is no HOA though. I've seen people cover their yard w rocks/pebbles and bark.

As for resale value, I dont think I'll ever sell the home. We got new 17years ago. The value went up 2.5x since then. The kids will get it when we die or if they need a place to stay.

Yeah it's really a thing. I don't completely hate it, it's just not for me.

The pros are obvious - you never have to mow it and it always looks very neat. The days of astro turf are long gone - it looks authentic in every way apart from it's uniformity.

The cons i've noticed can be a bit more surprising. In the summer, in direct sunlight on a hot day it gets hot, really hot. Too hot to walk barefoot on. Also you need to vacuum the fucking thing every now and again or you get seeds falling from nearby trees, grass, birdshit etc and vegetation starts to grow on it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yeah it's really a thing. I don't completely hate it, it's just not for me.

The pros are obvious - you never have to mow it and it always looks very neat. The days of astro turf are long gone - it looks authentic in every way apart from it's uniformity.

The cons i've noticed can be a bit more surprising. In the summer, in direct sunlight on a hot day it gets hot, really hot. Too hot to walk barefoot on. Also you need to vacuum the fucking thing every now and again or you get seeds falling from nearby trees, grass, birdshit etc and vegetation starts to grow on it.

If your neighborhood has a significant number of homeowners putting in astroturf and concrete, it's probably time to move on to greener pastures.